LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What steps do I take to wetsand and buff my car so it will come out looking like a mirror, what grit sand paper is the best to use for wet sanding and what kind of buffer, pad and buffing compound should I use, any help is appreciated.

This is what I'm workin wit.

Last edited by KC KID at Dec 30 2003, 05:49 PM

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
i would recommend 3M products....i would start with something like a 1200 grit interface pad...probably do this step dry...then go to a softer sanding pad and 1500 grit paper and keep it wet as u work...then do it again in 2000 grit wet......now u should be ready to polish with a power buffer....i would use a wool pad first with some liquid perfect-it II Rubbing Compound...next would be a 3M diamond-shaped foam finish pad with some Perfect-it Foam Polishing Pad Glaze....then with Finesse-it II finishing Material.....then apply a Hand Glaze by hand with a soft cotton towel...i think this should give u general idea of how its done....be careful around all the edges and ridges of the body panels...u can burn through them real easy...u may want to tape them off and do them by hand....whichever brand of products u decide to use i would use the same brand for all of it....3M works great...thats all we ever used at the detail shop i used to work at......if the clear is shiny and scratch and swirl free now...u may not need to do the sanding.... :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bro, I didn't no it was so many steps of sanding and buffing, appreciate it though...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
like i said if its not that bad now...u might be able to get by with just buffing it and hand glaze....u could probably get it completely buffed out at a detail shop for under $100....depending how bad it is....less if its not bad at all.... :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not bad at all, I just want to bring it out looking really wet, I have over a gallon and a half of clear on it, and I know giving it a good wetsand and buff will make it look real nice.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
yeah if its got that much clear on it u will be fine with a minor wet sanding and buffing....it'll definetaly shine when ur done....Meguiars also has a polishing kit out that works well too....maybe just try some of the final steps of the polishing system and hand glaze... :dunno:

·
Registered
949 Posts
if you can get your hands on Fareclla G3 compound get it ..

use 1500 then 2000 hit it with the g3 compound then finish polish with the 3m perfect it. and use a top quality pad .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts