LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is a 6" DONAHUE cylinder that I had on my 71 Impala. I don't know why it bent, but it did. Can anyone figure this out???
Before you ask, I DONAHUE made it...

Thanks in advance. Just need ideas.
Sorry for the size.

YL.

·
Premium Member
34,400 Posts
not a chrome moly shaft???? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
#1 cyl. angle
#2 over pressured on short springs
#3 soft shaft material
my $ 0.02

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
If in the front: Over locked on short springs, that should give a longer bend I think but it still might be it. Or hopped and dumped with funny cylinder angle.
If in the back: Funny mounted power balls (=wrong cyl. angle)

It can be alot of other things, but those are probably not a high quality cylinder anyway since it looks like it does now...

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Originally posted by badass 64@Sep 21 2005, 09:48 AM~3856462
If in the front: Over locked on short springs.
If in the back: Funny mounted power balls (=wrong cyl. angle)

It can be alot of other things, but those are probably not a high quality cylinder anyway since it looks like it does now...
i guess we think alike! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
:biggrin: nada! tryin to get my caddy together.....workin on usoforever,and project redo!!!!

·
Registered
563 Posts
looks like it was floating in the cup and not bolted to it like it was suppose to...

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by caranto@Sep 21 2005, 04:55 PM~3856498
:biggrin: nada! tryin to get my caddy together.....workin on usoforever,and project redo!!!!
Triple projects, damn bro! I know how that feels! I just finished my Panhead Chopper so now I'm working on the Fleetwood and the 64. One down , two to go! LOL!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help guys. It waz in the front. I am sure it was a CCE, and the coils are short. I am using some 1 ton chevy truck springs. They held up a 454. I have short cups, so I tack welded them to the spring, (according to Lowrider Magazine's suggestion.) I guess I will have to build biger spring cups, and make them deeper too. I have some pipe extension to weld to them.

Am I correct in that the spring and cup should be able to move separately?

Thanks again for the help. I don't want to bend my new Red's 8"s...

YL.

·
True-S Mike
251 Posts
Originally posted by Yeah-Low@Sep 22 2005, 09:56 AM~3863791
Thanks for the help guys. It waz in the front. I am sure it was a CCE, and the coils are short. I am using some 1 ton chevy truck springs. They held up a 454. I have short cups, so I tack welded them to the spring, (according to Lowrider Magazine's suggestion.) I guess I will have to build biger spring cups, and make them deeper too. I have some pipe extension to weld to them.

Am I correct in that the spring and cup should be able to move separately?

Thanks again for the help. I don't want to bend my  new Red's 8"s...

YL.
them springs are spongy bro. i used the same damn springs in the back of my caddy....... liftin the rear compressed them before the ass end lifted. ditch them now while you have a chance!

and i have nor would i ever weld my springs to the cup. just doesnt sound right to me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
well i had this happen to my friend on his monte he doesnt hop it... i pulled the cycls out and the bolts that hold the cup to the cyl was loose any how i took it apart and the end of the shaft is fucked so i tol him tto buy new oneswith out a taperd end.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You want them to compress a lil bro if you arent worried about hoppin. just depends on how much theyre compressing. and they shouldnt be compressing any unless your weight isnt fully on the springs when your dumped. personally if Im not hoppin I like to absorb the bumps instead of ridin like a log

1 - 16 of 16 Posts