LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Kicker ZR1000 in my 65 mustang, it is putting out 1222 watts at 4 ohms mono. My Mustang has the stock alternator that probably puts out 55-60 amps, What size alternator should I upgrade to so my amp will perform at its best? I already have a yellow top optima battery.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
also remember that your alternator, while it may be rated at 60 amps, that's not at idle, that's at a certain RPM... when you're going down the highway your alternator may be able to reach its potential, but at idle it won't.

i got a 160 amp alternator, for $200 (AC Delco... recommended),and it puts out 95-100 amps at idle.

but you shouldn't need a new alternator if it's just one amp. my 1000W amp ran fine on my 65 amp old alternator... you shouldn't have any problem

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
What are you guys talking about up in here. Check it out homie. Look at the size of the fuses on the side of your amp. That should give you a reference point of the minimun that you need in your car. Okay this is not always gonna be good for multiple amp systems, but in your case it will work. If the amps fuses equal 90 amps you need at least a 90 amp alternator. Okay here is what happens. When you drive down the street your alternator is basically running your system, ie., lights, AC, stereo etc. Well if the sum of all this is more that your altenator is putting out, then it will start to take away from your battery. Your car's stock Alternator is probably a 60 amp alternator, so if your system is drawing 50 amps, and you add a amp that is drawing 90 amps, your total load on your Alternator will be 50+90= 140 amps. If you are not getting that amperage, then your battery will have to give up the power that it has, which leads to: 1 battery problems, 2 alternator problems and 3 you not driving. I would say to Upgrade to at least a 140 amp alternator, that with a yellow top and you should be okay. Summit Racing has them at a good price. Lastly your amp does not draw max power at all times, but if you are a bass head, then you will be drawing basically max power.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts