LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was taking off my stock rims off 89 towncar and on the first lug to come off it striped the stud on the end 3 treads of stud.my ? is, could i file down the strip treads or cut it off right where the good threads start,or get a new one ?it does not look that bad but i never had this type of problem before can someone help asap.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Originally posted by Payasomm@Jul 28 2003, 09:49 PM
sometimes my lug nut will get stripped, maybe Im tightening them to much. Does anyone know how many foot pounds to tighten them, I have a 77 monte
i would never tighten them to more than 100ft/lbs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla@Jul 28 2003, 01:32 AM~923847
just one?  that fucker took me all day to get out when it happened to me

what kind of hammer were u using...a plastic one? time to get a real one. a nice 48 ouncer is what i use sweetheart. one good tap and poof its out.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Originally posted by dough916@Jul 29 2003, 09:53 AM~928413
i would never tighten them to more than 100ft/lbs.
how do you actually know how many pound u have applied? is there any digital device of digital ratchet that can measure pounds as it is tightening?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Originally posted by 85CrownVictoria@Aug 6 2007, 12:17 PM~8483836
how do you actually know how many pound u have applied? is there any digital device of digital ratchet that can measure pounds as it is tightening?
You're telling me you have never heard of a torque wrench??? Please go buy one right now. Your car will thank you.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Originally posted by jayoldschool@Aug 6 2007, 10:29 AM~8483943
You're telling me you have never heard of a torque wrench???  Please go buy one right now.  Your car will thank you.

:thumbsup: A torque wrench should be everyones best friend. Unless you beleive in the German goodNtight...method of torque.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by Payasomm@Jul 28 2003, 09:49 PM~926962
sometimes my lug nut will get stripped, maybe Im tightening them to much.  Does anyone know how many foot pounds to tighten them, I have a 77 monte

steel rim, 80 ft lbs

·
Registered
317 Posts
can anyone give me basic guidance on how to remove the disc, i need to replace that and my studs from a recent problem with my spokes, messed up the tread and my disc needs to go anyway,,, i know how to remove caliper, how would i go about removing the disc, from the back? i just wanna see if its common sense procedure if not ill leave it to my homie at the shop to handle it...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts