LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be swapping my 4100 out, but I would like to know what engines will bolt up directly in my 1984 Caddy Coupe De'Ville???? ANY help will be appreciated!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Ealier 368 - 500 Cadillac motors

Any small block Chevy

Big bock Chevys

307-350 Olds

231 OLDS V 6

The small block chevy came in later Cadilac Fleetwoods which have the same frame as your car.The blocks are the same from a 283 - to a 406 small block. The 307 came in 86-89 Fleetwoods [has the same frame as yours].368 and 425 Cadillac engines came in 77-81 Coupes, Fleetwood 2drs and 4drs,and Sedan Devilles. Any of these will work with minimal modificaion [ as far as using factory mounting location ,driveshaft,ect] but the cars may not use same bolt patterns on the tranny. Ive heard that the tranny that came in the 4100 caddies would bolt up to any of these but I never looked when I did the swap[I swapped the whole drive train].Remember to get an aftermarket carb ,intake and distributor if you get a motor from a computer controlled car. The 231 and big block will also work with some mods.Also a 4.1 L Cadillac V6 from an 81 will bolt right up.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I KNOW FOR SURE AN OLDS 350 WILL WORK I DID IT TO MY 'LAC
LOT SMALLER , LESS WIEGHT ,MORE OF A HOP !!!BUT THAT WASNT THE REASON I CHANGED IT THAT WAS BCUZ WHEN I GOT IT, IT DIDNT HAVE A GOOD ENGINE ;)

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
The 350 will bolt up but you need new mounts and a new tranny. The Olds motor is just as good, you can add hi-po stuff to it too. Itll just cost more to do, not much though

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Ive done the swap 2 times in an 84 coupe, First if you use a 307-350 olds you will have to get a new tranny or adapter plate . If you weld down the engine mounts and install the engine with the tranny bolted up to the engine already,the diveshaft doesnt have to be shortened. If you use the Chevy engine {what I recommend} the swap will be even easier.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Originally posted by LOC501@Dec 1 2003, 11:48 PM
I KNOW FOR SURE AN OLDS 350 WILL WORK I DID IT TO MY 'LAC
LOT SMALLER , LESS WIEGHT ,MORE OF A HOP !!!BUT THAT WASNT THE REASON I CHANGED IT THAT WAS BCUZ WHEN I GOT IT, IT DIDNT HAVE A GOOD ENGINE ;)
I put an olds 350 in one of my old ones but it was originally a diesel so it was soooooo fuckin easy

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
T he Olds engine isnt lighter than the 4100 the 4100 is smaller and lighter its just all the engine and emissions controls that makes the 4.1 look bigger

·
KTownSwangin
8,664 Posts
Originally posted by Kamron34@Dec 30 2003, 12:00 AM
What engine could be interchanged with the least amount of mods and list the mods. I appreciate it because I will be doing this soon and am lazy so dont wont to spend a month or two changing an engine out.
B O P, buick old or poniac engine should bolt up no prob as long as you have the motor mounts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts