LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there some type of special film or paper when do a mural...like say you wanted to paint a cartoon character on something. how would you do it.

i guess im talkin about stencils...not like a freehand mural...how do you do one using stencils...if someone could explain it simply it would help me so much...i have almost all the equiptment needed(i believe) jus need to know the basic concept

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
get some frisket paper..........it's like $15 for a 15 foot roll i think........

i couldn't tell you all the steps i tried airbrushing myself.........

i used to be OK with a regular air brush.........

but now i got a dual action.........and it is sorta tricky...but dammit i'll get it!!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i have a dual action paasche...ive been workin on pinting a fighting irish on an old bike helmet just for practice...but im jus experimenting on what i think makes sense, so it isnt turning out al that great. i cant get my lines to be strict lines. they kind of blur and fade into the other colors when im using a stencil...

but i jus ordered a couple of books on airbrushing automitves, so hopefully alot of my questions will be answered

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Originally posted by himae15@Oct 3 2003, 03:46 AM
yea i have a dual action paasche...ive been workin on pinting a fighting irish on an old bike helmet just for practice...but im jus experimenting on what i think makes sense, so it isnt turning out al that great. i cant get my lines to be strict lines. they kind of blur and fade into the other colors when im using a stencil...

but i jus ordered a couple of books on airbrushing automitves, so hopefully alot of my questions will be answered
whats books and where u order em from ??

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
i would draw it out if your lines are blurring..........

when i use stencils i usually like to go around the entire edges so it looks better.........

this way if you draw it out you won't have to worry...........

i have a badger 155 anthem........the kit only costed $120 but it was worth it this brush will do REALLY thin lines and thick lines without changing the tip!!!

i would recommmend it to anyone on a budget the only thing i don't like is it is a siphon feed (bottom cup)

oh yeah where and what books did you order???...tell us.......

·
Registered
407 Posts
do not use frisket when using automotive paints. I used that stuff and the paint will eat up the film. They sell special large rolls of masking film for doing flames. I use one inch maskng tape sometimes--never had problem with it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i ordered

"cheap tips and tricks"

and

"how to paint custom graphics"..

there reall good books i jsu got them in 2 days ago and they really clear up alot of things. they are both good books for beginners. it runs through different types of paint (enamel, urethane....) tells wut the difference between them are. and then they start getting into different effects you can acheive using your airbrush.and even though they go through specific effects (like they have a chapter were they show how o tpaint a wood effect on a car) yopu can still take those tecniques and apply them to other effests you want to acheive...

you can get them at amazon.com

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Originally posted by himae15@Oct 5 2003, 06:23 AM
i ordered

"cheap tips and tricks"

and

"how to paint custom graphics"..

there reall good books i jsu got them in 2 days ago and they really clear up alot of things. they are both good books for beginners. it runs through different types of paint (enamel, urethane....) tells wut the difference between them are. and then they start getting into different effects you can acheive using your airbrush.and even though they go through specific effects (like they have a chapter were they show how o tpaint a wood effect on a car) yopu can still take those tecniques and apply them to other effests you want to acheive...

you can get them at amazon.com
damm i wish i could get them , i dont trust ordering anything over the net

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya i know how you feel but amazon is a HUGE company. so they are 110% legit. but i hate risking ordering stuff from those small ass companies with shitty websites...

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
yeah i got that cheap tricks and special fx book........it IS badass.............

oh i guess i should have pointed out i use alot of water based paint...........

not usually recommended for murals...........but i am going to give it a shot..........

i figure if the paint go's bad later i'll just shoot another mural on and i won't be out much money :biggrin:

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
*** The masking paper i use is called "AutoMask" -- You can buy it from "COASTAIRBRUSH.COM" It costs about $30 for a 12"x100yd roll... I would reccomend the "clear" version because it is alot easier to see thru & that makes it easier to cut & to see thru while doing multiple graffix .... You can use the sprayable mask too "fluid mask"....

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
** i sure do ,,, I will try to have a pic of a helmet i did real quick one day for a buddys wife -- she was heading down to a car show called "Autovations" down in Minneapolis .she owns a 97 or so supercharged grand prix called "QWKCHK"... i did a matching nitrous bottle too....i think my pics are too high resolution & too big tho .... i will try ..... The shit works great -- The clear automask is best for the $$ cause its the same price......

·
Registered
407 Posts
Originally posted by SWITCHCRAFT@Oct 5 2003, 09:55 AM
yeah i got that cheap tricks and special fx book........it IS badass.............

oh i guess i should have pointed out i use alot of water based paint...........

not usually recommended for murals...........but i am going to give it a shot..........

i figure if the paint go's bad later i'll just shoot another mural on and i won't be out much money :biggrin:
water base is cool cause you can work on it and let it sit for days or weeks without any clear on top. The draw backs is that its not durable and it can fade with time in the sun. Automotive is the best, but it does have to be atleast sprayed with an intercoat clear within the next day.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Here's a nice trick to do when using frisket. Magnets stick to metal, right? so if some of your frisket looses its sticky ness then just place a small magnet on top of the area which is giving you a problem.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you want those airbrush books to to you local book store they will order them let you look and then buy. I have both and they are great. cheap trix and f/x is by craig frasier from cal and he sells videos for painting helmets and cars. it is a must have book for the novice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts