LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
I wouldn't, you really need a little bigger than that. Like a stick welder with 7018 Or a Miller 175 mig welder. You can weld with a 110 - but, I don't know If I'd weld power balls on with it, OR reinforce the frame.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that I can't do the frame with it. I am thinking about buying a little 110v to do some small stuff. I usually go to my dads and use his 220 but, it gets old. I forget what I usually put the settings on for the powerballs. So if anyone knows that would be great.

·
Registered
56 Posts
buy a lincolin 3200hd 110v welder . bad ass welder it will weld 5/16 steel and light aluminum forget those old welders . ican burn through 1/4 with no problemsalso can be used as a mig welder . I paid $560.00 at home depot won`t be disappointedwith it

·
Registered
840 Posts
On the same subject sort of....is there a welder that can be used (preferably a mig) that doesn't need 220v household current but runs off something else and will perform reinforcements? Is a generator too sporatic to supply power to a 220v welder? Any other options? My landlord won't let me alter the garage for with a 220v socket :( Thx for any info.

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Originally posted by kaddylowrider@Nov 26 2003, 04:34 PM
On the same subject sort of....is there a welder that can be used (preferably a mig) that doesn't need 220v household current but runs off something else and will perform reinforcements? Is a generator too sporatic to supply power to a 220v welder? Any other options? My landlord won't let me alter the garage for with a 220v socket :( Thx for any info.
Tell your Landlord you'll pay a professional to install it. Then when you move, it might be more desirable to the new renter, if the new renter has their own 220 washer/dryer.

BTW, does your neighbor have 220? Hmm...

·
Registered
840 Posts
Originally posted by Hydros+Nov 26 2003, 08:30 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Hydros @ Nov 26 2003, 08:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--kaddylowrider@Nov 26 2003, 04:34 PM
On the same subject sort of....is there a welder that can be used (preferably a mig) that doesn't need 220v household current but runs off something else and will perform reinforcements?  Is a generator too sporatic to supply power to a 220v welder?  Any other options?  My landlord won't let me alter the garage for with a 220v socket :(   Thx for any info.
Tell your Landlord you'll pay a professional to install it. Then when you move, it might be more desirable to the new renter, if the new renter has their own 220 washer/dryer.

BTW, does your neighbor have 220? Hmm...[/b][/quote]
I do have a 220v washer/dryer hook up in the house but nothing in the garage. And I'm not sure how he would react to getting one in the garage since he's an energy conservationist for a living besides renting out the duplex I live in. He pays the electrical and called me a few months asking me if I wanted him to do a meter check on all my electrical items since the bill went up more than normal :angry: He's so anal about his place that when I had cable installed, he drew a diagram for the installer on where he wants the lines to run horizontal or vertical on the house. I even had to short change myself and go with a 115v air compressor that cost almost as much as a 220v one :( Anyways I don't think he'd go along with it but thanks for the input.

Last edited by kaddylowrider at Nov 26 2003, 09:15 PM

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by S10lifted@Nov 26 2003, 05:10 PM
Could I use a 110v welder to weld some powerballs on a rearend?
I know this would be ghetto but, what if I bought some of the wire they use for a 220 plug and made an extension cord out of it? Would that work? Basically, all I have here is 110 besides the dryer.

Last edited by S10lifted at Nov 26 2003, 09:34 PM

·
Registered
840 Posts
How about the Lincoln Pro Mig 135? Would this do 1/4 inch steel efficiently on a frame? I asked this before but didn't get a good response.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Originally posted by S10lifted+Nov 26 2003, 09:32 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (S10lifted @ Nov 26 2003, 09:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--S10lifted@Nov 26 2003, 05:10 PM
Could I use a 110v welder to weld some powerballs on a rearend?
I know this would be ghetto but, what if I bought some of the wire they use for a 220 plug and made an extension cord out of it? Would that work? Basically, all I have here is 110 besides the dryer.[/b][/quote]
Apparently from what I just read elsewhere, these cords are sold already made but I'm not sure of the hazards or whatever. It'd be great to run an extension from my dryer outlet but just seems too good.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Originally posted by kaddylowrider@Nov 26 2003, 10:37 PM
How about the Lincoln Pro Mig 135?  Would this do 1/4 inch steel efficiently on a frame?  I asked this before but didn't get a good response.
no it does 3/16's max, im looking for a welder to do my frame and i think the smallest you can get away with is the lincoln Mig 175, and im not positive but the shorter the cable comin from your 220 volt plug the better, the longer it gets the more resistance and the hotter the cable can get...

Last edited by HiLow at Nov 26 2003, 10:46 PM

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you want to run an extension cord, just be darn sure that the cord can handle the kind of current that the welder will be pulling!!!!!!! You wouldn't want stuff catching on fire now would ya!!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Yeah that's what I figured. Did seem to good to be true. I'll just go with my buddies up the road since they do frames anyway and have the right equipment. I just wanted to do welding on my own but at least they know what they're doing. I'll get a 115v mig anyway for the rest of the work like the body panels and such. Thx for input guys. Sorry for intruding on your topic with my questions s10 ;)

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Hey I still run a cord from my kitchen stove to the garage. I went to the surplus store and got some damn big cord with six strands of wire. I doubled up on them and used a plug to fit on each end, cost me like 50.00 to make.

Just tell you landlord you'll pay what ever extra the bill is. Be careful around these winter months. Or tell him you'll pay over what last years bill was, per KW used.

HINT, always buy more cord than you'll think you'll need. :angry:

Last edited by Hydros at Nov 26 2003, 10:34 PM

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So can anyone answer my question on whether or not a 110 welder can weld powerballs on a rearend?

·
Registered
343 Posts
i think you can buy extension cords for welders, at work we have the big lincoln welder hooked up to 3 extensions cords, i'll ask tomorrow and see where they bought them from, and i wouldnt trust a 110 welder on powerballs

·
Registered
307 Posts
a 110 welder isnt going to burn into the metal like a 220 will, its just going to booger up and might stick, but will bust right off, never use them for shit that you want to actually hold, a 110 is about only good for patchwork and body pannels and shit like that

·
Registered
379 Posts
plug an extention cord in where your dryer goes and run it out the window thats what i used to do when i lived at home. Don't weld power balls on with a 110 mig. you need alot more amps than that to get a good penitration on thick steel. I have a 110 welder at the shop thats for stick does 90 amps and i wont use it for structure . I usually weld that stuff with 1/8 7018 at like 120 amps straight polarity. ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts