LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey L.I.L. members i have a question hopefully someone could answer i have a 63 chevy impala but i dont know what size engine it has i know it 8cylnd but what i want to know is how you can tell what size do you have like a 350 etc they told me that it was stock whit a 293 but a mechanic told it has now a 302 so is there away i could find out because i want to rebuild it i have to know the spec for bolts etc. thanks for the help if i cant thank you later. :biggrin:

·
Registered
20,447 Posts
The most sure way to find out is by the casting number. On an SBC the number is on the left rear of the block where the tranny bolts up to the engine. I believe is about 7-9 digits about 1/2 inch tall. I can tell you something, a 293 was never made by Chevy so most likely you're thinking 283 (and you can find a ton of those in 63 Chevys). Chevy made a 302 in about 68-69 (maybe even 70) Camaros but I doubt you have a "real" 302 Chevy under the hood cause if you do: 1 it is not stock 2. They are actually rare 3. A real 302 Chevy can fetch some decent $. and 4. It might be a 283 bored out to a 302 ( can check if you can bore a 283 to a 302 if you really want to know, PM me). Chevy 302's were actaully hemi engines and if your engine is truly a 302 block and still has the stock heads, you can check by the spark plug location on the heads (down the middle of the valve covers = hemi, on the sides of the heads = not a hemi = not a true 302).

Do yourself a favor and stop wasting your time, get the casting numbers off the block, go to a machine shop and ask them to check your casting number, this will tell you the size, yr. block was made and I believe it will also tell you what kind of Chevy it was installed in and if it was hi-po or not. (I might be wrong on it telling you what kind of vehicle it was installed in, but it will definately note if it is a hi-po block or not. I might of forgot to add a few things, but I thought about all kinds of things when I read your post and couldnt type fast enough. PM me if you have more questions. ;)

Last edited by BROWN SOCIETY CC at Nov 7 2003, 12:59 AM

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
post up the casting numbers, me or someone else will decode it for you..

there is also a series of numbers on the small little pad in front of the passenger side head, post those up also.. those numbers are actually more informative than the casting number!

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by 216RIDER+Nov 7 2003, 09:28 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (216RIDER @ Nov 7 2003, 09:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Foompla@Nov 7 2003, 01:29 PM
vin number will tell you too :)
not on our old cars it wont...[/b][/quote]
im sorry, your right. the 17 digit vin became standard in 1972 i believe. But there was always some kind of vehicle identification number before that, i just have no idea what it stood for etc.

·
Registered
20,447 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla@Nov 7 2003, 11:29 AM
Maybe he doesn't have the original engine in it?? :0 Plus the VIN number on that 63 will probably only tell you where it was built, what model (Impala, Bel Air or Biscayne) and what body style (2-dr HT, 2-dr sedan, convt, etc, etc)

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by BROWN SOCIETY CC+Nov 7 2003, 10:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BROWN SOCIETY CC @ Nov 7 2003, 10:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Foompla@Nov 7 2003, 11:29 AM
Maybe he doesn't have the original engine in it?? :0 Plus the VIN number on that 63 will probably only tell you where it was built, what model (Impala, Bel Air or Biscayne) and what body style (2-dr HT, 2-dr sedan, convt, etc, etc)[/b][/quote]
:)

Last edited by Foompla at Nov 7 2003, 10:23 PM

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i know that the engine i have is not stock because heres a lil story the 63 was my uncles but he gave it to me because it was just park in his drive way and he knew i like old cars and working on them so he gave it to me. but before he gave it to me it broke down so one of his neighboors told him if he want a engine that would fit that car he would put it on, then he hand over the keys to me but the engine was running rough. so that why i want to rebuild it. the guy that put the engine wanted my uncle to sell him the car but my uncle didnt want to. so i think that the guy did some things to the engine so it would run rough so my uncle would sell it to him and he would know whats teh prblm and fix it. ill post the number tomorrow or at least try to find them ( casting and the ones on the head) ill do that tomorrow because it already night i wont be able to see right now. peace and thank you for the info :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this are the numbers are 8970010 it also has GM 40 and the ones on the heads a re 376450 and k227 i hope this helps :cheesy:

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
3970010 (not 8970010)

is either a 68 371, or a 69-79 350

the other number is called the block stamping number..

found here

and looks like this

in the pic, there are 2 sets of numbers.. the one youre concerned with is the 8 digit one.., most importaintly, the last 3 letters...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts