1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

I want to bag my 1968 Impala.
My goal is not to built a jumper but to improve compfort as I want to mount
20´s or even 20/22 and I dont want to feel every leaf on the street, so a rise time from full down to full up from 2-3 seconds are ok with me.
Also making front,back,side to side often ist not what I am after, just up when I drive and down when I display the car.
The rise time in the following video shows a car that moves the way it would be ok with me aldough the lowering time could be faste, not a big problem, right?

I dont know much about airrides, only a bit and that the most kits are to expensive for the application.
I only need the smallest tank and usual valves, I only want DOT approved parts and a 4way system to avoid air transfer while driveing in curves.

Until now I know that I would need:

2 Bags for the front (maybe I make a trade and get SKW1000 Shockwaves)

2 Bags for the rear (I have heard Slam Specialities RE-7 would be the right ones)

1 Air tank (I think a 3 gallon is full in seconds and enough to up once in a while)

8 Pieces of usual solenoids (4 to let the air in the bags and 4 to deflate them, tell if I am wrong)

1 Compressor (which one is ok for my project?)

1 Pressure switch (what pressure)

DOT air lines (1 1/8" or 1 1/4", 15m is enough?)

Fittings (no idea how many and which size)

a bit metal to build the air bag mounting brackets

Airlift autopilot air control system (http://www.fbirides.com/product.asp?idno=8283)

sealing tape and air line cutter

some small material to mount the stuff an wire the compressor

More I dont know, did I forget something and which parts are wrong?

Greatful for every hint

Experience with bagging a 65-70 Impala/Caprice would be interesting.
Tell me everything and send me every picture or video form a 65-70 Impala or from relativ topics.

Thanks and best regards

Hannes ;)

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
As far as parts goes, you have a good basic list. For some more info I would check out ART's web site. They have some good general information.
http://www.ridetech.com/wizard/results.asp...et&model=Impala

That link shows the bolt in kits available for your 65 impala. If you dont have that much experience with bagging a car, you may consider one of these kits. They come with instructions, all necessary hardware, bags, fittings and shock relocation. AAC the forum sponsor can get you these parts or may even have a bolt on kit of their own.
Rob or Kevin there can give you some more advice.

I personally like bags and brackets as opposed to shockwaves. If you want a nice comfortable ride, the firestones that come with the ART kits will give a much softer ride than the Slams. Slams have a thick sidewall which makes they responsive and good for tight areas, but dont give as soft a ride. I would suggest a larger tank, 3 gallons is small. 5 gallons may even be pushing it with that car. I would usually want a system that can get the car up to full lock up on one hit, and 3 gallons definitely wont do it. One compressor such as a Viair 450 or 480 would be adequate for 5 gallons. There are cheaper sompressors such as the 400 and 420's. I know Rob likes using them for low pressure systems bc of their fast fill times. Pressure switches are available depending on the system pressure you want to go with.
1/8 in line is very small. 1/4 would be fine for slow lift and drop times, but may be too slow once you get used to it. I would suggest 3/8ths line. It is easy to route and can be slowed down if you want.
Hope that helps somewhat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Helps a lot, I will take some time until I analysed all the facts you gave me.
I will heed you advices regarding the tank and the lines.
Very interesting are your facts about a softer ride as this is my mail goal.
Some more facts what the difference is about the different bags would be interesting.
I am told by ART that the F6873 is the right bag for my car but the denotation of the bags coming with the complete kits (bags and mounting brackets) are different. Could not find anything with this synonym.

To be honestly, the complete set it overly expensive to me for a bag (that costs around 75$), a shock I dont need as I have new KYB gas shocks ,which are very nice by the way, and a bit of bended metal. Over almost 600$ for that and additional costs for the rear are not ok for me.

I builded a custom Watts-link

Looks circa like that:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J4xkHuP7QY&feature=related

for my Impala and electric actuators for my Caprice hideaway headlights, since they opened always over night. So I think to bag the Imp will be possible for me.

Thanks for your interesting facts and keep posting on this topic ; )

Best regards

Hannes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I have forgoten, the Shockwaves are history already, was an eBay
auction and I know that they are to get under 900$ and they bed up to
around 650$.
Now that you tell me the bags are more soft I am glad that I did not buy them.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Im not an expert on air ride but maybe some offset bag cups out front would help your ride comfort

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Ulysses and welcome to this topic.

I am not sure what that means but right now it rings a bell in my head.
The bag cups are this huge iron tube pieces to give the bag the lenght of a coil spring, right? I saw that they weld the plate on which the bag is screwed with offset.

Is that what you mean, if so please explaine the principe (why it improve compfort).

Thanks Hannes

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
You can use less pressure to get full lock up

·
Registered
97 Posts
it moves the bags out a way from the pivit point of the a arms so it will lift with less prssure and the lower pressure the softer the ride

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does it depend on the car if I can use offset bag caps?
Is the coil pocket in the frame more to open if I use that princip.
Who could tell me how are the measurements are, or does anyone have a picture of such caps?

Thanks Hannes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts