LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem as me. I recently built a 64 impala convertible. I installed 2 cce competition pupms with 8 deka batteries 1250 cca. The car is waesome but after two weeks of mild hopping max around 24 inches, and 2 days of 3 wheeling. The passenger side axle or the drive axle slid half way out of the rear end. Obviously parts need to be replaced although i have yet to inspect it. Is there any way to prevent this from happening in the future? Along with the hydro set-up i also installed a new telescopic rear driveshaft with all new yokes and a heavy duty carrier bearing, an air-ride technologies panhard bar. Reinforced the rear trailing arms and did not alter the banana bar. The rear cylanders are 14'' Any helo would be greatly appreciated. I just want to figure out if it was the rears time to go, or if the hydros caused the failure and if so how to remedy to avoid furtjer incidents. Thanks again.

Laid Often

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by jtheshowstoppper@Sep 11 2006, 09:48 PM~6153310
same shit happen to us i heard u have to add a wishbone bone because when u lock up ur rearend slides out one side and that puts to much stress on rearend
All the weight and reversed wires puts a lot of extra stress on the bearings. the retainers loosen up and the axle slides out. Its not just from locking the car up.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Originally posted by skandalouz@Sep 11 2006, 10:35 PM~6152891
tack weld the bearing retainers to the axles,  or get a 9" rearend.  This is common on impala's.
X2

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Originally posted by skandalouz@Sep 11 2006, 08:35 PM~6152891
tack weld the bearing retainers to the axles,  or get a 9" rearend.  This is common on impala's.

this isn't the best solution as when you tack weld, you're welding to a hardened half shaft, which will make it weak at the wel dpoint and it will break after time. I know two people this has happened too and its been pretty disasterous in both instances.

The best solution, apart from a ford 9" are race spec halfshafts and bearings which have a greater load capacity :thumbsup:

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have tack welded those and had trouble with shearing the axles in half. About 8 years ago we start drilling and tapping the retaining ring to the axle and have not had a problem since. Right now the car is doing 60"+ and hittin a hard ass three-wheel.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by cm 1964@Sep 12 2006, 10:18 AM~6154891
I have tack welded those and had trouble with shearing the axles in half.  About 8 years ago we start drilling and tapping the retaining ring to the axle and have not had a problem since.  Right now the car is doing 60"+ and hittin a hard ass three-wheel.
yep. Ive been doing it that way for 20+ years

·
Premium Member
49,409 Posts
Originally posted by Tuna_Sammich@Sep 12 2006, 02:25 PM~6156938
yep.  Ive been doing it that way for 20+ years
:0 :0

·
over it
6,640 Posts
I have not used the drill and tap methode but I can say from experience DO NOT WELD THE AXLE. We broke no less than 4 axles on my boys 62 doing it that way. I would not mess with the stock if you plan on keeping the car, just go get a 9" with big axles. There has been a recent post about Toyota truck rear ends also you should check out.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Originally posted by Tuna_Sammich@Sep 12 2006, 02:25 PM~6156938
yep.  Ive been doing it that way for 20+ years

Thats impossible! You're only 19 yrs old.

·
SPELL CHECK
21,743 Posts
Originally posted by supreme+Sep 11 2006, 09:44 PM~6153289-->
spell check? :dunno:
[/b]
At least it was understandable. ;)

<!--QuoteBegin-cm 1964
@Sep 12 2006, 07:18 AM~6154891
I have tack welded those and had trouble with shearing the axles in half.  About 8 years ago we start drilling and tapping the retaining ring to the axle and have not had a problem since.  Right now the car is doing 60"+ and hittin a hard ass three-wheel.
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
49,409 Posts
Originally posted by impala_631@Sep 12 2006, 11:58 PM~6160432
thats strange, ive always herd to tack weld em in, i did on mine and had no problems, ill try drilling them in on this one
Both of mine are tacked on both sides....so far so good (Knock on Wood)

C

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by cm 1964@Sep 12 2006, 07:18 AM~6154891
by far the best fix.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts