LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read on a wheel dealer's site in the Shipping & Returns section that "wire wheels are recommended for car show use only".

WTF? Is this true? I'm just getting started on a 86 Monte daily driver, and 14" reverse wires were gonna be my first purchase. Do I need to buy something else to drive to work and home (30 minutes each way)?

I have a hard time believing that. Do any of yall drive your shit everyday with wires?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
12,529 Posts
they do that to protect themselves ..but i believe wire wheels are dot approved ...you will be safe as long you know how to put them on.. i been rolling knock offs for 7 years not with no problems

·
Man on a mission
54,029 Posts
Originally posted by 59Impala@Aug 29 2005, 08:40 AM~3712254
yea, they are just covering thier ass.
THATS THERE WAY OF GETTING OUT OF GIVING YOU A WARRENTY

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
And I don't blame them for stating that. I mean, look at how many people can't even put them on right :dunno:

·
Registered
12,100 Posts
I roll wires everyday, have been for years

I agree with d-cheese, thats just their way of not having to give you a warantee

·
Registered
368 Posts
Originally posted by D-Cheese@Aug 29 2005, 11:47 AM~3712294
THATS THERE WAY OF GETTING OUT OF GIVING YOU A WARRENTY

thats only on reversed rims...standards are for street with warranty and rev's are for show as they say...holla

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does the offset of reverses mess things up that bad? I've heard of deep negative offset rims messing up wheel bearings, but I never heard anything about messing up the wheels themselves. Glad I heard that, I was looking at 14x7 100 spokes reversed. Now I'll look again.

How far does the adapter push the wheel out from the hub?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Originally posted by Joe5pt0@Aug 29 2005, 10:53 AM~3712671
And I don't blame them for stating that. I mean, look at how many people can't even put them on right :dunno:

thats why i still have BOLT-ONS :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
58,442 Posts
Originally posted by willthom@Aug 29 2005, 12:36 PM~3712987
Does the offset of reverses mess things up that bad? I've heard of deep negative offset rims messing up wheel bearings, but I never heard anything about messing up the wheels themselves. Glad I heard that, I was looking at 14x7 100 spokes reversed. Now I'll look again.

Thats when people put reverse wheels on FWD cars.

·
Registered
366 Posts
my car sat on reverse bolt ons for almost 10 years and I drove it quite a bit back n forth from denver to nebraska several times and they stuck out a lot and I never had problems and now I have ko's standards and have had no problems as well so I would have to agree with the other fellas

·
Registered
942 Posts
i seen this guy on some k/offs gettin off the interstate,next thing i c is his rim rollin off tha car getin away from him,he musta put em on wrong

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I have ran 13 x 7 reverse knockoffs on a 74 Cutlass...an 84 Cutlass.....an 85 Cutlass...an 85 Lincoln Town Coupe.....a 73 Vert....and a 93 Towncar.....NEVER had a problem on ANY of them driving dailey over the last 10+ years. I have ran everything from RoadSTARS and players on up to many different sets of true Daytons....and once again never had one fall off....never had any wreck a car or be the basis of an accident.
Now I have also ran 14 x 7 reverse wires on both Coupe Devilles and on my Current 90 Towncar......NO problem with these either.....using (player?) knockoffs on the Caddi's and Daytons on my current TC.
I have heard the horror stories as well as the next...but if put on properly.....maintaned correctly...and YOUR TIRES kept up....than you shouldnt have a problem.
ALTHOUGH..I did have 14's rub on a few early 80's Olds when there was back seat passengers....I am not sure if you will experience this issue with your Monte but it is something to research AHEAD of time

God Bless..................RO

1 - 19 of 19 Posts