LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Yall.Since I put my Wire Rims on my 65 Impala,I keep having a problem with adapters.My Lugs keep breaking off.I am guessing it is from the Wire Rims Adapters because I didnt have this problem before.Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening?Does anyone know if there is stronger Lug Studs I can buy or something?Well if anyone knows anything,please post.Thanks,

Eazy

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
wow thats not safe...stop driving it with those wheels on it and try to find out what the problem is...

wire wheels with a deep reverse have more leverage then stock..so that is why your lugs are 'snapping'

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Upgrade my studs to what?What do I buy?Where do I get better ones at?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes.I tighten the in a star pattern.I heard that the Lug nuts are only supposed to have a certian amount of Torque when you use the Wire Rims Adapters.Maybe I am tighting the lugs too much or not enough.I have no idea how tight they are supposed to be.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah thats what I thought too.Because they do look like the Original Lugs and those lugs probably arent made for these kind of rim adapters.Any idea of how long of Studs I should use and How much to tighten the lug nuts?

Eazy

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
You should be able to go down to a decent auto parts store and buy you some new lugs with no problem.

Now let me ask you this ... are you studs long enough so that they come all the way thru the adapter and bolt ?? I know when I put the rims on my newer caddy I chose to replace all of my front studs with longer one because the old ones didnt bolt completely on.

The guy at the auto parts store made sure that I had the right size/length/style of stud.... and thats a good thing to do.

I also did it myself at home, by simply beating out the old studs with a heavy hammer, then carefully placing the new stud back in the hole ... I raised / put the rotor on 2 blocks of wood and beat the new stud back in place. It took all of 15 - 20 minutes. :cool:

I also had the rotors turned and did my brakes while I had em off my car ;)

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I have replaced them before.I did it exactly the way you just described.The new ones were a little longer than the old ones.I think a couple reasons they snapped is because my front wheels had alot of Negative Camber at the time this happened.The wheels were bending out really bad.I havent gotten all the Camber out yet but I did get some.So it is a little better.I should be OK with the New Lugs and less negative camber.If anyone knows how to get all the negative Camber out,please let me know cause I cant get it.It is a 65 Impala.Thanks,

Eazy

·
RESPECT IS EVERYTHING
40,199 Posts
Originally posted by EazyE10286@Dec 8 2003, 10:06 PM
Well I have replaced them before.I did it exactly the way you just described.The new ones were a little longer than the old ones.I think a couple reasons they snapped is because my front wheels had alot of Negative Camber at the time this happened.The wheels were bending out really bad.I havent gotten all the Camber out yet but I did get some.So it is a little better.I should be OK with the New Lugs and less negative camber.If anyone knows how to get all the negative Camber out,please let me know cause I cant get it.It is a 65 Impala.Thanks,

Eazy
HOW LONG ARE YOUR STUDS IF YOU CAN OR IF YOU HAVE NOT TRYD GO TO ANY HARDWARE STORE AND BUY THE LONGEST STUDS YOU CAN FIND THEN GET THE EGGCORNS LUGS AND TRY THE OR IF YOU WOULD LIKE PUT DISK BRAKES ONT HE FRON IT IS ONLY 250 DLRS AND ITS AN EASY CONVERSION FOR A CHEVY I HAVE DONE IT ON A 58 BISCANYE

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks man.I will consider that.

Eazy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts