LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not at all experienced with automotive paint jobs although I've used some kinds of paints etc doing small hobby work. Urethane paint sounds like it might be good for the bumpers - the stuff that's there now is just peeling off but looks like they sprayed it directly onto the bumpers, no undercoat or anything and over some of the original paint which was starting to peel itself. :dunno:

I'm sure a good blend would look nice, I'm thinking maybe a green colour over the greeny-yellow. Problem with having a good blend is that my friend is one hell of a cheap ass and he's starting to loose interest in that ride... I just thought I might be able to help him out by bringing some ideas inspired by my love of lowriders...

Any chance that a pair of guys with very limited painting experience could acheive a "good" blend ? (previous successful work of ours includes respraying a hood and touch-ups after rust repairs :buttkick: ) ?

p.s. right now I don't have access to a proper spray gun but I do have an attatchment for going onto my vacuum cleaner lol

·
Registered
14,110 Posts
Originally posted by shredder130@Sep 2 2005, 07:19 AM~3738660
i don't think thats a ricer, if i remember right, its a rare turbo charged rwd chrysler from the 80's, if it is what i think it is, the car was very ahead of its time
Looks like my Chrysler Conquest, I believe thats what your referring to. Its a 87 model. 4 cyl turbo and came with 16" factory wheels. That was crazy then, would eat 5.0's for lunch :biggrin:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a 1983 Mitsubishi Starion Turbo, they were also sold in USA as a Chrysler Conquest but make no mistake, they are Japanese - true that they are RWD and were considered ahead of their time but it's a small asian hatchback made for going fast which goes against everything I love in a car :nono:

The ones sold in USA are known to have a lesser engine than the model in the pic which has a 2litre, 4 cylinder, 4G63 block. Although the "Chrysler" versions have nicer wheels, interiors, all sorts of stuff... ('83 Sta' comes on ugly 14s). As far as being rare, they're certainly not the most common car on the road but there are quite a few out there.

Cars like this paved the way for the rice of today, all plastic, too small, uncomfortable, no chrome :uh:

Originally posted by dyme_sak_hustla@Sep 3 2005, 12:55 PM~3743104
take what money you would spend on paint for it, and buy a new car.
:thumbsup: not bad advice dyme but my friend's gunna keep rollin it for a while and he refuses to spend much on it - I just thought someone might have an idea for very cheaply getting the bumpers looking better :happysad:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where I come from, really anything asian is called rice. Also, I don't consider an 80s turbo hatchback to be a true sports car :biggrin:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I call a juiced 60s Chevy fun :biggrin: but my appologies to anyone offended by me calling that cramped, plastic, Japanese hatchback a ricer. I didn't mean to start an argument over whether it's a "ricer" or not, I was just hoping for some inspiration for improving the appearance of the bumpers :cool:

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Originally posted by dyme_sak_hustla@Sep 2 2005, 06:55 PM~3743104
take what money you would spend on paint for it, and buy a new car.
yeah then burn that car quick fix :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
grpahics painted all around the lower third of the car incorporating the bumper in a contrasting colour, that'd do it and give the car some life too.

·
Registered
14,110 Posts
Originally posted by X-Sonic@Sep 2 2005, 09:18 PM~3743234
It's a 1983 Mitsubishi Starion Turbo, they were also sold in USA as a Chrysler Conquest but make no mistake, they are Japanese - true that they are RWD and were considered ahead of their time but it's a small asian hatchback made for going fast which goes against everything I love in a car :nono: 

The ones sold in USA are known to have a lesser engine than the model in the pic which has a 2litre, 4 cylinder, 4G63 block.  Although the "Chrysler" versions have nicer wheels, interiors, all sorts of stuff... ('83 Sta' comes on ugly 14s).  As far as being rare, they're certainly not the most common car on the road but there are quite a few out there.

Cars like this paved the way for the rice of today, all plastic, too small, uncomfortable, no chrome  :uh:

:thumbsup:    not bad advice dyme but my friend's gunna keep rollin it for a while and he refuses to spend much on it - I just thought someone might have an idea for very cheaply getting the bumpers looking better :happysad:
My american version is a 2.6 liter turbo..these were true turbo cars..you could hear the turbo whine when you got on it. I could eat up 5.0 Mustangs and Camaros. I did get taken out by a 5.7 5 speed Firebird, but these cars are bad ass for 4 cyl.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts