LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know from my experience as a welder that most migs have a 60,000 tensal strength, since flux core has a stronger tensal strength of 70.000 lbs. to use it instead of mig wire when welding a frame cause it would be stronger?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Originally posted by incman78@Jan 17 2009, 10:18 PM~12737754
i know from my experience as a welder that most migs have a 60,000 tensal strength, since flux core has a stronger tensal strength of 70.000 lbs. to use it instead of mig wire when welding a frame cause it would be stronger?
You can use flux-core....just really gotta make sure that the metal is really clean! You don`t want perosity or any slag in your welds! Plus it would just look sloppy! :biggrin:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i know i do a lot of pipe welding and structural weldin at m job but i was just thinking that if flux core was stronger than mig that it'd be better for reinforcing a frame. just trying to see what others think.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i know they make mig wire that has the same tensil strength as flux core but you can run the right flux with out gas and the shits stronger.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Originally posted by incman78@Jan 17 2009, 10:43 PM~12737906
yeah i know  i do a lot of pipe welding and structural weldin at m job but i was just thinking that if flux core was stronger than mig that it'd be better for reinforcing a frame. just trying to see what others think.
Personally I wouldn`t go with flux-core! Your fine using a mig as long as its a full pen-weld! I do a lot of welding myself! Ironworker local 377! If you want stronger just look into using AR PLATE! ;) :biggrin:

·
Registered
180 Posts
yeah also as you know flux core tends to create more perosity since the flux is in the wire and only gets released when burned if you want the higher tensil streingth just go with the higher tensil on the mig wire and still get good clean welds since you already know welds are better in an "inert" atmosphere with flux oxygen still gets in there so just go with the higher tensil on the mig.....

my 2 cents :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Mig works great for me, never had a break issue

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
I woudl say on the majority of the frame, it is never going to flex enough to be an issue. mounts, and stuff like that, i would say a strong filler would be better, but usually those are the welds you want looking decent!

if you can happily weld with gasless, I'd do it.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Originally posted by Airborne@Jan 19 2009, 06:22 PM~12751657
Stick (if you have the skills) is the strongest.

thats arc welding right? i was thinkin of buying and arc welder to do some frame work. light reinforcing, welding on power ball perches, and maybe a battery rack or two. would an arc welder do good with this stuff? i bet a mig would be better and cleaner but arc welders are A LOT cheaper.

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
Originally posted by jumper@Jan 19 2009, 06:47 PM~12751887
thats arc welding right? i was thinkin of buying and arc welder to do some frame work. light reinforcing, welding on power ball perches, and maybe a battery rack or two. would an arc welder do good with this stuff? i bet a mig would be better and cleaner but arc welders are A LOT cheaper.

arc welding is how they use to build car frames long ago....someone whos good with an arc welder can lay some nice beads just as someone whos use to using a mig can....

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
i can stick weld but not as good as mig welding...with the mig u can get up close to what ur doing...i have better control over the mig welding gun versus the clamp and foot long stick rod....i like to put my pointer finger on the gun to control my movements for making the arch when welding...

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Honestly guys.....arc welding a frame is a lot more expensive and your only making more work for yourself! As far as the strengh...Mig is just fine! I have done a lot of inshop moment frames for apartment and condo buildings! As well as overpass sections for freeways and used mig! Mig is cheaper, less mess to clean up and a lot more forgiving for errors! Just avoid bullshit and use a mig!

·
Premium Member
13,153 Posts
mig is fine if you use it in spray arc vs short arc,i've been spraying mig and never had any issues with cracks or breaks!besides you get a better penetration and the welds look great

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Sure stick welding is strong, so is gmaw, tig, fcaw etc. It really all comes down to what wire or rod you choose to use and your plate prep.

If you choose stick, use 7018. It's common, works in all postions, designed for dynamically loaded structures (ie: car frame) and has a tensile strength of 70,000psi.

Do not use a fast freeze rod like 6010 for the entire job. You will get cracking with the twisting of the frame.

Mig is just fine. It's fills faster, easy to use, a typically lower heat for less distortion when compared to to say stick 1/4" 7018 and I would say the most cost effective.

If you wanted the strongest, highest quality weld possible, you would tig it. It would take a very long time and would cost way more than the benefits.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Originally posted by lowrivi1967@Jan 19 2009, 10:32 PM~12753888
mig is fine if you use it in spray arc vs short arc,i've been spraying mig and never had any issues with cracks or breaks!besides you get a better penetration and the welds look great

·
IM BACK!!!
7,752 Posts
THere is alot of input in here so Ill toss my 2cents in for the fuc of it.

MIG welding is the easiest to me- I can stic weld- but jus not as pretty. When MOLDING A FRAME- I do some of it with MIG and some of it with STIC--- jus for the fact that stic weldin goes faster for me on the frame rails and penetrates perfectly fine. As for MIGin bein cheaper-- not to me-- to me its cheaper to stic than it is to MIG- with MIG you have to pay for GAS AND WIRE-- with stic its jus all about the rods.

AS far as FLUX CORE-- I say flux core- I dont care what anybody says :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Originally posted by SWIPH@Jan 19 2009, 07:54 PM~12754362
THere is alot of input in here so Ill toss my 2cents in for the fuc of it.

MIG welding is the easiest to me- I can stic weld- but jus not as pretty. When MOLDING A FRAME- I do some of it with MIG and some of it with STIC--- jus for the fact that stic weldin goes faster for me on the frame rails and penetrates perfectly fine.  As for MIGin bein cheaper-- not to me-- to me its cheaper to stic than it is to MIG- with MIG you have to pay for GAS AND WIRE-- with stic its jus all about the rods.

AS far as FLUX CORE-- I say flux core- I dont care what anybody says :biggrin:
I burn stick all the time for structural & ornamental purposes....In the end stick is more expesive! You go through rod after rod! Plus you have to make sure that your rods don`t have any moisture or get wet! Plus if a guy were good he would know that he has to pre heat the rods in a heat box before each use! I`ve wrapped about 2 g-body frames with a lincoln power mig! My regulator dont leak & I used a 220 bottle of 75/25!

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
I burn stick all the time for structural & ornamental purposes....In the end stick is more expesive! You go through rod after rod! Plus you have to make sure that your rods don`t have any moisture or get wet! Plus if a guy were good he would know that he has to pre heat the rods in a heat box before each use! I`ve wrapped about 2 g-body frames with a lincoln power mig! My regulator dont leak & I used a 220 bottle of 75/25!
[/b]

X2, time is money. You clean after pass of weld because of slag, you might have grind out the slag entrapment, grind out porosity or maybe cold starts. More labour intensive.

·
IM BACK!!!
7,752 Posts
[/b]
My heat box is always full. and maybe I jus never realized how expensive the rods really are- or how many I go through cause I do repairs for one of my buddies landscape companies fixin all the shit they break and one day his dad gave me a BED FULL of RODS. Literaly- it was a F-150 stacced of rod boxes. I was shooced- plus he paid me for the job. SO-- maybe when I run out Ill realize it :biggrin:

I still will continue to do both MIG and STIC on the frames with the method I do it now-- it works for me perfect ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts