LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
13,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to know what it is you use on the goldleaf for it to stick to the car ?

·
Registered
13,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by MAD_ONE@Sep 26 2007, 04:39 PM~8876206
you can use sizeing(sp?) you can get that from most sign supplies or art stores or you can use 3m super77 spray glue ,just have to do a lil more masking on the spray glue.

·
Registered
13,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any more suggestions ?

·
Registered
16,214 Posts
i beleive 1 shot makes a gold size for gold leafing,have to apply it with a brush.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
one thing to keep in mind when doing leafing is wherever you mask your design after you pull the masking and before you apply the leaf, be sure to give the area around the sizing/glue a good cleaning, or the leafing can stick to the left behind residue from the tape etc. and its best to let the adhesive kick for a bit before applying the leaf, i found about 45-hr worked good.

·
da painter
24,179 Posts
clean surface good..
lay out tape.. apply glue..
let dry till it gets to a certain tackyness..
apply leaf..
turn leaf..
remove tape..

sometimes the tape leaves residue and the leaf will stick to it.. keeping the tape on prevents that..

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Originally posted by sic713@Sep 26 2007, 10:55 PM~8878704
clean surface good..
apply leaf..
turn leaf..
remove tape..

sometimes the tape leaves residue and the leaf will stick to it.. keeping the tape on prevents that..
hmmm......have you never had the tape pull the edge of the leaf when removing it??

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
Originally posted by sic713@Sep 27 2007, 04:55 AM~8878704
clean surface good..
apply leaf..
turn leaf..
remove tape..

what if the leaf sticks to the glue on the top side of the tape?

·
da painter
24,179 Posts
Originally posted by 6Deuced+Sep 26 2007, 10:57 PM~8878717-->
hmmm......have you never had the tape pull the edge of the leaf when removing it??
[/b]
nope..once u pressed the leaf down real good.. its on there..you can use a lil stencil spongebrush to press it
<!--QuoteBegin-Chris
@Sep 26 2007, 11:00 PM~8878739
what if the leaf sticks to the glue on the top side of the tape?
thats fine..whenever you pull the tape off , your going to have the leaf where you masked it off at.

hope that made sense.

·
DODGING ROAD KILL
11,710 Posts
A how-to with a few pics would be good :cool:

·
Registered
218 Posts
we just used some Dupont Chromaclear for it once. add a bit of hardener and reducer, put in mixing cub, and with a brush we applied it. let it sit till it gets tacky and then apply the leaf, then let it sit a little more and turned it.

with some candy

with clear and pinstiping

·
Registered
13,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what do i use to get this pattern on the goldleaf ?

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
i have found it better to take the tape off before applying the leaf... for me personally it works best.... but everyone that does leafing has different methods which ever way works best for them... a friend of mine does it like i do.. and 2 friends leave the tape on...... its personal preference really.... i've had problems when i apply leaf over the tape... that one i take the tape off, it looks like a ripped edge..... but when i remove tape then lay leaf it leaves crisp clean edges...

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Originally posted by arnout..@Sep 28 2007, 12:48 AM~8886569
we just used some Dupont Chromaclear for it once. add a bit of hardener and reducer, put in mixing cub, and with a brush we applied it. let it sit till it gets tacky and then apply the leaf, then let it sit a little more and turned it.

with some candy

with clear and pinstiping

the guy who taught me how to paint did it with clear also....... i personally like leaf adhesive spray... i've used the brush on kinds... i've used oneshot... and the cleanest was with the spray...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts