LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i under stand the black objects to the lefts are air springs, but they attach to the 4 - link in some type of air strut set up, those air springs are shockwaves...how would i put slam specialties there and how is this triangulated 4 link suppose to give me 3-4 inches of strock for every 1 inch of bag...if you have to put the bags where the bags are shown here, i dont see were this "pivot point" would be

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
with them mounted there, it's like a 1:1 ratio..

sandwich the bag between the front of the lower arm and the frame, then you have some multiplication factor going on...

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
kinda like this..

mounted near axle, fully inflated

mounted near pivot, fully inflated

·
Registered
327 Posts
216 Rider, I wish I would have seen that little sketch years ago; it took me FOREVER to understand in my head why mounting a 'bag on the lower link got ya better than 1:1. Maybe I'm just stupid, though. :uh:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx 4 the drawings bigdan but in that second one, where the bag is position on the 4-link and fram, wont the bag lift the frame right off of the 4-link? is that second drawing safe i dont see where you would put a bag mount on one of the links itself, how will it stay on/hold on

Last edited by CuttieBuddie at Oct 14 2003, 02:37 PM

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
um, the lower arms of the 4 link are mounted to the fram rails...

so all you're doing is moving the arm on the pivot...

you could weld a flat plate to the lower arm to mount the bag onto..

do this for an example..

grab a pair of scissors, and a quarter..

the quarter is your airbag and the blades are your lower link and frame...

put the quarter in between the blades all the way at the tip..

see how far the scissors are open?

now, slide the quarter toward the pivot, notice how much further they open as you do this..

that is the advantage of having the actuator near the pivot..

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
a little twist wont hurt what kinda vehicle is it that its going into
the 4-link should be hard as fuck most of them are 50/50/chomealloy

·
Registered
509 Posts
only disadvange is your load capacity goes down by the same ratio...if you get 4:1 lift ratio, youd better not be putting more than one quarter the weight limit of the bags onto them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts