LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I GOT 6 BATTS IN 2 BAYS OF 3 WHICH BATTERY DO I HOOK IT TOO... ITS BEEN HOOKED UP TO THE FIRST BATT IN ONE OF THE BAYS... BUT I ALWAYS THOUGHT IT WENT TO THE 2ND BATT.... I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM YET JUST WONDERING/??

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Originally posted by TUXNUTZ@Oct 13 2003, 05:11 PM
OK I GOT 6 BATTS IN 2 BAYS OF 3 WHICH BATTERY DO I HOOK IT TOO... ITS BEEN HOOKED UP TO THE FIRST BATT IN ONE OF THE BAYS... BUT I ALWAYS THOUGHT IT WENT TO THE 2ND BATT.... I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM YET JUST WONDERING/??
ur 2nd batt. its should have only 24 volts to it, no more than that unless u want a burnt up switch box.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Originally posted by hittin back bumper+Oct 13 2003, 05:26 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hittin back bumper @ Oct 13 2003, 05:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--TUXNUTZ@Oct 13 2003, 05:11 PM
OK I GOT 6 BATTS   IN 2  BAYS OF 3     WHICH  BATTERY DO I HOOK IT TOO... ITS BEEN HOOKED UP TO THE FIRST BATT    IN  ONE OF THE BAYS...  BUT I ALWAYS THOUGHT IT WENT TO THE  2ND  BATT.... I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM YET   JUST WONDERING/??
ur 2nd batt. its should have only 24 volts to it, no more than that unless u want a burnt up switch box.[/b][/quote]
excatly what he said

It should always be on the second battery

·
Registered
819 Posts
I'm not trying to talk down to anyone.

Always remember, like they said, it's the second battery......from the battery you are using as the ground.

I saw a shop hook up six batteries and they did hook up the lead to the second battery.....from the positive (giving 48 volts to the box).

I clarify, 2nd battery from the ground.

Just trying to help.

Later
TC

·
Registered
819 Posts
Here are a couple of reasons why you want to run 24 volts:

1) because the length the current has to travel. (ie: from the battery to your switchbox and then back to your solenoids.

2) when you are batteries start to run low, 12 volts will not be enough to open at three solenoids at a time.

You want to be sure to have a strong enough current every time you hit the switch.

Just my .02

Later
TC

·
Registered
150 Posts
every car that ive seen in my my experience with Hydraulics its the pos. terminal of the second battery in the bank. Somethink about the first batterry getting used first and the second is stronger. Sorry not exactly sure hommy. Hope I could help you out.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I have 12-volts running to my switchbox and it has to trip 8 solenoids at every hit of a switch. But I'm using a starting battery on constant charge to do so.
The problem is, having to trip a bunch of solenoids with 12-V (deep cycle) as well as help spin a pump motor and open dumps puts an excessive drain on that batt. Therefore it won't last as long. And since the solenoids and switches can handle the current, it's been customary for everyone to use 24-volts. That just adds more reserve to your play time. But it's even still hell on that second battery. That's why when people start to hear that "machine gunning" sound of week batteries, if they check their batteries, it's usually because of the second battery. In most cases, if it's an emergency and they need to get their car to move, if they just switch out batt #2 and #3, things will work fine.
So what I'm doing is using the 12-volts from my stereo battery to power my switch box. It's always under constant alternator-charge so I never have to worry about the 'machine gunning' solenoid sound. And if I do, I have a much more serious problem that just week batteries. :)

Sorry, I get long-winded, but, yes, 12-volts is OK to use. That batt will just need more charge time than the others.

·
Registered
17,780 Posts
I like the 2nd battery, hasnt let me down, my set-up seems not to work, if I only run 12 volts to my switchbox :uh:

·
Registered
248 Posts
tcvaldez very well put! :thumbsup: Bouncin89Merc, what you say make a whole lotta sense! I may try that! But wouldn't you have to have your engine running when you hittin switches so you don't drain your car batt? No biggie but I still may try that. :)

Last edited by viznic at Oct 21 2003, 07:11 PM

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
tc valdez

is right, also run you switchbox from the bank that powers your rear.

this way you can conserve more power and drain less from your bank that powers the front.

to lift the rear is easier since its 1:1 ratio(on solid axles) and most of the weight is in the front.

:),

cc

Last edited by Cruz_Campos at Oct 21 2003, 07:19 PM

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by viznic@Oct 21 2003, 10:05 PM
tcvaldez very well put! :thumbsup: Bouncin89Merc, what you say make a whole lotta sense! I may try that! But wouldn't you have to have your engine running when you hittin switches so you don't drain your car batt? No biggie but I still may try that. :)
Well, like I said, I'm running it off of my amplifier battery. As far as I know it hasn't been drained to the point of causing my amp to clip, so I have to assume it's OK. And besides, with a regular set-up, the only thing it's going to power are the solenoids and dumps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts