LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so starting yesterday i left the house and i put it into reverse.
it i guess reved up the engine and didnt do anything but back up real slow like i didnt have any power going to it?
it also stalls out from time to time.
and when i have it in drive it magically shifts into nuteral.

is the tranny going bad?

i have 22s on a rebuilt 3.8 v6
the rims are bein pushed fine by it im just not sure the trannys holdin up?

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
doesnt sound good. but maybe the gear selector on the tranny isnt adjusted right. It may say your in drive but the gear selector on the tranny is only half way into drive, and so on. YOu have to have someone under the car that can turn the selector and hear it click into drive and then see if it says drive in your gauges. The rod that comes from the firewall down to that selector can be adjusted. But of course check your fluid

·
OHH YEEEAH!!!!
1,713 Posts
Take the pan off and replace the filter & gasket. Take note of any little pieces of metal and/or an abundance of a black sludgey type of (clutches) material. Put new fluid in, or maybe strain the old stuff with a lot of paint strainers :dunno: , put some normal sized wheels on it and don't be rev'ing it up trying to get it to go.
Read whats on the dipstick.
It's going to go out, but that might help it live a little longer.

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
22s weight ALOT more than stock wheels! Thats ALOT more difficult for the motor to turn as Im sure you noticed how much slower acceleration was since you put them on. No doubt that sped up the time left the tranny had to live. You got a rebuilt motor and now its probably time to have a rebuilt tranny.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info guys yes ive noticed the accerlation difference and such. tomorrow im gonna try and figure out how to look at the filter and things
can somebody lead me to where its at? is it going to be the circle thingy at the back of the T? like the O--I--O the lil hump in between the wheels and stufF?

·
Registered
140 Posts
thanks for the info guys yes ive noticed the accerlation difference and such. tomorrow im gonna try and figure out how to look at the filter and thingscan somebody lead me to where its at? is it going to be the circle thingy at the back of the T? like the O--I--O the lil hump in between the wheels and stufF?
square pan in the center with about 10-12 bolts holding it on. Leave 2 corner bolts on same side on, so fluid will drain to one side, then remove pan.

·
i dont feel tardy
20,934 Posts
ok so starting yesterday i left the house and i put it into reverse.
it i guess reved up the engine and didnt do anything but back up real slow like i didnt have any power going to it?
it also stalls out from time to time.
and when i have it in drive it magically shifts into nuteral.

is the tranny going bad?

i have 22s on a rebuilt 3.8 v6
the rims are bein pushed fine by it im just not sure the trannys holdin up?
your faggotry rubbed off on it :dunno:

·
Registered
870 Posts
Your most likely gonna need a heavyer duty rear end usually trannys dont last long when you add 22's to a car thats factory made to ride on 17's same happens to cars when u drop a higher powered engine and keep the factory rear end shit just eats up the sprockets in your tranny it probably wouldnt of happened if you had 13's on it cause the gear ratios would be diffrent to the size of the wheels imagine one lil sprocket pushin a bunch of power to move one giant sprocket and when u add 22's the power gets even greater were it eventually just starts breaking pieces of teeth ur "shifting magically" from D to N might be your linkage cable draggin or catching onto something pullin it down into N i would just go trough your entire tranny system or have a pro do it for you if you dont know what your doing :dunno: hope i helped...

·
Registered
12,863 Posts
Your most likely gonna need a heavyer duty rear end usually trannys dont last long when you add 22's to a car thats factory made to ride on 17's same happens to cars when u drop a higher powered engine and keep the factory rear end shit just eats up the sprockets in your tranny it probably wouldnt of happened if you had 13's on it cause the gear ratios would be diffrent to the size of the wheels imagine one lil sprocket pushin a bunch of power to move one giant sprocket and when u add 22's the power gets even bigger were it eventually just starts breaking pieces of teeth ur "shifting magically" from D to N might be your linkage cable draggin or catching onto something pullin it down into N i would just go trough your entire tranny system or have a pro do it for you if you dont know what your doing :dunno: hope i helped...

damn that is one impressively cut open transmission.
i knew this one crooked mechanic that would pour brake fluid in the transmission when he would sell used cars.

·
i dont feel tardy
20,934 Posts
Your most likely gonna need a heavyer duty rear end usually trannys dont last long when you add 22's to a car thats factory made to ride on 17's same happens to cars when u drop a higher powered engine and keep the factory rear end shit just eats up the sprockets in your tranny it probably wouldnt of happened if you had 13's on it cause the gear ratios would be diffrent to the size of the wheels imagine one lil sprocket pushin a bunch of power to move one giant sprocket and when u add 22's the power gets even greater were it eventually just starts breaking pieces of teeth ur "shifting magically" from D to N might be your linkage cable draggin or catching onto something pullin it down into N i would just go trough your entire tranny system or have a pro do it for you if you dont know what your doing :dunno: hope i helped...

that looks like a mechanical transmission

if his auto transmission was screwing up he would notice it slipping in all gears that slipping would be exaggerated because of the higher torque needed to get the rims spinning. BUT the bigger rims are actually better on the transmission and drive line then say 13's

13's spin at a higher rpm at speed which creates more heat in the drive line the bigger the rim the less rpm it takes at speed to keep it turning the cooler the transmission runs the better off the transmission is. where a car suffers most on bigger rims is braking

wouldnt even worry about the take off torque needed unless hes trying to spin em over and i doubt that with that 3.8

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
damn that is one impressively cut open transmission. i knew this one crooked mechanic that would pour brake fluid in the transmission when he would sell used cars.
that cause it swells the seals and stuff and makes it drive long enuff to get off the lot

·
PIMPIN'AINT DEAD
3,112 Posts

if his auto transmission was screwing up he would notice it slipping in all gears that slipping would be exaggerated because of the higher torque needed to get the rims spinning. BUT the bigger rims are actually better on the transmission and drive line then say 13's

13's spin at a higher rpm at speed which creates more heat in the drive line the bigger the rim the less rpm it takes at speed to keep it turning the cooler the transmission runs the better off the transmission is. where a car suffers most on bigger rims is braking

wouldnt even worry about the take off torque needed unless hes trying to spin em over and i doubt that with that 3.8
what he said

·
LAKELAND FLA
8,064 Posts

U C THATS WERE MOST PEOPLE FUCK UP AT,,,THATS NOT TRUE CUZ SINCE DA RIMS ARE BIGGER AND HEAVIER IT HAS TO WORK HARDER TO TURN THEM WHICH MAKES IT GET HOT TOO,HOMIE HAD 22S ON HIS MONTE AND TRANSMISSION FUCKED UP.,UD BE GOIN 40 MPH ND IT WOULD COME TO A DEAD STOP BY ITSELF AND GO IN REVERSE BY ITSELF,,PUT 13S ON IT AND NEVA HADA PROBLEM

1 - 20 of 22 Posts