LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Pescos and Rays
Joined
·
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is needed for this swap? can i just bolt it in? how much welding is involved? do i need a spring up grade? do they sell a kit? it comes with a 400 trans is that good? please give me any info you might have or any info you know!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
Originally posted by fidy2chevy@Sep 8 2005, 07:46 AM~3775156
what is needed for this swap? can i just bolt it in? how much welding is involved? do i need a spring up grade? do they sell a kit? it comes with a 400 trans is that good?  please give me any info you might have or any info you know!!!!!
DO !! I sold my buddy a 64 vert years ago, and did dropped a 454 and TH400 in it. It bolts right in to the chassis holes. You just need a new tranny crossmember. We ran one of those tubular universal types...just cut to fit and weld the mounts to the frame. Very, very easy !!! Besides the obvious, you will need a kickdown box for the tranny. The 400 uses a electric kick-down, whereas the other trannys use either a cable or lever. Actually, all you would need to do is rig up a micro switch on the carb, similar to the NOS switches and use that to trigger the tranny. IT would be awesome.


John
 

·
Pescos and Rays
Joined
·
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dont???? care to explain or are complete sentences to much exercise fer ya???
 

·
Pescos and Rays
Joined
·
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by REin4ST@Sep 8 2005, 06:06 PM~3778448
DO !!  I sold my buddy a 64 vert years ago, and did dropped a 454 and TH400 in it.  It bolts right in to the chassis holes.  You just need a new tranny crossmember.  We ran one of those tubular universal types...just cut to fit and weld the mounts to the frame.  Very, very easy !!!  Besides the obvious, you will need a kickdown box for the tranny. The 400 uses a electric kick-down, whereas the other trannys use either a cable or lever.  Actually, all you would need to do is rig up a micro switch on the carb, similar to the NOS switches and use that to trigger the tranny.  IT would be awesome.
John
thats what i was tinking it would be "awsome" huh i figure if not stock go all out.... im picking it up this weekend ill post b4 during and after picks as i go but things will be slow....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
Also, I'm sure you know, don't forget that thing needs to be kept cool. So a bigger radiator is in order. What I did is opted for a "409" radiator, which has bigger tanks, then recored it to a 4-row. This was just for apperance. You can always run an aluminum which is better anyway. As far as the springs go, is it lowered now ? If not the extra weight would give it a nice rake, if thats what your after. I would definately do it !! Why must a lowrider be low and slow ??

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
Originally posted by fidy2chevy@Sep 8 2005, 05:10 PM~3778469
thats what i was tinking it would be "awsome" huh i figure if not stock go all out.... im picking it up this weekend ill post b4 during and after picks as i go but things will be slow....
Right on bro..keep me posted on the work.

John
 

·
Pescos and Rays
Joined
·
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by REin4ST@Sep 8 2005, 06:12 PM~3778474
Also, I'm sure you know, don't forget that thing needs to be kept cool. So a bigger radiator is in order.  What I did is opted for a "409" radiator, which  has bigger tanks, then recored it to a 4-row.  This was just for apperance.  You can always run an aluminum which is better anyway.  As far as the springs go, is it lowered now ?  If not the extra weight would give it a nice rake, if thats what your after.  I would definately do it !!  Why must a lowrider  be low and slow ??

John
it comes with a 4 core aluminum radiator and alot of other goodies. yeah im lowered thats what im woried about the most. i dont wanna raise hers but ..... any ideas of suspension upgrades im looking at?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,195 Posts
stiffer springs up front. do the trans cooler lines come out the same place?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla@Sep 8 2005, 06:49 PM~3779080
stiffer springs up front.  do the trans cooler lines come out the same place?
They all come out of the pass. of the tranny. As far as the springs, you can order a set of "409" spring then cut them down, or you can go with Air-RideTechnologys set-ups. There are many different options. It's all up to you


John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
Originally posted by fidy2chevy@Sep 8 2005, 07:46 AM~3775156
what is needed for this swap? can i just bolt it in? how much welding is involved? do i need a spring up grade? do they sell a kit? it comes with a 400 trans is that good?  please give me any info you might have or any info you know!!!!!
How's it coming ??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by REin4ST@Sep 9 2005, 11:53 AM~3782034
They all come out of the pass. of the tranny.  As far as the springs, you can order a set of "409" spring then cut them down, or you can go with Air-RideTechnologys set-ups. There are many different options.  It's all up to you
John
i meant out of the radiator :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,470 Posts
Originally posted by fidy2chevy@Sep 8 2005, 06:08 PM~3778455
dont???? care to explain or are complete sentences to much exercise fer ya???
just cuz a '64 impala should be a lowrider not a hot rod. if you wanna do some shit like that get a chevelle or camaro dont mess up an impala. thats just my opinion though i didnt want to get into that.
 

·
Pescos and Rays
Joined
·
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by 3onthree@Sep 11 2005, 05:00 PM~3794233
my 327 on my '63 is all the power i could possibly need especially ridin on 13's.

Okay now your sayin something, it still aint gonna stop me from doing it though. Oh have you even bothered to read my signature? Im not your typical lowrider at all! I do like my ride lowered but wires are for electrical use only(for now anyways). I mean i like wires but everyone has them.

My thinking is its a SUPER SPORT it should act like one.

Im getting the engine this week end it should be in and humming for sure by the next season. if its done early ill just have to pass my time on the track hehehehe.
if it makes ya feel any better ill put the wires back on b4 i race the gear heads just to add a lil salt ;) .

I think that an Impala can be whatever the OWNER wants it to be .... lowrider, lowrodder, hot rod, vintage looker, rusto rod. So as long as Im flippin the bill Im making the choices, but its always nice to get an opinion or two .... thanx for that!

And for my next big trick I'll turn a Delorean into a hopper :rofl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,696 Posts
Originally posted by fidy2chevy@Sep 14 2005, 12:13 PM~3812605
Okay now your sayin something, it still aint gonna stop me from doing it though. Oh have you even bothered to read my signature? Im not your typical lowrider at all! I do like my ride lowered but wires are for electrical use only(for now anyways). I mean i like wires but everyone has them.

My thinking is its a SUPER SPORT it should act like one.

Im getting the engine this week end it should be in and humming for sure by the next season. if its done early ill just have to pass my time on the track hehehehe.
if it makes ya feel any better ill put the wires back on b4 i race the gear heads just to add a lil salt ;)  . 

I think that an Impala can be whatever the OWNER wants it to be .... lowrider, lowrodder, hot rod, vintage looker, rusto rod. So as long as Im flippin the bill Im making the choices, but its always nice to get an opinion or two .... thanx for that!

And for my next big trick I'll turn a Delorean into a hopper  :rofl:
my 64 im rat rodding ,i have a lowrider screw what everyone thinks
mine has a 454 witha 700 overdrive.the motor is out right now and im beefing it up and cleaning up the engine bay.good luck with it.i ran my stock radiator and had no problems ,ill get a bigger one later no rush
springs yes get some stiffer ones with that motor in there i have some 2 inch lowered impala bob springs and they are smashed ,sits nice and low and doesnt hit ...but it is spongey and i can yank the front wheels but then it bottoms out :(
also upgrade the carrier bearing or it will break every weekend :0
im thinking of putting a monte carlo ss posi rear end under mine with another banana bar to make it 4 link, its shorter so i can run 13s with my skirts on and have posi :biggrin: oh and my 13s are 88 spoke dayts ,taht i painted YELLOW :0 :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
Originally posted by fidy2chevy@Sep 14 2005, 09:13 AM~3812605
Okay now your sayin something, it still aint gonna stop me from doing it though. Oh have you even bothered to read my signature? Im not your typical lowrider at all! I do like my ride lowered but wires are for electrical use only(for now anyways). I mean i like wires but everyone has them.

My thinking is its a SUPER SPORT it should act like one.

Im getting the engine this week end it should be in and humming for sure by the next season. if its done early ill just have to pass my time on the track hehehehe.
if it makes ya feel any better ill put the wires back on b4 i race the gear heads just to add a lil salt ;)  . 

I think that an Impala can be whatever the OWNER wants it to be .... lowrider, lowrodder, hot rod, vintage looker, rusto rod. So as long as Im flippin the bill Im making the choices, but its always nice to get an opinion or two .... thanx for that!

And for my next big trick I'll turn a Delorean into a hopper  :rofl:
You got that right...Do whatever you want...Why can't you have a hopper hit 48" and dothe quarter mile in 10 second or less !! :biggrin: Good luck with the 64 and keep me posted on the progress !!! As far as the Delorean, I think it would probably do better as a hopper then it did as a hover-craft !!

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,848 Posts
Originally posted by 3onthree@Sep 11 2005, 05:59 PM~3794222
just cuz a '64 impala should be a lowrider not a hot rod. if you wanna do some shit like that get a chevelle or camaro dont mess up an impala.  thats just my opinion though i didnt want to get into that.
ya, like gm made these cars just to be lowriders :uh: :uh: and put them out in the muscle car era ;)
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top