LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about to repaint my Caddy, Id like to go with a black base, some gold pearl and top it all with candy red. my question is will the candy need to be sprayed as carefully with the black base as it would with a silver or gold base where the candy would be the most visible color? Will tigerstripes and overlap problems be as clearly visable with a black base?

·
Registered
802 Posts
You won't see the streaks as well on black but you should keep it consistant. I've sprayed many cars candy over black and the best results were from Brandywine, Red, Orientel blue and Oranic green over black.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats just what i wanted to know, thanks, what type of pearl do i need to use? I was thinking HOK Ice pearl, but will any pearl work?

·
Registered
802 Posts
If you use the HOK Ice pearl you'll see it all of the time like mini flake. Remember, the black base is not a metalic so it will not help the Ice pearl to blend in. You need to use a powder pearl like PPG or HOK. Murano pearls will work the best but they are very hard to find.

·
Registered
14,363 Posts
Originally posted by TraditionalLowriding@Sep 27 2005, 06:46 PM~3897157
If you use the HOK Ice pearl you'll see it all of the time like mini flake. Remember, the black base is not a metalic so it will not help the Ice pearl to blend in. You need to use a powder pearl like PPG or HOK. Murano pearls will work the best but they are very hard to find.

why is that?

who says it is sapposed to blend in...

·
Registered
802 Posts
If that's the look you're going for then have at it! Candies were made to go over a metallic base coat to achieve the depth candies are known for. Spraying candy over black leaves the car looking black with a little glow of color when the suns on it. Putting Ice Pearl under the candy on a black paint job would be a little loud for my taste. But like I said, if this is what you want then have at it.

With that said, why don't you tell him what you would do....

·
Registered
14,363 Posts
Originally posted by Ulysses 2@Sep 27 2005, 06:13 PM~3896888
Im about to repaint my Caddy, Id like to go with a black base, some gold pearl and top it all with candy red. my question is will the candy need to be sprayed as carefully with the black base as it would with a silver or gold base where the candy would be the most visible color? Will tigerstripes and overlap problems be as clearly visable with a black base?

going with the black base is obious that you want a dark color....

black base with gold pearl midcoat then topped with kandy is just like using a dark gold base.

depending on the amount of gold pearl used will determin how vibrant the color will be ex..apple red: brandy wine color.

regardless of base you should also spray evenly, to answer your question is harder to f-up a dark base kandy..or i should say imperfections are less visable...

the advise on dry pearl over the base :nono: i would not suggest it.
dry pearl will consists of you itercoating with clear rather than using a liquid pearl wich will flash in 20 minutes... a whole big step that is not needed<material wise

my suggestion is simply to use a charcol base< nice dark color which is easy on imperfections....then apply your kandy, and clear.

·
Registered
14,363 Posts
Originally posted by TraditionalLowriding@Sep 28 2005, 01:42 AM~3899967
If that's the look you're going for then have at it! Candies were made to go over a metallic base coat to achieve the depth candies are known for. Spraying candy over black leaves the car looking black with a little glow of color when the suns on it. Putting Ice Pearl under the candy on a black paint job would be a little loud for my taste. But like I said, if this is what you want then have at it.

With that said, why don't you tell him what you would do....
kandies look just as good over non metallic bases or if not better!

your right about the black and the color not being visable, thats why ice, and pearls come into play in this area for the reason they clash and, and they do blend in very well thus giving us ghostly effect!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Spraying anything that's even close to flake over a flat base coat can be very risky. In the sun it can look cool but in the shade it can look like specs of dirt. And yes this idea of ice pearl under a candy over black base coat can become a reality if he wants but I don't think that's the look he was going for.

·
Registered
14,363 Posts
Originally posted by TraditionalLowriding@Sep 28 2005, 01:54 AM~3900003
Spraying anything that's even close to flake over a flat base coat can be very risky. In the sun it can look cool but in the shade it can look like specs of dirt. And yes this idea of ice pearl under a candy over black base coat can become a reality if he wants but I don't think that's the look he was going for.
in most cases yes...

he stated kandy which makes it ok

·
Registered
802 Posts
Look, I'm not some 25 year old kid with enough time on my hands to leave over 1,000 posts on LayItLow. I'm a full time shop owner with over 40 cars and trucks being worked on right now. I didn't have to switch from painting cars to motorcycles because if you're the best at what you do then people will the pay the money bottem line! There are people on here who know who I am and what I have accomplished from best candy awards from LRM to best paint at the Oakland Roadster Show.

It probably doesn't matter what I say because you've obviously got more time than I do to argue. Next time I try and give some advice I'll e-mail you first to see if It's o.k. ;)

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Youve both been very Helpful. Im not a painter but me and a freind of mine painted the car the first time and it turned out pretty good. I just dont want to jump into painting a candy yet so Im trying to use the black base to make something that looks good and thats not too easy to screw up. Also the car is black now and it looks good so I dont want to stray tooo far from that.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Originally posted by TraditionalLowriding@Sep 28 2005, 10:29 AM~3902082
Look, I'm not some 25 year old kid with enough time on my hands to leave over 1,000 posts on LayItLow. I'm a full time shop owner with over 40 cars and trucks being worked on right now. I didn't have to switch from painting cars to motorcycles because if you're the best at what you do then people will the pay the money bottem line! There are people on here who know who I am and what I have accomplished from best candy awards from LRM to best paint at the Oakland Roadster Show.

It probably doesn't matter what I say because you've obviously got more time than I do to argue. Next time I try and give some advice I'll e-mail you first to see if It's o.k. ;)
good guy to listen too. knows his paint. show bound is also helpful. all painters tend to like certain ways of doing things. lord knows how much i know about that. a lot of what is asked on here usually can be seen with some panel shoot outs. pick what you like the most AFTER you have something in front of you to look at. in this case seems like a preference disagreement rather then a technique issue.

ps im still looking for Murano, i find it, but no one wants to come off it. i found lead based HOK pearls, but have no idea what they look like sprayed out. not going to buy it all up and not have the same results as the murano.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With the Ice pearl would there even really need to use the candy. I want the pearl effect to be really noticable.

·
Registered
802 Posts
The Ice pearl by itself would be very noticeable. I did a white BMW with white Ice pearl and it was loud but clean. Like Orange County 58 said, do some sprayouts, the combinations are endless.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
Hey TL any pics of the oriantal Blue on a black base?? I have a 68 Impala that I will be hooking up over the next year. I wanted something in blue and when you mention that combo, it caught my eye.....

Thanks
Alex

·
Registered
802 Posts
No, I don't have a pic right now, still waiting for the owner to finish putting the ride together. But when it's done I'll post a pic or two. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts