LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
58,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not all of us have that Cali weather, can we hear some tips on winterizing your set ups especially want to hear from you guys up north where its cold as fuck.

Even though it gets cold here (not as bad as up north) it does get to freezing. Im trying to do what I can do to take care of the set up before that freezing temp hits. Thanks

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
All I do is every month hook up each battery to a slow charge, never had a problem with mine, my last set of batts are 5 years old and still no probs.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
if it was me.i would put the car at a nice ride hight and close the slow downs and pull the batts so they don't go bad.but if your cylinder leaks then you have a problem or if the car don't sit on the ground.you can dump it all the way and pull the batts so they stay warm.

·
Premium Member
58,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by 79swanginmalibu1@Oct 24 2007, 09:23 PM~9077415
if it was me.i would put the car at a nice ride hight and close the slow downs and pull the batts so they don't go bad.but if your cylinder leaks then you have a problem or if the car don't sit on the ground.you can dump it all the way and pull the batts so they stay warm.
What about setting it on jack stands so the wheels arent on the ground hanging loose.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
Originally posted by Skim@Oct 24 2007, 09:36 PM~9077533
What about setting it on jack stands so the wheels arent on the ground hanging loose.
Dont worry about all that, just dump it, unhook and keep your batts charged up you wont have any probs. ;)

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
Originally posted by Maximus1959@Oct 24 2007, 09:41 PM~9077579
What up 509Rider?
Whats up, hows the 59 treating you?

·
Premium Member
58,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by 509Rider@Oct 24 2007, 09:40 PM~9077571
Dont worry about all that, just dump it, unhook and keep your batts charged up you wont have any probs. ;)
;)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
sell the batteries to some fool trying to get they ride on in the winter and buy some fresh new dudes in the spring ;)

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
Originally posted by 206ness@Oct 25 2007, 12:54 AM~9078807
sell the batteries to some fool trying to get they ride on in the winter and buy some fresh new dudes in the spring ;)
:0 :cool:

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
Pay for a storage unit.. :biggrin:

i would use jack stand . Lift it slide them under and dump down. That way your tires have no flat spots.. Also since I drive during winter cruz's. I swap out to Hydro oil . ( jack oil ) or Trans.. But All my set up's is inside so just heater for me really.. Plus it help to have $ gells..

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
good batts have least a 6 month shelf life anyways, charge them and forget them, just charge them slowly next time you're preparing the car for the new season.

Put the car in place so you can work all around it if needed.

pull the wires and sit it on stock rims as with all the weight of these cars you'll get flat spots or weak walls at the bottom, or better still lift it up onto axle stands so the wheels are off the floor and dump the system so there is no pressure in the lines.

then you can do work on it through the winter, strip the system down for rebuild all without having to move it.

·
over it
6,640 Posts
If it gets really cold for long periods of time there is a chance of the batteries freezing which is almost a certain death sentance for them. I try to keep them above freezing temps at least and charge them periodicaly.

H

·
0 Posts
i put my batterys in my basement on a table and put a trickle charger on them once every few weeks i keep the table near the furnise so there warm not to hot not to cold

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
well winter is rainy here but not that cold nothing under 0
but rust here is the problem so i toke the advise for here and switch back to stock ugly 15"
I HATE EM!
raind once since than i know that if ill put on the 13" again it will start raining non stop

·
Registered
17 Posts
like jon said, jack stand the car to keep the spokes up and dump the pressure from the system, it gives the hoses a rest and you can redo seals and such without losing all your fluids

also an easy trick for the batteries is pull them out, keep them off the concrete, wire them in a full parallel and hook up a small 12v trickle charger, less than one amp or so. you can get them cheap at walmart and they will keep the batteries charged and ready to go for first ride out after the snow melts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
DONT PUT THE BATTERIES TO CLOSE TO THE FURNACE, ANY CORROSIVE GASSES WILL BE NATURALLY DRAFTED TO THE COMBUSTION AIR IN THE FURNACE, FURTHER MORE CAUSING DAMAGE TO THE FURNACE, IF YOU RENT, THEN FUCK IT, JUST MAKE SURE YOU ARENT GETTING CAUSTIC ACID GASSES IN THE COMBUSTION AIR

1 - 20 of 24 Posts