LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 61 Impala is nearing paint. The guy thats done all the bodywork wants $1500 to paint it. I had another paint tell me $600 without even looking at the car. The car is stripped and primed. I cant imagine I would trust a $600 paint job but damn, is that possible? Does it have to do with the number of coats of paint or clear? I dont even know what exactly to ask these guys. Any input from you guys is appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36,809 Posts
Originally posted by BIGSPOOK@Jan 22 2010, 12:40 PM~16376470
i wouldn't trust anyone who would charge only $600 and thats without looking at the car.
might as well go to macco
Co-signed.... :happysad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,151 Posts
Originally posted by austex61@Jan 22 2010, 01:19 PM~16376263
My 61 Impala is nearing paint. The guy thats done all the bodywork wants $1500 to paint it. I had another paint tell me $600 without even looking at the car. The car is stripped and primed. I cant imagine I would trust a $600 paint job but damn, is that possible? Does it have to do with the number of coats of paint or clear? I dont even know what exactly to ask these guys. Any input from you guys is appreciated.
Let the guy who did the bodywork paint it just to avoid any BS if something doesnt turn out right with the bodywork...
 

·
Mr. Paid
Joined
·
5,602 Posts
I would paint it with all the jambs and a good basecoat clearcoat for $600. If it's taken apart and primed the only thing left is to knock down the primer, mask it and spray it. The hard part is already done. We do some cars from start to finish for $1500.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
It all depends on the work the guy does. Try to look at some of the cars he has painted, you'll get a good idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
512 Posts
depends on alot. is he gonna use ppg or dupont base. or nason or omni, a good clear coat or the 49.99 gallon bullshit. cheep isnt always beter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36,809 Posts
Damn I need to find a painter that would charge me 600 for base coat clear coat
Obviously I am in the wrong state :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The car will be primed and the jams painted in a few days. And then he wants another $1500 to paint the car. In both cases I will be paying for the paint. The guy doing the body work is a good guy and having hard times with immigrations issues and the economy. I want to help him out. Not knowing anything about paint/bodywork, I wonder where the labor is. Sanding between coats? I know the car will need to masked. I dont believe he will be assybling anything either. I still have to replace the weatherstripping, refinish the trim and pay someone to put the glass back in. I'm sure I will stick with my guy, just curious where a painter can cut costs that much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,936 Posts
i just quoted a guy over the phone today said he'd do the body work, and prep the vehicle to shoot his 83 chevy pick up 2 door jambs and exterior for 600$

but thats me getting the vehicle, masking and painting otherwise id charge about 1000$ total if i had to prep it, body work would be extra
 

·
Mr. Paid
Joined
·
5,602 Posts
Originally posted by austex61@Jan 22 2010, 06:59 PM~16379799
The car will be primed and the jams painted in a few days. And then  he wants another $1500 to paint the car. In both cases I will be paying for the paint. The guy doing the body work is a good guy and having hard times with immigrations issues and the economy. I want to help him out. Not knowing anything about paint/bodywork, I wonder where the labor is. Sanding between coats? I know the car will need to masked. I dont believe he will be assybling anything either. I still have to replace the weatherstripping, refinish the trim and pay someone to put the glass back in. I'm sure I will stick with my guy, just curious where a painter can cut costs that much.
There's no sanding between coats. Once it's primered, you sand it once and spray it all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,771 Posts
Originally posted by EazyE10286@Jan 22 2010, 01:23 PM~16376859
Let the guy who did the bodywork paint it just to avoid any BS if something doesnt turn out right with the bodywork...
x2
but 600 labor for mask and spray is about right but that dont include jambs or sand and buff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,012 Posts
Originally posted by EazyE10286@Jan 22 2010, 02:23 PM~16376859
Let the guy who did the bodywork paint it just to avoid any BS if something doesnt turn out right with the bodywork...

X5 :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,982 Posts
i start with 1,500 and thats just for seal base clear no buff no body work just plain solid color and i do the jambs and the price goes up with pearls or patterns or stripe/leaf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,012 Posts
Originally posted by zfelix@Jan 23 2010, 01:56 PM~16386086
i start with 1,500 and thats just for seal base clear no buff no body work just plain solid color and i do the jambs and the price goes up with pearls or patterns or stripe/leaf

:cool: :biggrin:
 

·
409
Joined
·
18,283 Posts
Originally posted by EazyE10286@Jan 22 2010, 12:23 PM~16376859
Let the guy who did the bodywork paint it just to avoid any BS if something doesnt turn out right with the bodywork...
;)
 

·
da painter
Joined
·
24,179 Posts
Originally posted by zfelix@Jan 23 2010, 12:56 PM~16386086
i start with 1,500 and thats just for seal base clear no buff no body work just plain solid color and i do the jambs and the price goes up with pearls or patterns or stripe/leaf
same here... 1500.. anything other than that is aprice increase..
4 door cars are a lil more
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
:cool:
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top