LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHAT SIZE OF WELDING WIRE DO YOU GUYS USE FOR 1/4 PLATE ON A FULL FRAME WRAP? I WAS TOLD TO USE FLUXCORE AND ALSO HOW HIGH DO YOU GUYS USUALLY SET YOUR WELDING MACHINES? CUZ I DONT WANT TO BLOW THROUGH THE FRAME FROM HAVING TO HIGH OF A SETTING, ALSO ALONG THE FRAME ON A 80'S DEVILLE UNDER WHERE THE DOOR IS IT ISNT BOXED IN LIKE IT IS TOWARDS THE BACK AND I CAN SEE THERES BRAKE LINES THERE, CAN I BOX THAT SECTION IN AND PUT NEW BREAK LINES AND LITTLE MOUNTS ON THE NEW FABRICATED SIDE? ANY OTHER TIPS WOULD BE VERY HELPFULL :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
0.030" AWS ER70S-6 solid core. Flux sucks ass, don't use it, use gas to shield the weld. Your going to have to set the machine up to weld 1/4" just open the lid and look at the sheet!!

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by Equipped Customs@Nov 16 2003, 04:00 PM
.030 is pretty small wire, id run atleast .035

personally i use .040
Not if you know how to weld properly. I section full frame vehicle with 0.030" its what the manufacturers recommend, plus i don't like to have to spend much time grinding my welds. 0.035 will work fine, but you need to increase the voltage more and if you don't have much experience welding you'll be grinding more. 0.040 is way too big IMO, wtf do you use that for, welding the bottoms of dumpsters on, that's all I have ever used it for, I haven't actually seen it since I quite working in a steel fab shop.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
maybe he welds tanks together for the army :dunno:

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I buy HOBART .035 wire.... works fine....

Last edited by STREET SWEEPAZ at Nov 16 2003, 11:45 PM

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IF I'M DOING THE WELDING OUTSIDE I HEARD THAT I SHOULD USE FLUXCORE, ALSO WHAT IS SO BAD ABOUT USING FLUXCORE?-ITS JUST AS STRONG ISN'T IT?

O

·
0 Posts
i have 2 diff. welders, and YES i am an EXPERIENCED WELDER!

i use .040 on frames it lays a nice sized bead, i use and have used .035 it works great also, i was just saying imo

i own/run my own hydro shop so....

;)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by MI$TA LAZY@Nov 17 2003, 12:00 AM
IF I'M DOING THE WELDING OUTSIDE I HEARD THAT I SHOULD USE FLUXCORE, ALSO WHAT IS SO BAD ABOUT USING FLUXCORE?-ITS JUST AS STRONG ISN'T IT?
CAN ANYONE ANSWER ME?

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
flux-core is just as strong, it just doesnt weld as pretty as gas, thats comming from a 25 year welder

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by newmovementrider@Nov 17 2003, 02:33 PM
flux-core is just as strong, it just doesnt weld as pretty as gas, thats comming from a 25 year welder
BUT IF I DONT MIND GRINDING THEN IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER THEN RIGHT?

·
Registered
93 Posts
i would use .035, but that is what i am use to running. FCAW-S is good for outside because since it is a tubular wire and the flux is on the inside, you don't have to worry bout your shielding gas getting blown away, FCAW-G is awesome to run when you don't have to worry bout wind, so like being in a shop, very easy to run, looks great, goot penetration. the difference is that the "S" wire has only flux on the inside and no shielding gas, the "G" wire hase flux on the inside and sheilding gas. i personally really like both.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts