LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
You are going to get ten different reasons. None of which are correct. The reason you extend is simply aesthetics.

·
Registered
16,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by OUTHOPU+Feb 4 2010, 09:23 AM~16509744-->
12,400 plus posts and you seriously don't know that by now?
[/b]
:0 I dont even have a car, let alone hyros. I'm a nigga with a bus pass

Originally posted by [email protected] 4 2010, 09:40 AM~16509904
You are going to get ten different reasons. None of which are correct. The reason you extend is simply aesthetics.
Thank you

<!--QuoteBegin-82 deville
@Feb 4 2010, 09:48 AM~16509998
\    /      looks better than    /    \        :biggrin:
I'm not a fan of either. I'd rather sit l l

·
LAC RIDAH
12,407 Posts
Originally posted by Ese Caqui@Feb 4 2010, 12:00 PM~16510123
:0  I dont even have a car, let alone hyros.  I'm a nigga with a bus pass
Thank you
I'm not a fan of either.  I'd rather sit  l  l

100% keepin it real. lol I don't like goofy cocked rims either.

But back to subject, correct camber for better tire wear, easier on upper balljoints, sits spindle level for better bounce, allows for taller spindle, won't bottom out as easy, might be wrong, who cares don't like anything over bout 1/2" extension anywayz.

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
Originally posted by Ese Caqui@Feb 4 2010, 11:00 AM~16510123
:0  I dont even have a car, let alone hyros.  I'm a nigga with a bus pass
Thank you
I'm not a fan of either.  I'd rather sit  l  l

well that car isnt gonna sit l l in both up and down positions...the suspension is gonna travel..so u may start out with l l and end up with / \

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
In most peoples opinion, tires look better a little \ / laid out than they do / \ locked up. Thats my reason for extending them 1/2 - 5/8" is plenty.

its funny, you'll see people be in a mad rush to get their arms extended before they even take the 1" of shims out. Lots of times, taking an even amount of shims on each bolt is enough.

It can releive balljoint stress (unless you use a joint that has full strength at every angle) but alot of guys extend them too much and do more damage from landing and maxing them out the other way.

Other reasons sighted for extending a-arms: better hop geometry. I dont think there's any sound evidence that shows the angle of the tire leaving the ground improves the hop,but I do know that with extended arms it is harder to bottom out,and your tires store a sideways momentum better when landing (dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing) because there's no quick camber change to soak up the swing of the lower a-arm straightening out,so the tire does.

If you want your cars camber to be as close to 0 through out the travel, taller spindles are your best bet. They will split the different between lowered and raised instead of making it really bad in one direction or the other.

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
Originally posted by AndrewH@Feb 4 2010, 02:43 PM~16512149
In most peoples opinion, tires look better a little \ / laid out than they do / \ locked up. Thats my reason for extending them 1/2 - 5/8" is plenty.

its funny, you'll see people be in a mad rush to get their arms extended before they even take the 1" of shims out. Lots of times, taking an even amount of shims on each bolt is enough.

It can releive balljoint stress (unless you use a joint that has full strength at every angle) but alot of guys extend them too much and do more damage from landing and maxing them out the other way.

Other reasons sighted for extending a-arms: better hop geometry. I dont think there's any sound evidence that shows the angle of the tire leaving the ground improves the hop,but I do know that with extended arms it is harder to bottom out,and your tires store a sideways momentum better when landing (dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing) because there's no quick camber change to soak up the swing of the lower a-arm  straightening out,so the tire does.

If you want your cars camber to be as close to 0 through out the travel, taller spindles are your best bet. They will split the different between lowered and raised instead of making it really bad in one direction or the other.

YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PRETTY SURE NOBODY IS GONNA READ ALL THAT LOL

·
Registered
150 Posts
Originally posted by FULLYCLOWNIN@Feb 4 2010, 06:09 PM~16514188
YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PRETTY SURE NOBODY IS GONNA READ ALL THAT LOL
x2 :biggrin:

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
IF YOUR CHAMBER IS / \ YOU ARE GOING TO PUT ALOT OF PRESSURE ON YOUR BALL JOINTS, AND ALSO ON YOUR STEERING. TIRE WEAR, THINGS LIKE THAT. IF YOU START OUT WITH A SLIGHT CHAMBER, DEPENDING ON HOW HIGH YOU LIFT THE CAR WILL CORRECT THE CHAMBER AND YOU WILL BE SITTING CLOSER TO EVEN. I HATE THAT SUPER EXTENDED SHIT

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
:
Originally posted by BIG DIRTY@Feb 5 2010, 05:55 PM~16525518
IF YOUR CHAMBER IS / \  YOU ARE GOING TO PUT ALOT OF PRESSURE ON YOUR BALL JOINTS, AND ALSO ON YOUR STEERING.  TIRE WEAR, THINGS LIKE THAT.  IF YOU START OUT WITH A SLIGHT CHAMBER, DEPENDING ON HOW HIGH YOU LIFT THE CAR WILL CORRECT THE CHAMBER AND YOU WILL BE SITTING CLOSER TO EVEN.  I HATE THAT SUPER EXTENDED SHIT
by all this chamber, u mean CAMBER?????????? :confused: :confused: :confused: :uh:

·
Mr. Paid
5,602 Posts
Originally posted by Ese Caqui@Feb 4 2010, 10:00 AM~16510123
I'm not a fan of either.  I'd rather sit   l   l
x2 that bull dog shits ugly. The factory makes the lower arms longer than the top so that the tire will stay flat when the car leans into a turn. You have to extend the upper to get it closer to the length of the lower, that way the tires don't lean in when you lift and lower. Mine are getting extended and then shimmed like a mufugga. Tires leaning out just looks like you cant afford an alignment.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Originally posted by chairmnofthboard@Feb 4 2010, 08:40 AM~16509904
xs100 it looks ugly if over done at that if you roll locked up all the time i can see a reason for it but if you ride fully extended your ride is horrible so whats the point?im old school and like my front butterflied keep your bulldog shit

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by rivman@Feb 5 2010, 10:12 PM~16526883
:
by all this chamber, u mean CAMBER

Automotive. the outward or inward tilt of a wheel, called positive when the top tilts outward and negative when it tilts inward, measured as the angle, in degrees, between the vertical and a plane through the circumference of the tire.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Originally posted by KINGFISH_CUSTOMS@Feb 4 2010, 02:51 PM~16511169
well that car isnt gonna sit l  l  in both up and down positions...the suspension is gonna travel..so u may start out with  l   l  and end up with /   \
should never be / \ with extended uppers(unless you extend them an inch and shim them an inch,which sets you back to factory which would cause / \)-should sit l l locked or lowered and just a slight \ / -if you only go 1/2" or so you wont really notice the bulldog effect :cool:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts