LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was wondering what size ya'll would get installed.10" all around or 8" in front and 10" in rear?? planning on doing f,b,s,s, pancake and independent rears

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
u can do 6's up front and 10's in the rear but i would reinforce the bananna bar so that it doesnt flex if u r not gonna install as wishbone or if u cant afford to have one done just yet

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
8" and 10"s is a good combo.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Originally posted by impala_631@Nov 25 2007, 04:53 AM~9298865
8s in the rear unless you plan on running a slip yoke ;)
u don't need a slip yoke. just have da driveshaft shortened an inch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks ya'll for the opinions :cool: , but i want to achieve a mean 3 wheel, you know, with the front wheel liftin' higher :biggrin: can i achieve that with 10" all around, or need 14' in rear?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
don't put anything bigger than 8's up front and with 14's in da rear u'll get a mean looking 3 wheel for sure ;). Just install a wishbone and a slip yoke and notch da frame and you'll be good to go :cool:

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
the only way ur gonna get 10's up front and get full lift out of it is if thats the only thing up front, no coil. otherwise not gonna happen. u can only put 4's, 6's or 8's and u can get teh same amount of travel out of a 6 and an 8 with coil.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Here's a picture of a layitlow homies 63 with 14's in da rear. Just so u can get an idea of wut you'll be gettin :biggrin:

·
do it in a datsun!!
14,491 Posts
Originally posted by 01lowlow@Nov 26 2007, 04:34 AM~9306158
don't put anything bigger than 8's up front and with 14's in da rear u'll get a mean looking 3 wheel for sure ;). Just install a wishbone and a slip yoke and notch da frame and you'll be good to go :cool:
14s will cause too much shift unless you plan on running a slingshot setup :cool:

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
All you need is 8"s up front even if it lays frame 8"s will still give you a full lock up. As far as the rear is concerned if you go any bigger tha 8"s you have to run a slip yoke in the rear section of the driveshaft. Also make sure you notch the center of your frame out enough so that the drive shaft doesn't hit it b/c it will bend you driveshaft. I run 12"s in the back and I'm very happy w/ my 3-wheel. here is a couple pics of mine.

·
Registered
464 Posts
so what are the ideal sized cylinders that will give you a decent hop and 3 wheel, 8" in the front and 12"s in the back or 8" - 10"s in front with 14s" in rear?

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
Originally posted by juiced 64@Dec 1 2007, 03:45 AM~9347105
All you need is 8"s up front even if it lays frame 8"s will still give you a full lock up.  As far as the rear is concerned if you go any bigger tha 8"s you have to run a slip yoke in the rear section of the driveshaft.  Also make sure you notch the center of your frame out enough so that the drive shaft doesn't hit it b/c it will bend you driveshaft.  I run 12"s in the back and I'm very happy w/ my 3-wheel. here is a couple pics of mine.

what kind of shocks are you running

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
Originally posted by keneken@Dec 1 2007, 04:30 PM~9349525
16 all day. It has a wishbone from Black Magic Hydraulics.

looks like a little bit of tacoma action :thumbsup: :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Originally posted by Wog Boy@Dec 1 2007, 04:11 AM~9347471
so what are the ideal sized cylinders that will give you a decent hop and 3 wheel, 8" in the front and 12"s in the back or 8" - 10"s in front with 14s" in rear?
Well 1st of all never put anything bigger than 8's up front. A lot of people nowadays are using 6's up front but nothing bigger than 8's for sure. As far as the best sized cylinders for hopping and 3-wheeling it really all depends wut u want. If ur car gets off da ground a couple feet then there wouldn't be any need to put telescopics in the rear, unless u want a radical 3 wheel. U gotta remember though that when ur hopping u don't have to have the rear end locked up. For example if u have 18's in the rear for a mean 3 wheel u can always just have the rear up at about 10 - 12 inches when ur hopping. Then of course if u have a car with double piston pumps to the front then u'd definitely want some telescopics in da rear to be able to make full use of the piston pumps, know what i mean? Personally for street use I always run 10's or 12's in the rear.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Originally posted by 01lowlow@Dec 2 2007, 02:47 PM~9351933
Well 1st of all never put anything bigger than 8's up front. A lot of people nowadays are using 6's up front but nothing bigger than 8's for sure. As far as the best sized cylinders for hopping and 3-wheeling it really all depends wut u want. If ur car gets off da ground a couple feet then there wouldn't be any need to put telescopics in the rear, unless u want a radical 3 wheel. U gotta remember though that when ur hopping u don't have to have the rear end locked up. For example if u have 18's in the rear for a mean 3 wheel u can always just have the rear up at about 10 - 12 inches when ur hopping. Then of course if u have a car with double piston pumps to the front then u'd definitely want some telescopics in da rear to be able to make full use of the piston pumps, know what i mean? Personally for street use I always run 10's or 12's in the rear.
ok, i see. i still got alot to learn :biggrin: :) so im assuming the smaller the front cylinders are, the quicker response it will give when the you hit the switch?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts