LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, ive had this problem for awhile now and cant seem to figure out what it is. Ive had several things installed in my car and since that last upgrade, it was running fine for about 2 weeks, then the car just died. I can jump it, but when i go to turn on my compressors the car dies out. Everytime i go to turn up my system, the stereo turns off on its own like it dosent have enough power to hit the hard notes!! so i got a optima gel cell battery and put in a chrome 200 amp alternator and it started right up till the battery completely drained out again!!! I jumped it again and it stays started, but i cant turn on any accesories, and as soon as i turn the car off, it wont start back up!! So the alternator is not keeping the battery charged!! Does anyone know what else it could be? Is there something shorting out my battery so it wont charge properly? could it be a bad alternator? how can i check? any help please would be greatly appreciated!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
To me it sounds like your alt.....90% of the time if u jump your car and it stays runnin then if u turn on the stereo or a/c and it dies its cuz you alt is no good or somehow its not chargin the battery..i'd have the alt checked out..sometimes even brand new they have somethin wrong with them..

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx alot man!!! Im probably gonna take the alternator off and go get it checked today!! But I'm still look'n for other problems if anyone can think of any just in case it isnt the alternator?! :biggrin:

·
Registered
168 Posts
u might have an internal ground somewhere in the ground. it sounds to me like your slowly killing charge. check to see it your grounding a power wire somewhere. There's a way to check , i think this is how u do it if im wrong ...somebody correct me. take a tester if u put it to your battery neg and pos terminal so it shows voltage(12.5 -13.50 volts ...something like that......useing this principle, useing this tester put one side of the tester to the neg- of the battery and one to the chassis(body) ...therefore if u see your tester light up or show voltage depending on what type of tester u are using that means u have a wire grounding out.

good luck

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by maltonstar@Oct 3 2003, 04:32 PM
u might have an internal ground somewhere in the ground. it sounds to me like your slowly killing charge. check to see it your grounding a power wire somewhere. There's a way to check , i think this is how u do it if im wrong ...somebody correct me. take a tester if u put it to your battery neg and pos terminal so it shows voltage(12.5 -13.50 volts ...something like that......useing this principle, useing this tester put one side of the tester to the neg- of the battery and one to the chassis(body) ...therefore if u see your tester light up or show voltage depending on what type of tester u are using that means u have a wire grounding out.

good luck
when you do this shouldnt the radio and etc be on?

·
Registered
168 Posts
i dont think so, but try it with the car on and off and with things on like the radio. Main thing if it shows power theres a wire grounding out.

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by maltonstar@Oct 3 2003, 04:43 PM
i dont think so, but try it with the car on and off and with things on like the radio. Main thing if it shows power theres a wire grounding out.
gotcha :thumbsup: im thinking of something else then :)

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
Originally posted by maltonstar@Oct 3 2003, 01:32 PM

good luck
the battery voltage part is correct...
however u have to remember that there should be a wire that connects the -'ve of the battery to the body of the car.. all cars are like this.. there should aslo be one that goes from the battery to the engine...
by the sounds of it it's like the alt is faulty.. u can test this by starting the car.. then disconnecting the battery.. if the alt is working then the car will continue to run.. if not then that means that the car is trying to use the battery to keep running.. once started the battery is not usually needed to keep a car running.. unless u overload the output rating on the alt.. then it turns to the battery for the extra power needed..

check the alt.. the way u posted the first post makes it sound like that is the problem.
layta
p.s.
as stupid as it sounds make sure it is hooked up right as well. if u have a voltmeter put it across the battery terminals(one on + and one on- ) and u should have a voltage of around 14.6 or so volts.. anything over 15 is too high(will boil the battery) anything under 14 would be low(not enough to sustain the running of the car and acessories).
layta

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Yeah try that out, with the car running and no accessories on, pull the neg on the battery and see if it stays running.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts