LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up, LIL

I'm a professor of cultural studies at a small college and I'm working on a book about lowriding. I've been doing research, checking out shows, and cruising around since 96, mostly in Austin. I got out of it for a couple of years to finish my degree and find a job.

I was just reading in the Sept. magazine and the editor mentioned a boycott. What was that about? I know there have been lots of changes of editor over the years, but I'd like to know about this specific event. If you know, drop me a PM or post and tell me how you see it, whether you boycotted or not, etc.

peace

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Lowriders battle for the top
Owners and clubs have a choice of events in Fontana and San Bernardino

BY CECILIA M. GOMEZ AND GEORGE WATSON
THE PRESS-ENTERPRISE

Most everyone who knows anything about lowriders is familiar with the candy-red 1995 Camaro hyped as the Undertaker. With an interior filled with wavy stripes of bright reds and blacks and a set of $2,000 gold rims, the car screams for attention and gets it from adoring fans.

The car, part of a club from Dallas, last year won Lowrider Magazine's car of the month award. But instead of showing off the flashy vehicle at Lowrider's car show Sunday in San Bernardino, the club went to Fontana for an alternative event created to boycott the magazine.

Car owners said they are tired of Lowrider jacking up entry fees -- currently $45 per vehicle -- for its traveling show that makes 16 stops around the nation. They also say the magazine, the pre-eminent read for lowrider aficionados, doesn't compensate them and yet makes money with each issue and every car show.

"We like to go out to every car show in the country," said Rubin Hernandez, 22, of Dallas. "What they are doing is unfair. We came out here to represent our members and to support the boycott."

More than 600 cars, trucks, vans, motorcycles and even bicycles were on hand as local and out-of-town owners and clubs gathered at the California Speedway in Fontana. In San Bernardino, about 400 vehicles were displayed at Lowrider Magazine and Go-Lo Entertainment's Lowrider Scrapin' Tour 2002 at the National Orange Show. Typically, a Lowrider event involves at least 500 vehicles or more.

The International Lowriding Alliance, a coalition of national and international clubs, sponsored the Fontana event and promoted it as an affordable show made for families. Lowrider Magazine's shows feature scantily-clad women available for photographs, a sight absent from Fontana.

Rudy Serna, tour manager for Go-Lo Entertainment and spokesman for the magazine, said the company thinks $45 per car is a fair entry fee. Still, the Fontana boycott made a powerful point, he said.

"They did get our attention," Serna said. "But there's nothing they are disputing that can't be resolved. But some of the guys out there won't come to the table and talk. We'd like it to be resolved so they can come back to be where they are supported."

Pete Cruz, a Lowriding Alliance spokesman, said the group formed after members of his car club, a national organization known as Techniques, based in Los Angeles, could not participate in a show held last October in Las Vegas after they had pre-paid registration.

"We told them we were bringing 25 cars out and when we got there they only gave us space for 10," Cruz said.

Cruz later found a member of another club who also was unhappy with the magazine. Before long, as many as two dozen other groups joined, and word of the boycott quickly spread across the Internet throughout the lowriding community.

Among the group's complaints, they say, is that the magazine uses photos of their cars, and even sells the photos, but doesn't compensate the cars' owners. Serna referred questions about the photographs to the magazine's editorial staff, who could not be reached for comment Sunday.

Fidel Deanda, founder of the Limited Style Car Club Bike Club, attended the Fontana show but wished he could have gone to Lowrider's show with his '67 Chevy Caprice.

"I'd like to be there, but the prices are outrageous," said Deanda, 21, of Riverside. "They are making money off our cars, our hard-earned money, our hard work, but they aren't paying us anything."

Some vendors joined the boycott, such as Keith Pena of Homeboyz Hood Wear from Ontario.

Pena said his vendor fees for past Lowrider events have been as high as $690. At the Fontana event, he paid $50. On Sunday, Pena also showed his support for the boycott by selling all merchandise at cost.

An attendance count for the Fontana show was not available, but it appeared to be significantly fewer than the estimated 10,000 who attended in San Bernardino.

Reach Cecilia M. Gomez at (909) 368-9554 or [email protected] and George Watson at (909) 368-9457 or [email protected]

Published 2/25/2002

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
might be a different boycott? old article that was posted

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
other than the ads. I have bad blood for Lowrider mag, back in 02 i went to a LRM show in NC. When I was going through the security line at 4am, I had my digital camera on the front seat of my truck. one of lrm security lifted my camera off the seat when I was opening the car on the trailer.. 700.00 camera.

I know it was them because they were the only ones in the truck and I took a pic right before I went into the line..

·
7,431 Posts
There was a boycott a few years ago where most of the major clubs didn't attend any shows. The article is talking about it. After that season the mag added a pass to the entry fee, let us bring coolers in on setup day, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. Is there any other magazine that's challenging LRM on the national level?

D

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by TheLowDr@Aug 8 2005, 09:31 AM~3560317
Thanks for the replies. Is there any other magazine that's challenging LRM on the national level?

Yes, Blvd and Orlies

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
you said Blvd Mag, the makers of those "nice" lowrider toys

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Originally posted by DIPPINIT@Aug 8 2005, 11:36 AM~3560337
Yes, Blvd and Orlies
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
I think Orlies lasted longer than that thing called BLVD

·
Registered
29 Posts
i agree, lrm does have a lot of ads but one thing im tired of is the 90% naked women, i mean women are cool but i buy the mag for the cars. i like to let my kids look at it but they cant cause of some of the content.

D

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by the sicness@Aug 8 2005, 03:19 PM~3562113
i agree, lrm does have a lot of ads but one thing im tired of is the 90% naked women, i mean women are cool but i buy the mag for the cars. i like to let my kids look at it but they cant cause of some of the content.
Like the last issue where the had the shooting contest for the set of 20" rims???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Originally posted by the sicness@Aug 8 2005, 05:19 PM~3562113

I dont like the ads and some of the cars(i'll get over it next issue) but dammit my Mag doesnt have a model on it because of the placement of the address label, the new issue her damn leg is cut off from it.. put the mag in a bag and ship it but damn dont take the lady off the car...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts