LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was it to keep the frame from hitting?

If it's not LRM legal, then would making custom a-arms with special spindals be another option for better coil action?

W

·
0 Posts
homie spreadin the belly is not as hard as every one makes it out to b plus if u "cut or split" u already did it wrong and it is done so nice lowrider will never catch on unless they mesure the frame rails which is highly unlikely and yes it keeps u from bottoming out with high rear jacking and with out taking ur front bumper offf

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
in all the time of judging, I never had a problem with splitting the belly of a hopper, sometimes it's necessary... especially seeing as how a lot of people don't know how to reinforce a frame properly and the belly collapses. I've seen many cars with split bellies and never once was anyone dq'd because of it... Of course, I don't know about next year... we'll have to see what the judges do this next season.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I don't see why it would be a problem anyways. all you are doing is rolling the frame rails out so the SAI and other suspension angles change to affect the jounce and rebound of the suspension.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
how do you guys shim in the all the steering linkage and front bumper, body mounts and everything else that goes on the rails after you've maked them lean out like that?

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Originally posted by Cadillac Bob+Nov 9 2003, 07:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cadillac Bob @ Nov 9 2003, 07:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--badass 64@Nov 9 2003, 05:04 AM
how do you guys shim in the all the steering linkage and front bumper, body mounts and everything else that goes on the rails after you've maked them lean out like that?
I was wondering the same thing...[/b][/quote]
You only have to readjust the tie-rods if you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
what if you dont know what you are doing? :biggrin:

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by skandalouz@Nov 8 2003, 11:19 PM
I don't see why it would be a problem anyways. all you are doing is rolling the frame rails out so the SAI and other suspension angles change to affect the jounce and rebound of the suspension.
OK I'll ask.

What does this mean?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
What I want to know is..........How the hell did they come up w/ this idea. Not that I'm questioning it by any means. But who, one day, was sitting around and goes "hey, I know, lets split the frame and that'll add inches"...?

I'm sure you could ask this question about a ton of stuff, but just was curious.

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
Originally posted by Indy64@Nov 10 2003, 05:16 PM
What I want to know is..........How the hell did they come up w/ this idea. Not that I'm questioning it by any means. But who, one day, was sitting around and goes "hey, I know, lets split the frame and that'll add inches"...?

I'm sure you could ask this question about a ton of stuff, but just was curious.
I think it was more... " my belly collapsed, what can I do to repair it instead of replacing the whole frame..."

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by Hydros+Nov 9 2003, 11:02 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Hydros @ Nov 9 2003, 11:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--skandalouz@Nov 8 2003, 11:19 PM
I don't see why it would be a problem anyways.  all you are doing is rolling the frame rails out so the SAI and other suspension angles change to affect the jounce and rebound of the suspension.
OK I'll ask.

What does this mean?[/b][/quote]
Have you ever had a vehicle that has excessive bumpsteer problems?? its the same thing. Most of these vehicle only take 3/16" to move the whole suspension geometry 1 degree. and that is a lot. when you split the belly to move each side out about 4-7 degrees, which decreases the SAI ( steering axis inclination). Therefore when there is load on the springs it want to shoot up faster and with more force ( same as with bumpsteer when your going down the road). jounce is when the suspension compresses, and rebound is when it goes back up. Get it, or does your brain hurt!!

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by skandalouz+Nov 10 2003, 04:31 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (skandalouz @ Nov 10 2003, 04:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 9 2003, 11:02 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--skandalouz
@Nov 8 2003, 11:19 PM
I don't see why it would be a problem anyways.  all you are doing is rolling the frame rails out so the SAI and other suspension angles change to affect the jounce and rebound of the suspension.

OK I'll ask.

What does this mean?
Have you ever had a vehicle that has excessive bumpsteer problems?? its the same thing. Most of these vehicle only take 3/16" to move the whole suspension geometry 1 degree. and that is a lot. when you split the belly to move each side out about 4-7 degrees, which decreases the SAI ( steering axis inclination). Therefore when there is load on the springs it want to shoot up faster and with more force ( same as with bumpsteer when your going down the road). jounce is when the suspension compresses, and rebound is when it goes back up. Get it, or does your brain hurt!![/b][/quote]
First of all, you got to have a brain to have it to hurt, second, thanks for the input and finally, wasn't the reason for SAI to keep the steering straight, with an upward force on the suspension fighting against gavity would not hopping with your wheels turned do the same thing?

Another Q, Is the center point of SAI now below or above the ground after the frame is split? Thanks Skandalouz

I'll PM in a bit.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
first question- Yes Sai is a directional control angle that assists the wheels in returning to a straight ahead position.

second question- No, SAI does not change when the wheels are turned, that's why vehicle bounce all over the place when the wheels get turned during hopping.

third question- it will depend on how many degrees the SAI has moved. Under normal conditions it is below the ground. I would estimate it to be very close to ground level if not above.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts