LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 6 1/2 sonys in my door can I hook them up to a 2 ch amp .speakers are 4 ohm also amp.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I kinda figured, I was trying to see if I could do that guess not but thanks homie.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the amp for years,and I dont know the specs,all the writing is gone on it. all I know is that it is a100 watt 2ch and it works prety good for being old.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Joe look up the model number of the amp online.

If it is 2 ohm stable you will have no problem running all four off the 2 channel amp.

If you need help pm me.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
im pretty sure if you run series + to - that will give you 4 ohm, and if you run parrallell wich is both + and both - that will give you 2 ohm. its been a long time so google series speaker wiring, you only want to run a really good amp that is designed for two ohm, not a cheap or medium quality cause youll burn it up faster

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys I will look into both your suggestions!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Originally posted by chongo1@Jan 19 2010, 08:12 PM~16343473
im pretty sure if you run series + to - that will give you 4 ohm, and if you run parrallell wich is both + and both - that will give you 2 ohm. its been a long time so google series speaker wiring, you only want to run a really good amp that is designed for two ohm, not a cheap or medium quality cause youll burn it up faster
Two 4ohm speakers in series is 8ohm, parallel is 2ohm.

I say wire each 2 speakers in parallel on each channel as I mentioned above, if the amp doesn't go into protect, you are fine, since you don't know model or specs.

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by 84Joe@Jan 19 2010, 01:04 PM~16338726
I have 4 6 1/2 sonys in my door can I hook them up to a 2 ch amp .speakers are 4 ohm also amp.
HERE YOU GO MAN, I HAVE DONE A 16 SPEAKER WIRED DOWN TO 1 OHM

THIS WILL GET YOU TO 4 OHMS WITH 4 SPEAKERS INTO 2 CHANNELS

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks homie I will try that!

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Originally posted by BIG DIRTY@Jan 24 2010, 02:59 PM~16394708
HERE YOU GO MAN, I HAVE DONE A 16 SPEAKER WIRED DOWN TO 1 OHM

THIS WILL GET YOU TO 4 OHMS WITH 4 SPEAKERS INTO 2 CHANNELS

very nice, however if its 4 ohm stable bridged, it should be 2 ohm stable stereo, being that when it is bridged, on a 4 ohm load, each side sees 2 ohms of resistance inside the amp....which is why 99% of all amps out there will put out the same power in either stereo lowest runable ohms, or bridged lowest runable.

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by draarong2004@Jan 24 2010, 10:41 PM~16398796
very nice, however if its 4 ohm stable bridged, it should be 2 ohm stable stereo, being that when it is bridged, on a 4 ohm load, each side sees 2 ohms of resistance inside the amp....which is why 99% of all amps out there will put out the same power in either stereo lowest runable ohms, or bridged lowest runable.
SERIES/PARELLEL, IT SHOWS BACK TO A 4 OHM LOAD. BUT IT ONLY WORKS IF ALL SPEAKERS ARE 4 OHMS. IF NOT JUST PLUG IN THE OHMS TO THE CALCULATOR. HERE YOU GO

OHMS CALCULATOR

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Originally posted by BIG DIRTY@Jan 25 2010, 03:25 PM~16405509
SERIES/PARELLEL, IT SHOWS BACK TO A 4 OHM LOAD. BUT IT ONLY WORKS IF ALL SPEAKERS ARE 4 OHMS.  IF NOT JUST PLUG IN THE OHMS TO THE CALCULATOR. HERE YOU GO

OHMS CALCULATOR
i know how that works, but you missed my point, thats putting a 2 channel amp that is known to handle 4 ohms on each channel, briding that amp and giving each channel 2 ohms of resistance.....in which case he could wire the speakers in parellel and have 2 seperate channels if it can be wired like this.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Run them in series. +- +- on each door and take it up to 8 ohm and be safe. Don't take it to 2 because the ohm load stabilty being unknown until u you tell us what amp and Manufacturer it is.

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by draarong2004@Jan 25 2010, 04:17 PM~16406046
i know how that works, but you missed my point, thats putting a 2 channel amp that is known to handle 4 ohms on each channel, briding that amp and giving each channel 2 ohms of resistance.....in which case he could wire the speakers in parellel and have 2 seperate channels if it can be wired like this.
SO JUST WIRE EACH CHANNEL INTO 8 OHMS, THEN PARELLEL THEM BACK AGAINST EACH OTHER TO CREATE THE 4 OHM LOAD. I AM STILL TRYING TO FIND THAT 45 SPEAKER WIRE JOB THEY DID BACK IN THE EARLY 90'S BUT CAN NOT FIND IT FOR NOTHING. BUT THEY WIRED 45, MAYBE 48 SPEAKERS ON ONE AMPLIFIER. AH PUNCH 45.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Originally posted by BIG DIRTY@Jan 25 2010, 05:34 PM~16408227
SO JUST WIRE EACH CHANNEL INTO 8 OHMS, THEN PARELLEL THEM BACK AGAINST EACH OTHER TO CREATE THE 4 OHM LOAD. I AM STILL TRYING TO FIND THAT 45 SPEAKER WIRE JOB THEY DID BACK IN THE EARLY 90'S BUT CAN NOT FIND IT FOR NOTHING.  BUT THEY WIRED 45, MAYBE 48 SPEAKERS ON ONE AMPLIFIER.  AH PUNCH 45.
they used to do that with those orion hcca 225 theyd wire a gang of speaks and drop the ohm load down 1/4 or 1/2, alot of that was to compete in a low class running big numbers, fricken cheaters lol :biggrin:

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by chongo1@Jan 27 2010, 09:08 PM~16433506
they used to do that with those orion hcca 225 theyd wire a gang of speaks and drop the ohm load down 1/4 or 1/2, alot of that was to compete in a low class running big numbers, fricken cheaters lol :biggrin:
:cheesy:
I WAS ONE OF THEM, RUNNING A PHOENIX GOLD 275 I HAD 12 SPEAKERS RUNNING TO ONE AMP.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes you can, most two channel amps run 2ohm stereo and 4 ohm bridged. Because they are the same speaker they take the same power so one won't be louder then the other. Hook front right and back right speakers to gather, Positive to positive and neg to neg. Now both speakers together if they are 4 ohms equal 2 ohms now. So hook it to the right channel and repeat the other side. You will only lose fade from front to back but you will still have stereo mode. If some reason you have 8 ohm speakers or two ohm speakers the wiring will be different. Any questions hit me up.

Caliboyzcustoms.com

1 - 20 of 23 Posts