LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about using a thread sealant as opposed to the teflon tape. At least for my cylinders.

After looking around a bit I found three products by Loctite that seem to do the same shit.

Anyone got experience with that stuff?

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Personally I like Teflon tape. Did you know that the tape is really only a lubricant to help you get the threads a better contact. If you buy cheap, shitty, Chinese made fittings, they will leak because the tolerances on the threads are what ever they feel like that day on top of that they use the lowest grade metals. Not saying everything is made this way, but the way its been lately its a mix of shitty cheap workmanship with the cheapest materials possible. In NORTH AMERICA, GERMANY, ITALY, they are actually made to have mating surfaces so therefor when you add just 2-3 wraps of teflon tape you can barely tighten the fitting and not have a leak. Sure good fittings are $4-5 each and chinese are $1-2 each, BUT you save in the price of advil in the end because you wont have a headache that lasts until you change the fittings.... or dope up the shit out of them...

This is why an ADEX is "SO EXPENSIVE". Because it works, the tolerances are tight and the performance is superior. Only people who have had an adex and have good fittings find the prices fair. BECAUSE YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. SO instead of buying pipe dope or loctite sealant, consider replacing your fittings. and DON'T OVER TIGHTEN THEM!!!

Trust me, you will thank yourself you spent that extra bit of money on fittings instead of messy sealants and advils ;)

·
Registered
563 Posts
the regular blue medium strength thread SEALANT like 5 bucks seals well and easy to remove..just a little goes a long way..

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have parker fittings (around here they're about $12 a piece) and prohopper cylinders. 2/3 turns of teflon tape and I still get a very slight leak at the fittings.

It's nothing big...a very very slight amount of oil builds up. But I want no oil

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Sometimes, especially on brass fitting, if you over tightened them once, then they warp and don't seal properly.. Good choice on the parker fittings :thumbsup:

Try cleaning them real good, if that doesn't work then I guess dope them up but usually you can take a bad fitting to the parker store and they replace for free if they are still new, like a few weeks old, even if its human error...

Good luck

·
Registered
55 Posts
hi, i work for an a/c outfit, occasionally i work with the pipe fitters and they always use teflon tape first, then dope on top of that. i think the best would be a small blue bottle called Leak Lock. you have to get it an a/c supply house. its good stuff. use it over tape and i think you will be good to go.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
go to your local home improvement store(lowes-home depot)and in the plumbing they sell liqiud teflon-its like pipe dope-lil plasic jar with a brush in the lid-its like 6-7 bucks and i never had leaks after i put it on-always had lil drips with tape-put in on thinish and it will seal it right up-if ya goop it on it will gob up and not seal as good :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Originally posted by damo@Sep 28 2007, 05:01 PM~8890714
hi, i work for an a/c outfit, occasionally i work with the pipe fitters and they always use teflon tape first, then dope on top of that. i think the best would be a small blue bottle called Leak Lock. you have to get it an a/c supply house. its good stuff. use it over tape and i think you will be good to go.

what a/c company needs pipe fitters ? for what ?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
go to a plumbin wholesaler ask for pipe dope, that shti WORKS
put the pipe dope on first, THEN the teflon (saves you the mess)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll see if I can find some liquid teflon.

Volv_lo, around these parts there is no warranty of any kind of things like that. Even if the guys at the store gave you a bad fitting right out of the gate, you own it.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
always let it cure for the recommended type or else u would have a leak again. i used sealant that they sell on autozone just on the block the rest 2-3 turns of tape. i let the liquid sealant cured for 24 hours and i havent had no leak.

·
Registered
55 Posts
we do commercial and industrial A/C, cooling towers and chilled water systems. We do alot of risers for water cooled condensor systems which usually starts around 12" steel from the tower and tapers down to 1" at the units

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Originally posted by kannabis@Sep 29 2007, 10:53 AM~8894571
I'll see if I can find some liquid teflon. 

Volv_lo, around these parts there is no warranty of any kind of things like that.  Even if the guys at the store gave you a bad fitting right out of the gate, you own it.

Well I guess the pay off is living in a beautiful area right??? CANCUN??

·
McAsshole
1,891 Posts
use that thread sealent with teflon, permatex makes that shit

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
alot of other sealers that harden will seal it but...if you wanna take yo shit apart(ex. dump goes bad and you have to change it out)youll have a hell of a time gettin it apart if you even can-thats y i use the liquid teflon-seals great-stays soft-somethin goes bad its easy to tear it back down and if you take your finger and get execess off after u put it together it looks clean-no brown or red or blue sealer around your fittings-that looks like shit to me

·
On prestamped D's
7,293 Posts
thats why you should allways let it cure for at least 15-20 hrs, dissolved thread tape does the same thing once in the lines. Over here we use Loxeal and no complaints so far. But if you have done tape before it should prevent leaks just the same.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by Volv_lo@Sep 29 2007, 10:01 PM~8897604
Well I guess the pay off is living in a beautiful area right???  CANCUN??

Yeah...I thought so at first, but that only takes you so far

Bottom line, the old "it's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there" applies

I'm sick of this place and will be getting the fuck out soon. Back to civilization

This part of Mexico is so fucked up....

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Really?? Been there about 3 times. Stayed at the piramids twice... Lots of hot bodied tourists to play with :biggrin:

Post a pic of your car.. I've never seen a lowrider there but always ask and look... Of course staying 2 weeks at a time is a bad judgment of what it would be like to live there full time, but It sure seems like a nice place to live... Sorry to hear you have to pay premium prices on hydraulic parts...

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Volv_lo@Oct 1 2007, 11:32 AM~8907229
Really??  Been there about 3 times.  Stayed at the piramids twice...    Lots of hot bodied tourists to play with  :biggrin:

Post a pic of your car..  I've never seen a lowrider there but always ask and look...  Of course staying 2 weeks at a time is a bad judgment of what it would be like to live there full time, but It sure seems like a nice place to live...  Sorry to hear you have to pay premium prices on hydraulic parts...
Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely beautiful here. Good parties and all that, but if you live here it's a different game.

I'm lucky the guy at the Parker store is real cool and quite knowledgeable. The first time I went in there I needed a few hoses, he asked me what are these from? I pointed to my car, he looked back confused so I told him to come around the counter and have a look in the trunk...

ever since then he gives me 30% off. :cool:

As far as finding "lowrider" hydraulics, impossible. You go to the machine shop and have them fab things up if need be or you order from the States and have people bring things.

Shipping things here doesn't really work for me mostly due to the cost (I'm not going to pay $50 for deep cups, and $75 to ship them here), but it's also hard to get people in the U.S. to ship things to Mexico.

Finding car parts around here for old rides is almost impossible too. Many of the "mechanics" have no idea what I'm talking about since they can ONLY work from a part number and their computers only go back to '84 if I remember correctly. This is the Chevrolet dealership btw

That combined with the salt is the reason you don't see old cars around here let alone lowriders.

My car has been waiting for almost 2 years to get back on the road. I can't get a fuckin fuel pump ANYWHERE, let alone a gasket for it...which is technically the only thing wrong with it. So here I am trying to get a client of my friend to bring one down for me....this is 3 weeks and counting

but yeah...it's beautiful :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts