LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is DOM round tubing better for frames than regular steel pipe tubing what is the difference between them?What I have seen is that DOM tubin is seamless and pipe tubing has some seams any info please let me know and thanks ;)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Originally posted by Big Baller 82cutty@Sep 16 2007, 08:45 PM~8804777
Is DOM round tubing better for frames than regular steel pipe tubing what is the difference between them?What I have seen is that DOM tubin is seamless and pipe tubing has some seams any info please let me know and thanks ;)

DOM stands for Drawn Over Mandrel. This tubing is going to be the best for frames,rollcages, suspension parts, etc... With DOM you will have a more consistant wall thickness and shape, and it is also cold forged which helps with its strength. But DOM comes at a price and is not very cheap

Regular pipe is usually seamed and is hot rolled thats is why it usually has a shitty finish. The pipe is going to have more inconsitancys in its overall shape and how the steel handles stress, wheras DOM is evenly shaped and stressed over it whole length. This means that it will hold up to loads better than regular pipe because it IS better manufactured and uses better material to produce it.

If you have the money go with DOM

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Six Trey@Sep 17 2007, 01:49 PM~8809512
DOM stands for Drawn Over Mandrel. This tubing is going to be the best for frames,rollcages, suspension parts, etc...  With DOM you will have a more consistant wall thickness and shape, and it is also cold forged which helps with its strength. But DOM comes at a price and is not very cheap

Regular pipe is usually seamed and is hot rolled thats is why it usually has a shitty finish. The pipe is going to have more inconsitancys in its overall shape and how the steel handles stress, wheras DOM is evenly shaped and stressed over it whole length. This means that it will hold up to loads better than regular pipe because it IS better manufactured and uses better material to produce it.

If you have the money go with DOM
Thats all the info I needed bro for sure I m going to buy DOM tubing is worth it to pay for quality and thanks bro ;)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Originally posted by Big Baller 82cutty@Sep 17 2007, 07:40 PM~8812550
Thats all the info I needed bro for sure I m going to buy DOM tubing is worth it to pay for quality and thanks bro ;)
:thumbsup: no prob bro

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
theres no such thing as pipe tubing. it's either pipe or tube. not both.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Depending on where you live, shits hard to come by. Alot of places had no idea what DOM was when I asked. Finally found one place who sold me scrap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts