LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I KNOW YOU HAVE TO USE FIBERGLASS BUT WHAT BRAND AND METHOD SEEMS TO WORK THE BEST AND IS THE STRONGEST??? I HAVE HEARD OF FIBERGLASS RESIN AND THEN ACTUALL FIBERGLASS OVER THAT IN LAYERD STEPS I HAVE ALSO HEARD OF USING KITTY HAIR AND THEN KITTY HAIR WITH THE FIDERGLASS MESH AND OR STRANDS LET ME KNOW WHAT WILL BE THE STRONGEST AND HOW MANY LAYERS TO DO THANKS TONY
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
THE REAL SECRET IS FOAM! You can get it at any hardwere store. spray expanding foam in a can,they use it for isallation. Spray it from the holes in the door jams and from the in side of the trunk toword the Q.P. ;) ;) :biggrin: :cool: :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Originally posted by 60_N_UP@Nov 25 2003, 01:41 AM
THE REAL SECRET IS FOAM! You can get it at any hardwere store. spray expanding foam in a can,they use it for isallation. Spray it from the holes in the door jams and from the in side of the trunk toword the Q.P. ;) ;) :biggrin: :cool: :cool:
i have done that before but what about fire the triple expanding foam is very flamable does anyone know of a non flamable substitute
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,925 Posts
i only use foam where i cant reach. then i use kitty hair from most paint stores. dont be cheap though, i used 1/2 gallon on each side of my regal and it lasted about 2 years and then buckled. so now i use 1-2 gallons on each side, i just did a 65 impala and it has 3 gallons from the doors back. IF you do use foam dont get tripple expansion, some times it will push your quarters out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
733 Posts
Let me get this right, the reinforcing of the quaterpanels is for bumper action right.
 

·
59 imp 64 imp 77 mc
Joined
·
11,239 Posts
weld in some @ 1/8-1/4inch flat metal strips (about 2-4 inches wide) horizontaly all the way down the inside of the quarter panel, be careful not to over heat! Do about a inch weld at a time cooling with water so the sheet metal shrinks bac. Lay them down over the spots that you know will buckle. Once your done with that do your fiberglass or what have you over the top, and you can bumper check wit out worries.
 
O

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Originally posted by B_A_RIDER@Nov 28 2003, 03:59 AM
weld in some @ 1/8-1/4inch flat metal strips (about 2-4 inches wide) horizontaly all the way down the inside of the quarter panel, be careful not to over heat! Do about a inch weld at a time cooling with water so the sheet metal shrinks bac. Lay them down over the spots that you know will buckle. Once your done with that do your fiberglass or what have you over the top, and you can bumper check wit out worries.
;) :thumbsup: best way!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Equipped Customs+Nov 30 2003, 12:38 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Equipped Customs @ Nov 30 2003, 12:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--B_A_RIDER@Nov 28 2003, 03:59 AM
weld in some @ 1/8-1/4inch flat metal strips (about 2-4 inches wide) horizontaly all the way down the inside of the quarter panel, be careful not to over heat! Do about a inch weld at a time cooling with water so the sheet metal  shrinks bac. Lay them down over the spots that you know will buckle. Once your done with that do your fiberglass or what have you over the top, and you can bumper check wit out worries.
;) :thumbsup: best way![/b][/quote]
thanks for the advice guys but i am cool with weldeing metal to my qtrs other than that whats the best way
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,106 Posts
** I am planning on buying a big roll of "carbon kevlar" with my buddy who is starting to make his own import parts... I have decided to use about 3-4 layers of this on the qtrs.. i was thinking of using the spray/expanding foam as well but the fire risk is high... If i was to use the foam i was considering using a barrier layer of carbon kevlar on the outside as well.........Carbon is lighter & the Kevlar is the strenght behind it..... Lighter but stronger than fiberglass.....


**Horizontal bars of steel welded to the sheet metal........... Hmmm.. Sounds like it would really work decent..I will thin about that ...... Strips of steel & some Carbon kevlar or fiberglass reinforcement



Last edited by STREET SWEEPAZ at Nov 30 2003, 08:48 AM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,106 Posts
Originally posted by On Fire@Dec 1 2003, 07:48 AM
Good Information, but how to repair buckled quarters?

Thanks!
push them out from the inside or pull the body on a rack.... Thats the only way i have seen them done...
 

·
I'm a real
Joined
·
3,058 Posts
Originally posted by STREET SWEEPAZ+Dec 1 2003, 11:08 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (STREET SWEEPAZ @ Dec 1 2003, 11:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--On Fire@Dec 1 2003, 07:48 AM
Good Information, but how to repair buckled quarters?

Thanks!
push them out from the inside or pull the body on a rack.... Thats the only way i have seen them done...[/b][/quote]
Yeah pulling them... What about cutting them and replacing them?

:dunno:
 

·
59 imp 64 imp 77 mc
Joined
·
11,239 Posts
Originally posted by On Fire+Dec 4 2003, 08:57 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (On Fire @ Dec 4 2003, 08:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -STREET [email protected] 1 2003, 11:08 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--On Fire
@Dec 1 2003, 07:48 AM
Good Information, but how to repair buckled quarters?

Thanks!

push them out from the inside or pull the body on a rack.... Thats the only way i have seen them done...
Yeah pulling them... What about cutting them and replacing them?

:dunno:[/b][/quote]
you could do that, but you probably still need to pull all the structural shit back to place on a rack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i still am not gonna weld metal to my qtrs
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top