LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People say that senthetic motor oil is really good but I dont know if is going to fuck up my motor or if is going to be good for it. :)

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
DO NOT put synthetic motor oil in a old engine. Sometime the old grunge is what holds a motor together. the synthetic will clean it out and change the tolerances in the engine. 10w30 please

Last edited by rollin low in a grand prix at Dec 10 2003, 06:05 PM

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by rollin low in a grand prix@Dec 10 2003, 08:04 PM
DO NOT put synthetic motor oil in a old engine. Sometime the old grunge is what holds a motor together. the synthetic will clean it out and change the tolerances in the engine. 10w30 please
Hey thanks rollin cause I was thinking of putting some in my motor but now for sure I wont cause I dont want to fuck up my motor. :cheesy: :) :cool:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Definitely dont do it.

I did it in my 68 Impala, thinking Mobil 1 full syntec was the best oil....ended up loosening up the motor, and it started knocking. Not good for old motors.

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
Are you sure since its rebuilt, just askin for myself too.

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
Originally posted by S10lifted@Dec 11 2003, 04:58 AM
What about that high milege oil?
my father says no to that stuff to....he knows alot about engines (ex mechanic) so i take his word on it

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
you shouldnt use it on break in and on older engines. It doesnt lubricate the seals the same way and it costs more. Plus,you cant mix it - so you would have to use the same type, and the same brand every time.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
It will cause your seals to leak.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Dudes you all need to step back for a sec and look. The brand, viscosity, or the blend has no effect on engine life. Just don't put gear oil in the motor. I ran synthetic in a 200,000 mile motor and if you change the oil every 3k, the only difference you will tell is your wallet gets lighter. No mechanical advantages have been found nor tested to increase the life of a gas engine. Even the additives for your oil are just crap. The main purpose of oil is not actually lubrication, its to entrap dubri, solvents and to cool everything. While providing lubricating properties. SAE tester here, come on now.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
ok this machinist at work told me for the winter put a whole rip banana in the oil he said it would thicken the oil but the car would still start cause the oil is still thin?

also he said for the main bearing to rip up a brown paper bag and put some oil on it and put in somewhere i dont remember but he said it will tighten up the bearing and the worst thing that could happen is it will be shreaded up...

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
;)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Originally posted by 67impala@Dec 14 2003, 01:20 PM
ok this machinist at work told me for the winter put a whole rip banana in the oil he said it would thicken the oil but the car would still start cause the oil is still thin?

also he said for the main bearing to rip up a brown paper bag and put some oil on it and put in somewhere i dont remember but he said it will tighten up the bearing and the worst thing that could happen is it will be shreaded up...

what do you guys think?
I think that the worst thing that could happen is that an oilway will get blocked up and the engine will be wrecked.

:0

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by M-827@Dec 14 2003, 08:11 PM

I think that the worst thing that could happen is that an oilway will get blocked up
who needs an oil :dunno:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Originally posted by 67impala@Dec 14 2003, 02:20 PM

what do you guys think?
:uh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts