LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 84 caprice 305c.i.d. with 129k. I hav about $1200 dollars to spend now should i rebuild the 305, buy a gm goodwrench 350, or buy a used 350 and rebuild that. If i get rid of the cutlass this will be my daily driver so i need something reliable. Ideally i would like to have atleast 275hp or more.

·
Registered
625 Posts
if you get a direct replacement 350 crate it only has about 185-200 hp. but you could rebuild a 350 and get 300 hp for about 1200 or less, depends on how much of the work you do yourself and where you get your parts. i know that around here you can get a rebuilt 350 for about 600, then switch out the cam, maybe do a little work to the heads and there you go.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i see in the newspaper there are a couple 350's being sold for around 400 so i might try that and rebuild it

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the papers yesturday for an engine and aint find squat. Usually there is like 4 or 5 listed. I think it might be because of the holiday. I think i might try the junk yard.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
A GOOD MOTOR SHOP WILL HIT YOU ABOUT $800 4 A REBUILT ON A 305..OR 350...WHY WASTE MONEY YOU GOT A V8 might as well use it...a 305 an't much diffrent then a 350 and if you machine it.....it will work just as good.....

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But arent 350 parts cheaper than 305 parts? I do want to save as much as possible but, I dont want to build up the 305 and still not have the power i want. If I do get another engine I will probably keep the 305 and rebuild it slowly when i got the cash cause im always comming across g bodys and llacs that are in good condition for cheap but might not be running or have an engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts