LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
do it in a datsun!!
14,491 Posts
Originally posted by CuttieBuddie@Sep 18 2003, 12:22 PM
i mean wat is the reason why you would get it if you were to get a custom suspension kit (bags/hydros).
and if you dont get a 4-link with your set up, what are you missing out on??
they are commonly used on trucks,most trucks have leaf spring style rear suspensions, the 4link will replace the leafs and allow u to lay lower ;)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so i gotta truck, i need a 4-link correct?
is the hieght difference significant?
the rear still gets bags tho right even wit the 4 link??
how would it lock up higher wit a 4-link then if you jus put the bags on the axle, or leaf

·
Registered
21,387 Posts
1.you don't have to have a four link, just cuz you have a truck.
2.the height difference is very significant
3.yes, the rear would still get bags
4.not only does it offer more travel, but you get tighter fender to wheel clearance. and you can also mount them to the frame rail

In a leafspring suspension, the leafs perform 2 functions. First, they hold the rear axle in the car. They prevent both forward and aft movement and minimize pinion angle change during suspension travel. Secondly, while they are doing this, they also support the load of the vehicle. For an OEM vehicle that has had thousands of hours of development time behind it, and that will operate within a predictable range of suspension travel, leafsprings do a very adequate job. The problem occurs when the operating envelope is changed... lower ride height, more horsepower, different weight distribution, maybe a trailer...

With a 4 link suspension,it has separated the function of locating the rear axle and supporting the vehicle, the 4 link rear suspension has the ability to properly locate the rear axle no matter how soft you want to make the spring. With a leafspring rear suspension, softening the spring rate can cause other problems such as side to side flex or axle wrap (when the axle tries to twist the leafs out of the vehicle).

there are two types of four-link-Parallel and Triangulated

Parallel-Pros
1.Slightly easier to visualize and install (bar mounts are built together)
2.Can be installed beside framerail, inboard or outboard
3.May allow more room for exhaust (no angled upper bars)

Parallel-Cons
1.Requires a panhard bar (extra cost and installation)
2.Panhard bar will induce a slight amount of side to side movement during suspension travel... requires slightly more tire to fender clearance
3.Panhard bar may interfere with exhaust

Triangulated-Pros
1.No side to side movement at all... you can run tighter tire to fender clearance
2.Less hardware to buy and install (no panhard bar)
3.Allows flexibility in bar placement to avoid obstacles

Triangulated-Cons
1.Angled upper bars can interfere with exhaust
2.Angled upper bars can interfere with fuel tank on late model trucks
3.4 more attachment points to plot and install (parallel has bar mounts built together

I would go with a triangulated IMO.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
damn good info..

and to answer the question about why does it lift higher..

picture this..

an frame wih the axle below it (stock on your truck): put the bag between the axle and the frame, inflate bag.. the truck will lift the same height as the bag inflates.. a 1 to 1 ratio if you will.. (1 inch of bag stroke = 1 inch of lift)

now, with a 4 link, you have a pivot point that is, say, 3 feet from the axle centerline. you put the bag near that pivot point, and inflate it..
you now have a ratio of, we'll say, 4 to 1..(1 inch of bag stroke = 4 inches of lift)

check out some of the juiced circus hoppers, some of them have 4 links..

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
think of a 4 link more like trailing arms on a car just they have more of a pivot point than trailing arms on my towncar we modified the trailing arms so that they have more of range to do side to side and it lifts good now also its has somewhat of a triangular 4 link already factory also

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks 4 the info, so triangular, for better side to side, high lock ups, and better travel...
am i gonna have to relocate my fuel tank and hoses for this(or basically anything) ...i have a ram 1500 2001?

·
Registered
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by CuttieBuddie@Sep 21 2003, 09:17 AM
thanks 4 the info, so triangular, for better side to side, high lock ups, and better travel...
am i gonna have to relocate my fuel tank and hoses for this(or basically anything) ...i have a ram 1500 2001?
yes, the angled upper bars on a triangulated 4-link can interfere with fuel tanks on late model trucks. you could relocate it, or get a fuel cell. but if you are planning on laying frame, you would have to trash the oem tank anyways.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Originally posted by crazy4hydros@Sep 19 2003, 03:13 AM
doesn't the 4-link also allow u to get a better side to side.......
yup

1 - 17 of 17 Posts