LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
over it
6,640 Posts
Are you refering to the upper A-arm? If not where is the part your talking about located on the car? I think you may be calling the part by a different name than most people know it as. What year and model of Lincoln?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by OUTHOPU+Aug 17 2006, 10:53 PM~5990938-->
Are you refering to the upper A-arm? If not where is the part your talking about located on the car? I think you may be calling the part by a different name than most people know it as. What year and model of Lincoln?
[/b]
ookkk i dunno what you would call it but anyone who knows about lincolns or fords or w.e know that from 91 down the upper arms are wishbones
and as for the model of lincoln its a 96 but all the the lincolns from 91 and til this present date da uppers are wishbones

<!--QuoteBegin-impala_631
@Aug 18 2006, 01:04 AM~5991728
the lincoln wishbone????
yea the lincoln wish bone .. do you or anyone else knows if you could extend them ?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Originally posted by wannahop@Aug 19 2006, 01:00 AM~5999341
i have a 95 same as yours exstended 1.5" and renforcedill put some pics up 2morrow
PICS :biggrin:

·
over it
6,640 Posts

Here are a few pics of Wannahops A-arms/wishbones. These were the best I could do, sorry they don't show all the work that went into them. I just removed the bushings tack welded some angle on to keep the ears lined up, then I cut them with a cut off wheel. I used some scrap thick wall tubing I had and cut 2 pieces 1.5" long and welded them back together. I ground the welds down and then plated the outside with one continiuos piece of 1/4" flat stock. I went over the bushing wholes and used a hole saw to open them back up after I finished and also added a couple of gussets on the top by the ball joint. It took me a whole weekend to do but I think they will hold up to anything we can throw at them. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
DAMNN THESE IS A LIL EXCLUSIVE. NEVER SEEN THEM BEFORE :0

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
you just have to make sure that you heat it first right? cause of them being cast? I've been looking for a set of 90 uppers to swap out on my 93... can these be reinforced strong enough to handle it?

·
EnViUs
22,931 Posts
Originally posted by 96' lincoln@Aug 19 2006, 01:14 AM~5999035
ookkk i dunno what you would call it but anyone who knows about lincolns or fords  or w.e know that from 91 down the upper arms are wishbones
and as for the model of lincoln its a 96 but all the the lincolns from 91 and til this present date da uppers are wishbones
yea the lincoln wish bone .. do you or anyone else knows if you could extend them ?
what your calling them makes sense due to the look of the arms...but ive never heard them called wishbones....weird lol.....if you want you can switch out the arms from an 80-91 lincoln towncar and youll be better off.....but they do say that you can reinforce and extend (as the pics above show) and it will be just as good...to be id rather rely on steel arms than aluminum arms...just me though...

·
over it
6,640 Posts
I didn't preheat but you could if your concerned about it.

The arms are not aluminium or cast iron, some sort of steel mix.

The stock arms may be strong but they do not offer enough adjustment at the ball joint to get the length we were after.

I would not swap for the older stuff, these are way easier to service. You can change a upper ball joint with 2 wrenches and since the ball joint is not a press fit you can get it apart without using a pickle fork which always destroys the rubber boot.

·
EnViUs
22,931 Posts
Originally posted by OUTHOPU@Aug 19 2006, 09:48 PM~6002429
I didn't preheat but you could if your concerned about it.

The arms are not aluminium or cast iron, some sort of steel mix.

The stock arms may be strong but they do not offer enough adjustment at the ball joint to get the length we were after.

I would not swap for the older stuff, these are way easier to service. You can change a upper ball joint with 2 wrenches and since the ball joint is not a press fit you can get it apart without using a pickle fork which always destroys the rubber boot.
the older arms are a pain in the ass to get the stock balljoints out but once you replace them with the bolt in ball joints there no hassle at all....4 7/16s nuts and bolts....2 wrenches also....and also the boot dont get messed up on removal....only when you remove the press ins.....i use the Napa Heavy dutys for my lincoln...no problems at all

·
over it
6,640 Posts
NAPA HD ball joints are a must for any lifted car. The older ball joints are a tapered shaft that is a press fit into the spindle isn't it? If so thats what I was refering to, getting the ball joint out of the spindle is super seay on the new ones since they just use a bolt through the spindle that lines up with a notch on the balljoint shaft. I like the way the ball joint mounts to the arm on the new ones because there are 2 studs that dont spin so you only need one wrench to get them off the arm, the second wrench removes the set bolt that passes throught the spindle.

We were looking at some of the older arms but the ball joint angle is not the same on the older cars. It may not matter but I just didn't think it was a good idea since it would have changed the caster angle pretty severely.

·
EnViUs
22,931 Posts
Originally posted by OUTHOPU@Aug 19 2006, 10:17 PM~6002621
NAPA HD ball joints are a must for any lifted car. The older ball joints are a tapered shaft that is a press fit into the spindle isn't it? If so thats what I was refering to, getting the ball joint out of the spindle is super seay on the new ones since they just use a bolt through the spindle that lines up with a notch on the balljoint shaft. I like the way the ball joint mounts to the arm on the new ones because there are 2 studs that dont spin so you only need one wrench to get them off the arm, the second wrench removes the set bolt that passes throught the spindle.

We were looking at some of the older arms but the ball joint angle is not the same on the older cars. It may not matter but I just didn't think it was a good idea since it would have changed the caster angle pretty severely.
yeah the older ones do have the tapered shaft....but the weight of the car presses them where they need to be....the Napa HDS are great...been on my car over a year now and i have not been easy on it.......the newer arms do look simple compared to the old ones....either way it looks good installed...theres been quite a few people that say they have extended and reforced the newer arms but i belive these are the 1st pics to be posted about this subject...nice work

·
over it
6,640 Posts
Thanks. I put a lot of effort into my work to make sure its done right and looks right. I know what you mean about "talk" when it comes to the new arms. I almost didn't want to post pics but figured I'd contribute some good info for the new body guys. Now everbody can stop buying a bunch of junkyard parts they don't really need. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 97 Posts