LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had this amp pushing 2 generic 12's in a bandpass enclosure. I'll have to recheck my wiring but I believe I had them wired at 8 ohms. Not sure.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh ya in the 2nd pic I removed the ground cable, thats why you see the end of it sticking up...

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
looks to me that it had a fuse in there that was rated to high for the amp......and maybe a wire shorted and the fuse didnt blow quik enuff.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by GRINGO_CONNECT@Sep 23 2006, 08:56 PM~6231981
looks to me that it had a fuse in there that was rated to high for the amp......and maybe a wire shorted and the fuse didnt blow quik enuff.
ya it caught on fire. the inline fuse didnt blow either..but I guess when it's rated at 60 amps it wouldnt.

I think that amp had a pair of 30 amp blade style fuses in it

·
Registered
873 Posts
looks like it got a nice surge, or struck with lightning. do you have a cap? is it a cheap amp? it looks kinda cool all smoked like that. ive yet to really blow an amp up yet, knock on wood.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by BigDaddyHustle+Sep 23 2006, 09:44 PM~6232140-->
looks like it got a nice surge, or struck with lightning. do you have a cap? is it a cheap amp? it looks kinda cool all smoked like that. ive yet to really blow an amp up yet, knock on wood.
[/b]
ya it looks cool but stunk like ass

Originally posted by Brahma [email protected] 23 2006, 09:58 PM~6232195
American Pro for teh win!  :cheesy:
I guess I shouldnt expect much from a 25 dollar amp :biggrin:

<!--QuoteBegin-mrtravieso
@Sep 23 2006, 10:05 PM~6232227
my first guess was it caught on fire, and you shot it
i thought about it. :cool:

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Yup American Pro, seen some of those at flea markets years ago! Looks like the arc jumped, could have been from the inner contact of the fuse holder, I have seen it before.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Originally posted by integrated_1@Sep 23 2006, 11:09 PM~6233355
u get what u payed for

It might have been cheap, but it shouldnt have blown up normally! You didnt see him bragging about how nice it was :uh:

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by S10laynframe@Sep 24 2006, 03:38 AM~6233627
It might have been cheap, but it shouldnt have blown up normally! You didnt see him bragging about how nice it was :uh:
yep yep

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
for all you know he got it for free...thats the only reason I have my sony amp...havent hooked it up to anything yet

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just scrape away at the fuse holder, jam a paper clip in there, and rock it out some more. That charred stuff will just buff out :biggrin:

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by lanman31337@Sep 24 2006, 12:39 PM~6234541
Just scrape away at the fuse holder, jam a paper clip in there, and rock it out some more.  That charred stuff will just buff out :biggrin:
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Originally posted by lanman31337@Sep 24 2006, 09:39 AM~6234541
Just scrape away at the fuse holder, jam a paper clip in there, and rock it out some more.  That charred stuff will just buff out :biggrin:
i had that happen to one of mine cheap amps a toashiba. i just stuck a pieace of metal in the fuse holder with vise grips and it worked. it lasted a few more months and went out again for good.

·
Premium Member
7,431 Posts
Yeah, I'd say it was just low quality materials. Have you opened it up? It may have melted inside, shorted out and caused that. I had Soundstream Reference 500 back in 96 or so (one of the nicest amps out at the time) that the ground block inside the amp melted all over the circuit board, so it's a possibility.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ya i took it apart, chipped out the molten plastic, and soldered the tabs that used to go to the fuse holder together. works fine. for now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts