LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering the methods which you guys use when wrapping a frame to avoid distorting it. The frame in question is a 63 Impala. I was thinking 1/4" plate all 4 sides (overkill? not thick enough?)

This will not be a dedicated hopper by any means... but i want to be able to 3 wheel all day and hop a little without worrying that i will damage anything with the frame.... im doing a frame off resto on the car so i might as well do it all right.

Should i tack all the sections on first then start welding or is it ok to go piece by piece? I know there must be a lot of tips floating around out there/differing opinions. What about when it comes to spring perches ect?

I want to do it right the first time... and this will be the first frame i have done of my own. All advice, comments or criticism of my ideas is appreciated - im here to learn ;)

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
im doin' a full frame off too right now and im allmost done with the frame -all 4 sides. (same type of frame as yours)

i had all the plates laser cut and i dont use any heat to shape them over the frame so that requires a little more work but it's all good,

i shape all the plates before i put them on the frame.
you'll need a bunch of clamps, and a nice round hammer to make the plates fit perfectly tight around some of the places of the frame.

hole drilling the plates is allso good at some parts, i kinda overkilled my frame alittle with double inside walls in the upper a-arm mounts and stuff like that, and i allso cut some brackets off before plating it...

since im doing this right now i got a bunch of tips so just hit me up with a pm and i'll answear your questions. ;)

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot man... your advice is much appreciated!

Was it expensive to get them all laser cut? You mean like machine laser cutting or plasma cutting by hand? I was planning on hiring a plasma cutter for the weekend once im ready to do mine and have all the templates cut ect. If you are taking any photo's of the process i would be very interested in having a look at what you are up to over there..... i'll send you a PM with my email addy.

Anyone else out there got some advice for a keen student?
:cool: I want to do it all right the first time.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by LowDownUnder@Nov 18 2003, 10:10 AM
Thanks a lot man... your advice is much appreciated!

Was it expensive to get them all laser cut? You mean like machine laser cutting or plasma cutting by hand? I was planning on hiring a plasma cutter for the weekend once im ready to do mine and have all the templates cut ect. If you are taking any photo's of the process i would be very interested in having a look at what you are up to over there..... i'll send you a PM with my email addy.

Anyone else out there got some advice for a keen student?
:cool: I want to do it all right the first time.
i got them laser cut, not plasma. laser cutting is a bit expensive but the dude who's got this giant machine at he's work is a good friend of mine so we did it all at a weekend... ;)

and i got a bunch of pics of everything, i will post em up for you as soon as i get a hold of the disc they're on...

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Originally posted by LowDownUnder@Nov 17 2003, 05:10 PM
i want to be able to 3 wheel all day and hop a little without worrying that i will damage anything with the frame....
fibreglass the insides of the rear 1/4s

Last edited by Low_Ryde at Nov 19 2003, 12:00 PM

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks badass... cant wait to get a look at what you are up to there :cool:

Yup low_ryde.... will be glassin up in there too ;) As i said... hopping isnt a big concern... but i want to 3 A LOT!

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Originally posted by Hydros+Nov 18 2003, 10:34 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Hydros @ Nov 18 2003, 10:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Low_Ryde@Nov 18 2003, 07:58 PM

Yeah, I seen that, what's that for?[/b][/quote]
so your quarter panels dont buckle

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Originally posted by HiLow+Nov 18 2003, 10:42 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (HiLow @ Nov 18 2003, 10:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2003, 10:34 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Low_Ryde
@Nov 18 2003, 07:58 PM

Yeah, I seen that, what's that for?
so your quarter panels dont buckle[/b][/quote]
Thanks,

Like when doing 3wheel would cause them to buckle? Is this the only reason why they would?

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by Hydros+Nov 19 2003, 10:58 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Hydros @ Nov 19 2003, 10:58 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2003, 10:34 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Low_Ryde
@Nov 18 2003, 07:58 PM

Yeah, I seen that, what's that for?

so your quarter panels dont buckle
Thanks,

Like when doing 3wheel would cause them to buckle? Is this the only reason why they would?[/b][/quote]
if the frame aint done up right the rear 1/4's will most likely buckle after a while from doing 3's, but i dont think fiberglassing is nessacary if you do everything right...

most cars allready has a c-channel between the rear arches,
(just infront of the rearbumper) this wants to twist when you ride on 3 and thats mostly what causes the 1/4's to buckle so wrap that real good to tie the rear arches together along with the rest of the frame and get poly uretane body mounts.

no matter how good the frame is wraped if you dont get stiff bodymounts the body will still buckle.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by LowDownUnder@Nov 22 2003, 03:13 AM
yeah thanks people... much appreciated

Badass.... u get that CD with the pics on yet? ;)
no i havent got it yet, i'll hit you up with a pm ones i get it...

·
Registered
92 Posts
how bout going over the factory welds, is that a waste of time or is it worth doing before plating?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Originally posted by Berg@Nov 22 2003, 08:14 AM
how bout going over the factory welds, is that a waste of time or is it worth doing before plating?
Yes.

You Can Never Be Too Careful.

I Did That To The Frame On My 67 Before I Wrapped It :biggrin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts