LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I do all of them are falling I tried getting it tighter but they still fall.I guess is cause of the movement of the switches what happens if I take them off.If you have any answers please help out your homie Big baller. ;)

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
make sure when you tighten them that the bolt is not spinning. the are splined and they could be stripped. if the are then lower the car and get in up behind the upper and hold the bolt head with a socket and have someone turn the nut under the hood.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by rollin low in a grand prix@Dec 9 2003, 09:01 PM
make sure when you tighten them that the bolt is not spinning. the are splined and they could be stripped. if the are then lower the car and get in up behind the upper and hold the bolt head with a socket and have someone turn the nut under the hood.
What happens if I remove them. :0

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

What are shims!! :biggrin: Leave them out!! ;)

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
Originally posted by Big Baller 82cutlass+Dec 9 2003, 07:03 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Big Baller 82cutlass @ Dec 9 2003, 07:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--rollin low in a grand prix@Dec 9 2003, 09:01 PM
make sure when you tighten them that the bolt is not spinning.  the are splined and they could be stripped.  if the are then lower the car and get in up behind the upper and hold the bolt head with a socket and have someone turn the nut under the hood.
What happens if I remove them. :0[/b][/quote]
then you will have less negative camber if you have unextended arms.....but it will still look like ass

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
chuck em in the bin

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
i've had this happen, all you need to do is tighten up the bolts again and put a second nut behind the first one on the bolt. If you use a backup nut like this you won't have them loosening and shims falling out.

·
Registered
232 Posts
lol, I had it happen too. I found that it works best if you just leave them in the parking lot where they fell out and pretend nothing happend.

·
Registered
970 Posts
there is some sort of impotance far as allignment goes butt if you can deal with a cocked steering wheel ,leavem out and never worry bout em again :uh: ;)

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
Originally posted by kaptonkrewl2003@Dec 10 2003, 02:56 AM
there is some sort of impotance far as allignment goes butt if you can deal with a cocked steering wheel ,leavem out and never worry bout em again :uh: ;)
shims do not affect the steering wheel it just plays with caster and camber

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
Originally posted by Chris+Dec 9 2003, 08:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chris @ Dec 9 2003, 08:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--kaptonkrewl2003@Dec 10 2003, 02:56 AM
there is some sort of impotance far as allignment goes butt if you can deal with a cocked steering wheel  ,leavem out and never worry bout em again    :uh:  ;)
shims do not affect the steering wheel it just plays with caster and camber[/b][/quote]
not even caster if you have them even on both bolts

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
basically with caster if you got more shims on the front bolt the spindle is tilted to the front ....more on the back bolt it tilts to the back so if they are even it will be somewhere in the middle...but its not visible to the human eye......

fuck an alignment with hydros it changes every 5 minutes anyway so take all the shims out and just get your tie rods adjusted for the toe

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
isnt caster what makes the wheel return back by itself after a turn?

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
Originally posted by rollin low in a grand prix@Dec 10 2003, 03:18 AM
isnt caster what makes the wheel return back by itself after a turn?
possibly could be...been a while since i was actually readin on this stuff

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
I would get the car at a height that you like, both front and back and have the car aligned.

Of course the alignment will change, it's better to get it close than to be way off.

Put the shims back, you don't need a safety issue. If the steering wheel flies to the left or right when you let go, how is that safe when you are driving? Think safety.

Just a little tip: you might want to think twice before asking a divorced person for advise on how to save a marriage.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
if you get rid of the shims your gonna eat your tires off cause of the caster if you ever notice on g bodys theres usaully like 4 or 5 shims in the back and 2 in the front.They are there for a reason.They will always keep poping out what you need to do if loosing off the control arm and pull the bolts out and put washers in for shims that way they wont pop out and tighten it down and maybe double nut it if you got room.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts