LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What glue do you guys use to do your headliners....Im about to do mine, and I want to make sure it sticks. I will be making a design out of foam then covering it, so it has to stick really good.

Is 1" foam thick enough for a design, or should I have used bigger/smaller?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
ok for the glue you are going to need the good stuff that shops use... its contact glue and you can find it in some hardware type stores ... it comes in a metal can....borrow a compressor and get a cheap 20$ air gun to apply it with...you apply the glue to both surfaces you want to stick together not just one side..also are you using headliner material for this design or some type of fabric? 1'' is a bit extreme for the design in my opinion btw....oh yeah and actual headliner material is already backed with 1/4'' foam

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I was debating whether or not the 1" would be too thick.

Is there any glue that actually works that doesnt need a compressor?

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
there is this particular brand that came in a can that was nearly as strong as the spray gun glue...i believe it was called jeffco...but im not sure ... i know it comes in a plain white can and is very basic looking..blue lettering on the can...stuff is alot strong then 3m high strength 90 but if you cant find that stuff you may be able to use 3m high strength 90....im not a big fan of the stuff but if you cant find better stuff or dont have the materials it may work for you..

·
Registered
382 Posts
that 3m shit always comes loose in hot weather that shit sux ive used this stuff called gorrila glue its kinda like elmers botlle glue but its way stronger

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
i used glue for countertops that came in a jar and got a small paint roller...it worked good...no sticky overspray

Last edited by rollin low in a grand prix at Jan 1 2004, 01:03 PM

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by rollin low in a grand prix@Jan 1 2004, 01:03 PM
i used glue for countertops that came in a jar and got a small paint roller...it worked good...no sticky overspray
ya, headliner cement is almost the same thing, also landau top adhesive will hold good too!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up using the 3M super 90.....didnt really hold worth a shit....and that was after spending $45 on three cans of it. I actually had better luck with the 3M general trim adhesive. Im just going to end up putting buttons on my headliner to help keep it from sagging.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts