LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I WANNA GET INTO THE BUSINESS OF FLIPPING CLASSIC CARS IM JUST TRYING TO SHARPEN UP MY GAME WHEN I BUY CARS IM TRYIN TO GET IN THE HANG AND EVEN MAKE A CHECKLIST IF I CAN IM ONLY 21 SO THATS WHY IM ASKING FOR ALL THE EXPERIENCED ADVISE I HAVE BOUGHT 2 CARS ALREADY AND THOUGHT I DID A GOOD JOB AT INSPECTING THEM I KNOW UR INHERITING SOME1 ELSES PROBS WHEN YOU BUY AND THATS FINE I WOULD JUST LIKE TO SLIM DOWN THOSE PROBS IF CAN BE THANKS IN ADVANCE

·
Registered
28,032 Posts
bondo checking

in all honesty ive nought flippped and parted several dozen classic chevrolets. and you just learn by exp. finding that good deal and most importantly NOT SLEEPING ON IT.

not for everyone thats for sure. and the game is swarmmed with professionals at it so will be extremely tough...

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
yeah im with slo, it's a rough game. First things first, dont rely on this shit to pay your bills. It's more of a side thing. Second, im only 22 so im on the same boat as you, i have only flipped 2 rides. Unfortunately, most of the things you wanna know come with time. Every build i do, i learn more and more. The most important thing i do before i even see the car is research your rides, and know your budget. Know what rides are selling and what rides arent. When you go see the car, make sure the condition of it matches your budget. if you got 20gs to drop into the ride, dont buy a ride thats so far gone that its going to dip into your pocket too much more. Bondo checking, rust checking, completeness, all these things play into the purchasing of your car.

Invest in yourself too. learn how to do mechanics work, assembly, and especially paint and body if ur serious. its hard to make money on rides when you are paying labor costs to other people.

Also, dpont be one of those cats that buys every project ride that comes their way. if your in it to make money, buy one, and finish the shit! If it's one of those once in a lifetime deals, buy it. but know which ones are once in a lifetime deals.

Finally, dont juice ur damn rides.. hydros are sick, but they bring down sale value and limits you to one group of people.. you think ur gunna sell a juiced impala to a hotrod guy? fuck no. plan on who you are selling to, and build accordingly..

i hope u got something out of any of this! good luck brotha :cool:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Matching tires, will give you an indication on the vehicle mileage. Check the odometer that all the digits are straight in a row. If not, the odometer has been tampered with. Over shiny panels, fresh paint/body work. Vin #'s on all panels, under hood stickers missing. Funny engine noise, noises while driving. Proper trans shifting. In Az. the A/C must work. Oil leaks (visual).Seat belts,air bag lights, all outside lights work and wipers work. Take a look at the rest of the accessories to see if they work. Repair only if the budget allows. The safety related stuff you must repair. The brake should have at lest 3/32 nds left. The drums and rotors should be above discard limits. These are just some of the things that I would look for when we were inspecting trade-ins to recondition for the used car lot. Hope this helps. PEACE.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HELL YEAH THANSK TO YOU GUYS THIS IS THE XACT INFO I WAS LOOKING FOR I KNOW ITS NOT ALL BUT ITS A START AND I KNOW ABOUT IT BEING A SIDE JOB AND IT IS I ALREADY AM INVESTING IN MYSELF THATS WAT IM BUYING THESE FOR TO D.I.Y. BUT BONDO CHECKING HOW WOULD I DO THAT

·
Registered
28,032 Posts
Originally posted by ILUVMY82@Jan 20 2010, 12:15 AM~16347854
HELL YEAH THANSK TO YOU GUYS THIS IS THE XACT INFO I WAS LOOKING FOR I KNOW ITS NOT ALL BUT ITS A START AND I KNOW ABOUT IT BEING A SIDE JOB AND IT IS I ALREADY AM INVESTING IN MYSELF THATS WAT IM BUYING THESE FOR TO D.I.Y. BUT BONDO CHECKING HOW WOULD I DO THAT
man thats just all in ex

buy or look into a paint guage

·
i dont feel tardy
20,934 Posts
i carry a magnet when i go to look for an old car

i also keep an eye on whats hot know what im buying or trading for

and always make sure no matter what i cant lose

ive been trading and flipping cars and auto parts for 15 years

take a look at my project thread on my 50 ;)

·
16,068 Posts
All good info in this topic. Best advice isnt' really advice at all, you just need experience working on and around cars. Check fluids, tires, interior, etc.....If there's any area that have been severely neglected, then most likely every system on the car has been neglected at least at one time in its life.

Flipping cars is great when the economy is good because you can actually flip them. Other than that, if you end up sitting on one or more cars, remember to keep batteries charged, tires aired up, and keep them clean. Oh and as far as buyers, never drop below your bottom line unless you're ready to just dump the vehicle and take the loss, there's always a buyer out there, it just sometimes takes a lot longer for them to find you. If there's aspects of car repair you don't know, then it's good to have buddies that do know how to do it so you can save $$$ and send work their way. this goes for parts buying too. Find a good parts store and stick with it, then set up an account with them, it'll make things that much smoother when you need something.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
some of the best advice i have read on this site. i dont know what i can add to this other than stick to one type of car. impalas, g bodys, caddys, etc. know everything about the car you are dealing with. you will one day get a reputation for being the "go to guy for (fill in the blank type of car)"

stock, unmodified cars are the ticket. many guys modify their cars and dont know what the fuck they are doing. and stay away from juiced cars.

old cars are exactly that: old. so your target market will know that. do you plan on doing full restos, then selling them, or are you looking for that "barn find" 58 rag impala that some little old lady has in her yard? those days are gone. barret jackson really fucked things up, because now everyone thinks their 63 6 cylinder impala is worth 20k.

·
i dont feel tardy
20,934 Posts
Originally posted by racerboy@Jan 20 2010, 04:46 PM~16353685
some of the best advice i have read on this site. i dont know what i can add to this other than stick to one type of car. impalas, g bodys, caddys, etc. know everything about the car you are dealing with. you will one day get a reputation for being the "go to guy for (fill in the blank type of car)"

stock, unmodified cars are the ticket. many guys modify their cars and dont know what the fuck they are doing. and stay away from juiced cars.

old cars are exactly that: old. so your target market will know that. do you plan on doing full restos, then selling them, or are you looking for that "barn find" 58 rag impala that some little old lady has in her yard? those days are gone. barret jackson really fucked things up, because now everyone thinks their 63 6 cylinder impala is worth 20k.
thats no shit 4 door beaters and all

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
CASH UP FRONT.

i just flipped a caddi to a guy who made a down payment through paypal, then a week later when he wants to pick it up his "girlfriend got sick"

while im waiting a month and a half for this asshole, im missing out on my dream car.

alot of people dont know shit about cars and get hung up on the lame shit like how a sagging headliner.
other than whether it runs good or not it's all about appearances, find em stock and clean with minimal work because the extra effort you put in wont be appreciated.

·
Registered
28,032 Posts
money talks, for the most part i go with money and tailer in hand and have gotten cars for sometimes up to half of what asking price is....

·
Registered
61 Posts
take a jack and a flash light and a magnet thats not very strong. Jack the car up and really take your time looking for rust. the magnet will not stick to the body if there is too much body filler (bondo) sometimes nice paint or primer hides that crap :cool:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts