LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get the wrinkles in like maybe the trim? I know how, I mean how do you join the two pieces of fabric together? Do you just wrinkle the fabric and then sew a line to hold the wrinkles in and then sew your other fabric to it just like if you were doing it without the wrinkles or what? I broke out the old sewing machine and started on some of my interior. I decided to add some wrinkles now. ;)

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
OF COURSE, TAKE MESUREMENTS OF THE LENGTH THAT YOU NEED. TAKE YOUR MATERIAL AND RUN ONE SIDE THROUGH THE SEWING MACHINE. AS YOU RUN IT THROUGH, BUNCH IT TOGETHER TO MAKE YOUR WRINKLES. THEN, AFTER YOU'VE DONE THE WHOLE LENGTH, TURN IT OVER TO THE OPPOSITE SIDE (NOT THE BACKSIDE) AND DO IT THE SAME WAY. THEN, JUST GLUE THE MATERIAL ONTO YOUR FOAM AND PULL TIGHTLY. I'M NOT AN EXPERT, SO MAYBE SOMEONE ELSE CAN EXPLAIN IT BETTER. I KNOW THAT MAURICE IS GOOD AT IT (WIRED 62). JUST TRYING TO HELP. ;)

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Couple of different ways to do it:

If you are just stapling the fabric to the a panel, you can make wrinkles(pleats) by folding the material into pleats and stapling the pleats as you make them. You only have to do one edge of the fabric.

You can sew the pleats into fabric like locomaz said, or you can sew a length of elastic onto one side of the fabric, stretching the elasticas you so it onto the fabric. Once done, the elastic will bunch up the fabric as it returns to it's original length.

You can take your fabric and loop it around some string or cord and sew it so it stays looped around. Something like making welting, but not as tight. Then all you have to do is bunch the fabric up on the cord or string.

Some other tips:
If you want to know how much fabric it will take to cover a panel with pleats, just measure the length and add another third.

Use dacron over the foam before you cover it. It will make you panel look fuller and better hide the sharp edges of the foam. It is not necessary or desirable to glue the material to the foam.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok maybe I need to clarify. I know how to make the wrinkles but how do you join other material to the wrinkles. Like if I was doing my seats and wanting the sides done with the wrinkles. Is that better? Thanks for the help so far guys it is appreciated. And Mo if you see this can you give me a price for about 20 yards of crushed velvet and a price for 20 yards of regular velvet? Thanks everyone.

Last edited by S10lifted at Sep 2 2003, 07:50 PM

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
If you are trying to make some of the sections of your regular seat pleated ones then the pleats should be sewn onto thin foam that has a fabric backing on it (I call this foam scrim, there may be other names for it). You would sew the pleats onto one end of the foam panel, then again on the opposite side. This panel then would be sewn onto the other part of the seat. Again, the foam would give the panel a little body, without having to add additional foam later. I would take some pics to show you, but I am not doing any cars right now that will be using pleats in regular car seats. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright thanks and if you have any pics of interior work in progress that would be great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts