LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my brother just bought a box caprice, it was sitting for two years before he got it.....

(has a 267 sbc)
i did a tune up, oil change, and told him to fill the tank and drive for a little while to clean all the old shit out of the engine/fuel lines..
(at this point, i didnt change the thermostat or flush the coolant yet)

i dont know what he was thinking, but he took it on the highway and opened it up till she overheated (and kept driving) :twak: :angry:

now it's knocking... it sounds high, like it may just be the rockers, but im not sure yet, and i havent tightened them yet.....

what else do you guys think it could be???

thanks alot..

eazy

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
if it doesnt cool the heads and block properly, the rings can get warped/melted, as well as warped heads. if its a deep hollow knock, usually means serious shit. if its more of a clack or rattling knock then, like you said, could be rockers/lifers...but normally overheating doesnt affect the rockers and lifters....its usually more serious....sorry homie, but its bad news.

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
pistions could be rocking in the bores ... the bores could be tapered..or theres a shortage on piston skirts...

could also be connecting rods are outta spec...and ting ting tinging

·
Registered
11,540 Posts
Very easy to get rod knock or main bearing knock from overheating an engine, and continuing to drive it. Mainly, the oil will heat up to the point that it looses its lubricating properties...then you fuck up bearings.

Tell him great job :)

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
oh wow .... i see after reading this again ... it sat for two years ... it could be a worn out piston cause of the rust accumulated on the cylinder bores ... and wore out prematurely ..

it sucks i know ... so whens he getting a wrench and seeing whats going on in there...

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Joe5pt0@Aug 8 2005, 11:59 AM~3560642

Tell him great job :)
he's a fuckin dickhead...... i was going to (i still am) buy the car from him in a few weeks, all he had to do was drive it to and from work.....

he got it regestered the same day as he fucked it up.. :twak:

now, he thinks im gonna give him a fuel injected 350 to replace his carbed 267 :twak:

he said "im just gonna take the engine apart and put it back together....."

he has 0 mechanical experience, 0 common sense... just makes more work for me... and he doesnt like anyone else "helping" him work on cars......

i told him "it's a small block, theres plenty of aftermarket shit you can buy for it..."

now, we (I) have to spend time figuring out what he fucked up in the first place....

im thinking about going out and picking up an engine hoist and pulling the engine while he's at work, so i can work on it without his dumbass making it any worse.........

thanks for all the info, looks like ill be jumping around till i figure out exactly whats wrong...

any suggestions on anything extra i should do while im picking apart the engine?? (cleaning, painting....)

thanks

eazy :angry: :cool:

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright,i went out and ran the engine for a few minutes.... knocking and screeching every few so many rotations.... i figured it is either the pistons or piston rods, ran it with a valve cover off (twice, once each side) and theres smoke coming from the valves, so something is causing friction,my guess is the pistons, seeing as that there really isnt anything else there that would be rubbing....

my next question is- is there an "easy" and "hard" way to remove the pistons?
(are there any tricks or shortcuts??????)

thanks alot..

eazy

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
Originally posted by biggeazy-e@Aug 9 2005, 09:09 PM~3573202
alright,i went out and ran the engine for a few minutes.... knocking and screeching every few so many rotations.... i figured it is either the pistons or piston rods, ran it with a valve cover off (twice, once each side) and theres smoke coming from the valves, so something is causing friction,my guess is the pistons, seeing as that there really isnt anything else there that would be rubbing....

my next question is- is there an "easy" and "hard" way to remove the pistons?
(are there any tricks or shortcuts??????)
thanks alot..

eazy
i would do it the right way. pull the motor, take it in, or if you are a do it yourselfer, disassemble the entire thing, and put all new pistons, rings, gaskets, bearings, just buy an engine kit...its well worth it and you always have reliable transportation. my way of thinking, is if you are digging all the way to the pistons, you may as well rebuild the damn thing(if possible) you may have scored the cylinder walls or warped the heads. take the block in for magnafluxing and cleaning and the cam bearings installed, and then the heads shaved and smoothed, and tested as well, fairly in expensive for cleaning and machining heads. good luck.

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by SolidGoldCaddy@Aug 9 2005, 09:18 PM~3573272
i would do it the right way. pull the motor, take it in, or if you are a do it yourselfer, disassemble the entire thing, and put all new pistons, rings, gaskets, bearings, just buy an engine kit...its well worth it and you always have reliable transportation. my way of thinking, is if you are digging all the way to the pistons, you may as well rebuild the damn thing(if possible) you may have scored the cylinder walls or warped the heads. take the block in for magnafluxing and cleaning and the cam bearings installed, and then the heads shaved and smoothed, and tested as well, fairly in expensive for cleaning and machining heads.  good luck.
thank you, and now that you mention it, it's a damn good idea, ill tell you the truth- i didnt even think of that, but ill for damn sure be doing it....

as a matter of fact, ill be swapping another engine within the next two weeks, so i was already going to pick up a hoist and stand, so ill probably be doing them both.,.....

thanks for the tip, it'll surely have my cars running smooth for a long while........ :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

thanks

eazy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts