LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a stupid question, but is there anyway to weld 2 pieces of metal together and malke a solid/sturdy connection with out a spot welder. Why because i am poor and can't afford one. I am talking about maybe like welding with a propane torch or something.

·
\m/ WTF? FTW! \m/
13,648 Posts
IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO AN OLD BUZZ BOX (STICK WELDING POWER SUPPLY) YOU CAN GET A NICE SPOT WELDER THAT WILL REPRODUCE FACTORY SOPT WELDS FOR ABOUT $80.00.

·
\m/ WTF? FTW! \m/
13,648 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla@Sep 1 2003, 09:25 AM
krazy glue.
actually there is a urethane adhesive on the market strong enough to mount quarter panels and other panels that you would normally have to weld in like floor and rockers. very strong shit, and there is another adhesive that you can actually glue a broken fan belt back together and reuse it.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
like he said BRAZE IT. you can do it witha propane torch and a rod you can get at the hardware store for a few $$.

not as strong as a weld though.

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by ogcaddy+Sep 1 2003, 10:55 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ogcaddy @ Sep 1 2003, 10:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Foompla@Sep 1 2003, 09:25 AM
krazy glue.
actually there is a urethane adhesive on the market strong enough to mount quarter panels and other panels that you would normally have to weld in like floor and rockers. very strong shit, and there is another adhesive that you can actually glue a broken fan belt back together and reuse it.[/b][/quote]
thats why i said it :) the entire lotus elise frame is glued aluminum. I was wondering how many people say "you cant glue metal".

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by dough916@Sep 1 2003, 11:31 AM
like he said BRAZE IT. you can do it witha propane torch and a rod you can get at the hardware store for a few $$.

not as strong as a weld though.
braze??? explain the process please. I want something strong enough to mount foot rests on my bike. it only has to support the weight of my legs. do u think it can be done???

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Get a couple bottles of mapp gas at your local home depot. Get some of the thinnest rod they have. Probably 3/32
Buy the little nozzle to screw in the top of the bottle. When you braze make the metal red hot first then put the braze rod on it and melt it all the way around. The thicker the braze rod the more heat it takes to melt so get the thin stuff. Usually home depot sells white brazing rod with the flux on it for about 5 bucks for a 3 stick tube. THis technique will warp the fuck outa thin metal. Thick metal will be fine for brazing.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Depending on how you braze you shouldent be able to break the pegs off. Even if you jump up and down with 2 fat bitches on the back.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Mapp gas is made for brazing. Just buy a small bottle of it at home depot for like 4 bucks... I think it is. The 3/32 inch rod is like 5 bucks. I think if you braze nuts on a frame of something you will be fine. If you working on really thin metal like newer car bodies, you will warp the metal. Warpage can be hammered out but its a bitch. Lemmie go heat up a nut for you. I am also about to mig weld some nuts to hold the hood props up on my rhyde.

Yea the nuts are fine. I think it would be perfect for a bike frame thick metals dont really warp that easy. Im also pretty sure that its the cheapest way. Just save like 30 bucks and goto home depot.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Ohh yea if your gonna bondo over the braze make sure you sand or grind off most of the flux. The flux chemically reacts to bondo and will look fucked. Remember look for brazing rod its made by lincoln. Its white rod with the flux already on it.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by ogcaddy+Sep 1 2003, 01:55 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ogcaddy @ Sep 1 2003, 01:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Foompla@Sep 1 2003, 09:25 AM
krazy glue.
actually there is a urethane adhesive on the market strong enough to mount quarter panels and other panels that you would normally have to weld in like floor and rockers. very strong shit, and there is another adhesive that you can actually glue a broken fan belt back together and reuse it.[/b][/quote]
I don't think that that adhesive is urethane based. I Have used it lots. Fusor makes the best one, I can't remember the number though, its their structural metal to metal adhesive. Its strong. GM actually accepts it as an acceptable repair procedure!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Why would you want to braze it when you can just gas weld it. It requires the same setup to do both braze and gas welds. You get a rod from any welding store and use it the same way you would braze, only it would be stronger. Look in to it.. Ask at a welding store. Or if your really worried about it, just pay someone with a welder to take care of it.... Some people would do a small weld for nothing, just to help someone out. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Hes asking for a cheap way aint he? If he is the way I explained is the strongest cheap way of doing it. All the brazing materials should be no more then 30 bucks. With an Oxy/Acet it would be aboout 600, mig about 200, arc about 150 for probably the cheapest on the market.

He does have a point just bring it to someone or something to do a guick weld on your frame or whatever. Prolly be the cheapest.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts