LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i jus picked up a 30 watt all purpose soldering gun along with some .032 diameter standard Rosin-core solder. i jus tried to solder some bars together and it sems as if the solder isnt sticking to the metal, like il get it attached to one bar, and when i try to bring it to the other bar to join them, the bead of solder resin jus slides off the metal. whats up with that? its kinda like tryin to paint on a wet surface, it jus bubbles up and runs. what am i doing wrong? what do i need to do?

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
make sure your getting both pieces hot ... sounds to me like your trying to get it together with cold soldering

also like homeboy said tin the pieces ...

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i tried to put a little bit on each bar and binding them together but once i did that it balled up anf fell of both bars.

mabey get thicker solder?

all i know about the solder wire is that its a standard core solder, and that its .032 dia. wich is a lil thinner than a paperclip.

ill try to scuff each piece and see if that werks

·
Registered
13,478 Posts
with my welder, i have to use this little creme, i put it on the bar, heat it up wit the solder until it boils, and then weld the bars.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok yea it still aint werkin. what type of solderin guns you got? is it the one with the bent wire tip or the spear tip? i got the spear tip one. could tht be the problem?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Originally posted by twin@Aug 25 2003, 03:40 PM
Make sure you are not usin' electrical solder. You need solder for metals. ;)
well that was my prob wit solder i was using electrical solder to build a rack for my batteries and pumps :uh: i gave up lol time ta get some new kind of solder :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the gun is an all purpose soldering gun so i may be able to stil use that. i think ill go back to radio shack tonite and see what other kinda of solder material they got. what is the difference between the Rosin core and the non rosin?

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea arite, it does solder wires and stuff to metal, so i gues ill go pick up some different stuff

1 - 20 of 28 Posts