LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im sanding my regal down to bare metal...then doing all the metal and filler work. do i have use some sort of metal prep on it before i primer it?????

·
Registered
343 Posts
yes use metal prep, wipe it on then wipe it off before it drys. then u have 10 mintues to prime it after u wipe it down

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok should the metal prep go on before i do the filler work or after??
right now its down to bare metal...i need to know if i have to use this prep before i can start on the filler work.... :biggrin:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well..the metal prep..takes all the oils ect..off the metal..

Except when I did mine...I put some more on a rag..but not as much as the 1st time and let it dry....Don' t know if that's wrong..but sure it won't cause any problems! :cool:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Originally posted by KingLewi@Oct 8 2003, 06:11 PM
ok should the metal prep go on before i do the filler work or after??
right now its down to bare metal...i need to know if i have to use this prep before i can start on the filler work.... :biggrin:
after the filler work, and u dont put it on the filler itslef, just the bare metal. and dont let it dry on because it leaves a filmy residue that reduces the paint/primer adhesion ( if thats how u spell it lol). i just put some on a rag and wipe down one panle then immediatly dry it all off with a dry rag, then move onto another panel, it is the same idea as washing a car with reducer before spraying it except for bare metal :cool:

·
Registered
549 Posts
USE THE METEL PREP LIKE ALL THE OTHER GUYS SAID TO USE BUT U CANT USE JUST ANY REGULAR PRIMER BECAUSE OVER TIME AND DEPENDING ON WHERE U LIVE (WEATHER)U WILL START TO GET CORROSION BELOW THE PAINT.........SO BUY AN "ETCH PRIMER" OR JUST GOT TO SHERMAN WILLIAMS OR AN AUTOMOTIVE PAINT STORE AND ASK FOR A PRIMER THAT IS SPECIFICALLY FOR BARE METEL.........ANYOTHER DOESNT ADHERE TO METEL AS WELL

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so correct me if im wrong...

1..sand down to bare metal
2..pre clean the bare metal
3...repair any rust, pull/ fill any dings etc..
4... prep the bare metal areas, block sand filled areas, then prime entire panel w/ etching primer...
5. block and wet sand primered panel
6. use 2 part polyester glaze to fill any pinholes etc...
7..wet sand, pre clean and prime once more......
then it'll be ready for sealer and paint???

im doing all this work outside...i dont have a garage or shop...im doing one panel at a time... im getting most of my info out of john kosmoskis custom paint book...and fellow LIL members of course!!...just trying to do it right the first time around so i dont have any problems to go back and fix....thanks again for all the help!!!
:biggrin:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I grinded the body down till it mirrored and then sprayed Sikkens EP primer..
didnt use any metal prep or whatsoever at all.
i hope i did it the right way... flake job comming up.
:uh:
do i really need metal prep??

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by Mr Tinman@Oct 9 2003, 07:47 PM
I grinded the body down till it mirrored and then sprayed Sikkens EP primer..
didnt use any metal prep or whatsoever at all.
i hope i did it the right way... flake job comming up.
:uh:
do i really need metal prep??
It should be fine, I would have used the lessonal etch, its another akzo brand like sikkens but 1/2 the cost and works great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts