LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

What happens if the accumulator

1K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  air280 
#1 ·
:0

#3 ·
then it wont act like a spring anymore and your ride will be as if its solid.....

If it phyiscally BLOWS up like a grenade then you have a defective accumulator in which you put far too much PSI in, like more than 4,000psi......

most peeps run any where from 500psi - 1,000psi per accumulator.

#11 ·
Originally posted by Big Baller 82cutlass@Nov 28 2003, 06:50 PM
I was thinking it might blow the cylinder seals. :0
Thats a good point.... :biggrin:

because it would stop at the check and be forced to re route out the cylinders...

I guess it all depends on the size of accumulator you use too.. I use them ones the size of tennis balls.. but I bet those big ones will blow seals..

I'm gonna have to test that and write it in the next book.. lol..

#12 ·
Originally posted by Volv_lo@Nov 28 2003, 09:46 PM
I'm not sure if it would cause cavitation because the accumulators are after the check valve......

Let me know your thoughts here....
in normal operation, only a small portion of the accumulator has fluid in it..

if the bladder ruptures, almost the entire cavity will fill with fluid, depending on the size of your accumulator, it could empty your tank when you hit the car up..

thusly causing cavitation..

add to that the fact that your lines are now full of nitrogen, when you dump the car, all that nitrogen can possibly end up back in the tank..

just the way I envision it, I could be wrong though

#15 ·
gas/bubbles in your oil is never good, cavitation will wear gears faster than normal use , but in practise the gas will very soon find its way to the top of the tank..............
no need to worry about cyl seals, you only added gas at maybe 1000psi where your system runs at 3000psi+.

all said and done the worst that will happen is you have no ride quality till you fit a new one.......................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.