LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, im feeling mixed on this subject. the ID of a 1/2 line is 3/8 and the ID of a 5/8 line is 1/2...now there is a .045 diffrence. will there be a big,little, noticible diffrence in this?
with 1/2 valves that have a 5/8 orfice.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
theres actually .125 ID difference..

3/8 ID = .11 in/2

1/2 ID = .19 in/2

I honestly cant see it making that great of a difference, but who knows..

I've been wrong before..

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so. with the line changed from 1/2 to 5/8 i gain .125 in ID. (thanks for the corection)
now on to the fitting ID...will the 1/2 Ts and connectors match better with the 5/8 line?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by Mark@Dec 17 2003, 09:28 PM
ok, im feeling mixed on this subject. the ID of a 1/2 line is 3/8 and the ID of a 5/8 line is 1/2...now there is a .045 diffrence. will there be a big,little, noticible diffrence in this?
There's not very much difference but there is some. It takes the same amout of "volume" of air to lift that bag either way, but some say that the smaller line can be quicker at certain pressures.

Example - You're at a 2" height and want to lift to 3". (Just 'dummy' numbers, bear with me.) With the fat line, adding 1 quart of air may raise the inline pressure from 100 psig to 125 psig. But since this pressure is shared between the bag AND the hose to it, it may not necessarily raise the car up to the 3" mark and you need to add more air. But wth the smaller line, adding 1 quart of air raises the car/truck higher becauses even though the air is being shared by the bag and hose, the hose is using less, so more ends up in the bag. Hence the car/truck lifts higher on less air.

Of course, the difference is negligable. If you actually took measurements, it may be as little as a 1/16-of-a-inch diference. So can you tell the difference, at most 'real-world' pressures, not really. (But a lot of people do say that they feel the difference when they put their valves closer to the bags. This basically eliminates what I was talking about before... the bags and hoses sharing the same air.)

Last edited by BOUNCIN89MERC2LOW97LHS at Dec 18 2003, 05:21 PM

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Originally posted by BOUNCIN89MERC2LOW97LHS+Dec 18 2003, 02:14 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BOUNCIN89MERC2LOW97LHS @ Dec 18 2003, 02:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Mark@Dec 17 2003, 09:28 PM
There's not very much difference but there is some. It takes the same amout of "volume" of air to lift that bag either way, but some say that the smaller line can be quicker at certain pressures.

Example - You're at a 2" height and want to lift to 3". (Just 'dummy' numbers, bear with me.) With the fat line, adding 1 quart of air may raise the inline pressure from 100 psig to 125 psig. But since this pressure is shared between the bag AND the hose to it, it may not necessarily raise the car up to the 3" mark and you need to add more air. But wth the smaller line, adding 1 quart of air raises the car/truck higher becauses even though the air is being shared by the bag and hose, the hose is using less, so more ends up in the bag. Hence the car/truck lifts higher on less air.

Of course, the difference is negligable. If you actually took measurements, it may be as little as a 1/16-of-a-inch diference. So can you tell the difference, at most 'real-world' pressures, not really. (But a lot of people do say that they feel the difference when they put their valves closer to the bags. This basically eliminates what I was talking about before... the bags and hoses sharing the same air.)[/b][/quote]
yes i am one of those beleivers that is why i have 18 inches between my tanks and bags quik reaction

·
Registered
444 Posts
all i can say, is im running 1/2" ID valves with 1/2" (3/8" ID) airline... and it gets up and dumps quick, and with my big ole tires on it (no not 20's...) i could probably bounce my way to a small hop

·
Registered
456 Posts
Originally posted by JmG@Dec 18 2003, 11:06 PM
all i can say, is im running 1/2" ID valves with 1/2" (3/8" ID) airline... and it gets up and dumps quick, and with my big ole tires on it (no not 20's...) i could probably bounce my way to a small hop
at what pressure tho?

·
Registered
444 Posts
120 psi... and i hopped it last night. (not like a big one, but the tires lifted up

and if i ever got a compressor other than the shops... it will fill up to like 145 or so...

·
Registered
57 Posts
i just switched an s10 from 3/8 valves with 3/8 line to 3/8 valves with 1/2 in line and it made a hella lot a diffrence.. basicaly if you gonna run 1/2 valves go with either 5/8 or 3/4 line to get the full flow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts