LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 JL 12w3d4's, and need an amp for them. Of course i'm on a budget, and I'd like to be as gentle on my cars electrical system (97 Deville) as poosible. I have NO clue whats available, so i'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction...

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Well you need 600w (600-800w would be ok too). The main thing is don't underpower them, if you buy the subs, buy the amp. They are 4ohm so you can run 1ohm load which makes every thing easier. You could also run a 4ohm load, but amps that put out 600w at 4ohm are going to be EXPENSIVE.

Look around for 1ohm load 600wRMS, peak means nothing. Give a couple names (URL's are nice) of what you find, people will comment on them. If you don't find any thing good, well then give us what you'd like to spend, and we can try to accomidate your budget.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Originally posted by usojohn@Aug 26 2005, 12:40 PM~3697731
I have 2 JL 12w3d4's, and need an amp for them. Of course i'm on a budget, and I'd like to be as gentle on my cars electrical system (97 Deville) as poosible. I have NO clue whats available, so i'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction...

I just sold a Memphis 1100d that was clear and very small, it also didnt dim the lights or stress the electrical system much as it had tons of built in capacitance. IMO a very well designed amp, and it would fit right into the wattage you need.

600W RMS @ 2 ohms

1100W [email protected]

300W [email protected] ohm

Look into it homie, kinda expsensive, but very high quality and nice sounding.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
1100w at 1ohm RMS is an AWFUL lot of headroom for those two subwoofers...... Probably find some thing lower priced. 300wRMS at 4ohm would not be enough.

·
Registered
180 Posts
JBL gto 600.1 should be good
nm thats a 2 ohm amp
If you can find the older JBL 600 with the metal JBL logo on top thats a 1 ohm amp
Maybe hifonics brutus 500d would push um right if you make the box a little bigger than they recommend .

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't mind spending the money, but I would rather not, you know? I was just checking out a Crossfire VR600D (I think that was the model), can get it for $425 from the shop. I havent checked Ebay yet

I would like a Memphis, so since I willprobably up my budget, I will look back into them

I also considered Hifonics, but there are so many models I can't tell what is good and what isn't.

So what do you guys think of Crossfire? I'm on my way to Ebay as we speak...

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Originally posted by usojohn+Aug 26 2005, 03:40 PM~3697731-->
[/b]
Originally posted by [email protected] 26 2005, 04:07 PM~3697946
Well you need 600w (600-800w would be ok too). The main thing is don't underpower them, if you buy the subs, buy the amp. They are 4ohm so you can run 1ohm load which makes every thing easier. You could also run a 4ohm load, but amps that put out 600w at 4ohm are going to be EXPENSIVE.

Look around for 1ohm load 600wRMS, peak means nothing. Give a couple names (URL's are nice) of what you find, people will comment on them. If you don't find any thing good, well then give us what you'd like to spend, and we can try to accomidate your budget.
<!--QuoteBegin-usojohn
@Aug 26 2005, 05:41 PM~3698653
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't mind spending the money, but I would rather not, you know? I was just checking out a Crossfire VR600D (I think that was the model), can get it for $425 from the shop. I havent checked Ebay yet

I would like a Memphis, so since I willprobably up my budget, I will look back into them

I also considered Hifonics, but there are so many models I can't tell what is good and what isn't.

So what do you guys think of Crossfire? I'm on my way to Ebay as we speak...
[attachmentid=257520]

http://www.crossfirecaraudio.com/images/Am...VR%20Manual.pdf

That's what I was going to suggest when I read your first post...
The aren't TOO expensive and do rated power...

Attachments

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
Originally posted by Papi_J@Aug 26 2005, 09:27 PM~3700424
Crossfire makes REALLY nice - quality amps
x2

·
Registered
248 Posts

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
I would hit up Crossfire also, Cadence makes a nice Class D amp for about what you are looking to pay.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the help. I remember when Crossfire just came out, and a local stereo shop used to like to push all the new brands coming out. Well, some ended up being good products, and some were junk. I never knew what to think about Crossfire, but I see they must be doing pretty good...

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found this on Ebay. But its weird, it wont let me right click on the auction to get the properties for the link, so I had to go back and get this link from the Ebay link (get it?) I couldn't even cut+copy the item number. Anyways, this is a killer price, and I don't want to get burnt, so if anyone knows anything about this please let me know:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CROSSFIRE-VR600D-AMPLI...1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, so all these amps are in the same price range, why are they so cheap for the power? I remember when class D amps started becoming available 5 or so years back, and I think I remember them not doing so good at reproducing higher frequencies. Is this why I can get all the power for the low price? Looks like itrs between the Orion and the Crossfire, but Phoenix Gold is a good name too. Anyone biased towards or away from any of these? I'd like to hear opinions based on whatever....

·
Registered
207 Posts
All these choices are good, i hate choosing when its narrowed down to two items, but really you can't go wrong.

Prices are low cause its Ebay, all those amps MSRP is anywhere from 400-700.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Originally posted by CastAwayWilson@Aug 26 2005, 02:03 PM~3698341
1100w at 1ohm RMS is an AWFUL lot of headroom for those two subwoofers...... Probably find some thing lower priced. 300wRMS at 4ohm would not be enough.
We have been running a Directed 1500d to TWO W3, and i myself ran a MTX 81000 to TWO W3, thats just two experiences out of my own driveway, theres hundreds more that i've seen others do. Those woofers would take the power!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Originally posted by Scorpion@Aug 29 2005, 09:52 AM~3711684
All these choices are good, i hate choosing when its narrowed down to two items, but really you can't go wrong.

Prices are low cause its Ebay, all those amps MSRP is anywhere from 400-700.
for some reason, Ebay scares the shit out of me.... i can never convence myself to go on there, or even buy anything for that matter... me and my money have a bond, and if someone fucks me over, there is a 98% chance i cant get to to them, or get my money back....

-qs

1 - 20 of 24 Posts